Penn State (24-19) vs. Nebraska (26-20-1) weekend thread

cipsucks

48 minutes ago, brfrad said:

If we hold on, we would be 2 games out of 1st and 1 1/2 games ahead of Illinois to make the Big 10 tournament.   Crazy how bunched up this conference is.

It's 19-4 now, looks good for a win. The B1G baseball standings remind me a bit about how close the B1G basketball standings were between 2nd and 12th.

Thus is the kind of game we needed.  We needed a game where we manufacture runs.  Home runs are nice, but we will hopefully be playing in a ballpark where home runs are scarce.  Need to get 'em on, get'em over and get 'em in.  Textbook job of that tonight.

I also feel terrible for Efry.  He was a true leader.  Didn't get down by the lack of playing time, but always ready when his number was called.

The 5-9 hitters carried this game, scoring 4 times & all 5 RBI. And, in the epitome of small-ball, Ben Columbus successfully assisted the cause with his 3 sac bunts today, while PSU has had 4 sacrifices all season. Great way to produce a victory when the top of the order didn't do all much today. And the pitching and defense were both solid, again. I am more optimistic after today, when the inconsistency lately had been a gut punch to our post-season hopes. Now, it's time to sustain this consistent effort over the final 4 games of the regular season. But, first, I hope the Big Red can find a way to sweep the Nittany Lions by taking the early Sunday ballgame tomorrow. GBR

Don’t look now, but a lot of interesting story lines shaping up in the final week.  Especially if we win tomorrow.

1.  3rd still within reach though Iowa gets Northwestern in Iowa City.  I don’t see them losing 2 the rest of the way.

2.  Rutgers is another story in 4th.  They go to Minnesota who could still have something to ply for.  Jumping Rutgers and avoiding the Maryland/Iowa side of the bracket would be hugeeee!

3. The chance to end PU’s season.  After last year, we should be chomping at the bit for that opportunity.