OT (because it's dead around here today): best meat for grilling

grilled chicken breasts...no thanks. In fact -- no thanks to chicken breasts cooked any way that isn't battered and fried.

favorite grilled foods -- no order

1. bone in thighs; plain bbq rub and glazed with sauce, or tandoori/shawarma/asado marinade

2. Thin center-cut pork chops

3.  Quarter-pounder cheeseburgers, ground chuck or sirloin 85%

4. New york strip

5. Jalapeno poppers

Definitely want to do a smoke-fried bologna chub this summer. All the rage on Facebook reels over the past year.

Gonna be firing up some ribs next weekend for visiting family. TBD pork or beef. Smoked beef plate ribs are incredible with chimichurri or horseradish sauce, but the cut can be a bit difficult to procure.

1 hour ago, bleujay said:

grilled chicken breasts...no thanks. In fact -- no thanks to chicken breasts cooked any way that isn't battered and fried.

favorite grilled foods -- no order

1. bone in thighs; plain bbq rub and glazed with sauce, or tandoori/shawarma/asado marinade

2. Thin center-cut pork chops

3.  Quarter-pounder cheeseburgers, ground chuck or sirloin 85%

4. New york strip

5. Jalapeno poppers

Definitely want to do a smoke-fried bologna chub this summer. All the rage on Facebook reels over the past year.

Gonna be firing up some ribs next weekend for visiting family. TBD pork or beef. Smoked beef plate ribs are incredible with chimichurri or horseradish sauce, but the cut can be a bit difficult to procure.

Agree on the bone in thighs.  Sometimes I'll use leg quarters and go with a salt, pepper and garlic rub.  Center cut pork chops are amazing. I prefer thick cuts, but if you buy a whole loin, you can cut them however you want.  Just general knowledge I'm throwing out, the USDA 4 or 5 years ago said medium rare pork is safe to eat.  I cook my pork chops to 140 and they are juicy and lip-smacking good. Mrs. cip and I had NY strips, baked potatoes and asparagus last night.  Outstanding!  Lastly, on the plate ribs, we don't have the whole plate, but our short ribs are cut from that.  PM me if you want info. 

17 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

Agree on the bone in thighs.  Sometimes I'll use leg quarters and go with a salt, pepper and garlic rub.  Center cut pork chops are amazing. I prefer thick cuts, but if you buy a whole loin, you can cut them however you want.  Just general knowledge I'm throwing out, the USDA 4 or 5 years ago said medium rare pork is safe to eat.  I cook my pork chops to 140 and they are juicy and lip-smacking good. Mrs. cip and I had NY strips, baked potatoes and asparagus last night.  Outstanding!  Lastly, on the plate ribs, we don't have the whole plate, but our short ribs are cut from that.  PM me if you want info. 

There's something about smoking the whole plate that delivers a much more robust bark than the individual ribs. I also feel that the end result is more succulent, but I could be wrong. Similar to you guys, many grocers now seem to just receive pre-cut ribs (either individual ribs or cross-cuts that are commonly used in East Asian cuisine BBQ dishes). I like the braise the individual ribs -- either the classic French approach w/ a celery-carrot-onion mirepoix, tomato paste and red wine, also works very well for barbacoa/birria tacos.

Seems like the pandemic has caused a shift in the market or something...when I made beef ribs a few years ago, it was as simple as picking up a plate from Costco. My regional chain grocery store still gets the whole plates and I'll call them in the next couple days to reserve one. 

I love the thin cuts because they are cheap at Walmart and they finish cooking in like 5 minutes. Preheat my gas grill to just under 500F, sear on both sides and its done. Brainless easy weeknight meal with some potatoes and bagged salad.

Edited by bleujay

15 hours ago, cipsucks said:

The problem with wings is they're overpriced. 

Funny thing, the wings used to be the worst part of the chicken and the lowest priced. Then somebody (Buffalo 😀) came up with a way to make them appealing, and the demand pushed the price up. Same thing happened with brisket. Used to be the trashiest cut of beef. 

Funny thing, the wings used to be the worst part of the chicken and the lowest priced. Then somebody (Buffalo ) came up with a way to make them appealing, and the demand pushed the price up. Same thing happened with brisket. Used to be the trashiest cut of beef. 
Flat iron steaks used to be cheap as well, but they seem to be pricey nowadays if you can find them.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

On 5/21/2023 at 2:36 PM, bleujay said:

There's something about smoking the whole plate that delivers a much more robust bark than the individual ribs. I also feel that the end result is more succulent, but I could be wrong. Similar to you guys, many grocers now seem to just receive pre-cut ribs (either individual ribs or cross-cuts that are commonly used in East Asian cuisine BBQ dishes). I like the braise the individual ribs -- either the classic French approach w/ a celery-carrot-onion mirepoix, tomato paste and red wine, also works very well for barbacoa/birria tacos.

On 5/21/2023 at 2:36 PM, bleujay said:

Lastly, on the plate ribs, we don't have the whole plate, but our short ribs are cut from that. 

I think @bleujay is referring to a 123A Plate "3 Bone" Short Rib that hasn't been cut into individual ribs as opposed to a Primal Bone-In Short Plate @cipsucks

4 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Flat iron steaks used to be cheap as well, but they seem to be pricey nowadays if you can find them.

Reasons why they are pricey: beef in general is more expensive, since the price of flat irons is less than the standard cuts, there's higher demand.  Finally, they are a pain in the ass to cut, which means higher processing costs.  We don't offer a flat iron.  We turn them into slab jerky.  So, if you have a hankering, I've got 6 different flavors I can offer.  🙂

Reasons why they are pricey: beef in general is more expensive, since the price of flat irons is less than the standard cuts, there's higher demand.  Finally, they are a pain in the ass to cut, which means higher processing costs.  We don't offer a flat iron.  We turn them into slab jerky.  So, if you have a hankering, I've got 6 different flavors I can offer.  
But flat irons are so tender.