Favorite Husker Basketball Player Of All Time!

BigTate

I just remember my dad loving Strick so much when he came in as a freshman.  I truly modeled how I thought about defense watching him on the perimeter.  

“See 21?  THAT’s how you sit down on defense.” 

He or Pike are the easy picks, but I’m gonna throw an often forgotten one out:

Ade.  Not sure I’ve seen a harder worker ever put the uni on. 

Edited by Fullbacksympathy

Tough one for me. I really was slightly too young to completely claim that Pike or Strickland were my favorites, along with Chubick or Reed. But those are who I considered my favorites when I was a kid. 

We've just been so bad during my "prime fanhood" ages of late middle school 99/2000, to.... well... now. 

But Jeter, Maric, Petteway... Really like Palmer too. I don't know. Feel like KT has as good of a chance as anyone to be my "favorite." 

24 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Tough one for me. I really was slightly too young to completely claim that Pike or Strickland were my favorites, along with Chubick or Reed. But those are who I considered my favorites when I was a kid. 

We've just been so bad during my "prime fanhood" ages of late middle school 99/2000, to.... well... now. 

But Jeter, Maric, Petteway... Really like Palmer too. I don't know. Feel like KT has as good of a chance as anyone to be my "favorite." 

Being on the younger side as well, I have a natural recency bias.  I had to go by who I realllly liked to watch play.  Jeter and KT come to mind.  Petteway, Palmer, WP3, Benny P, Shields, and DW are nice honorable mentions.

14 hours ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

I just remember my dad loving Strick so much when he came in as a freshman.  I truly modeled how I thought about defense watching him on the perimeter.  

“See 21?  THAT’s how you sit down on defense.” 

He or Pike are the easy picks, but I’m gonna throw an often forgotten one out:

Ade.  Not sure I’ve seen a harder worker ever put the uni on. 

I am ashamed to not have mentioned Ade myself.  He really was the key to making Doc's Mighty Mites team work in '09.  Special player.

Not really sure as it is so tough to name a favorite for any sport.  It's kind of funny, but when thinking about who to choose I usually go back to my younger days.  Pike, Lue and Day come to mind.  Being a big Pittsburgh Pirates fan I go back to Stargell, Parker, Garner and guys from that era.  When you get older I'm not sure if you know too much about a player, the good and bad, of how they play and how they hold themselves in public.  As a kid you just admire them for the way they played without thought to anything else.  They are heros.  I don't have that same feeling now that I'm older with players today which is not really fair.  Anyone else feel this way?

When someone asks me to name my favorite Beatle song, I answer, How?  I can give a Top 25 list, but I can't pick a favorite. However, after some thought, here's my favorite Husker whom I never watched or listened to games while he played for NU.  Saw him many times on TV after he graduated.  Nate Branch.  His last year with the Huskers was 1966, when I was 5 and he joined the Harlem Globetrotters in 67.  Saw him play at least once a year on The Wild World of Sports. The announcers, maybe Chris Schenkel, always said he played for the University of Nebraska.  Talk about being proud....

One other name I'll throw out because he played when I sat in the student section is Greg Downing.  Undersized, over-hearted and at 6'2" could jump through the ceiling and electrify the crowd.