How does this years roster stack up to last years?

9 hours ago, Crush78 said:

He hedged on that later on when he was talking d matchups w creighton as an example and made it sound like Ulis or Lawrence would be 1 starter. Didn't mention Williams or Tominaga.  So I'd imagine 1 of them would be the 5th starter in his mind. 

Lorenzi(creighton beat writer & cohost) seemed pretty incredulous when Sam said starting 3-4-5 would be Gary-Allick-Mast. I'd agree, I think 2 of those 3 start alongside Tominaga and 1 of Lawrence/Williams & 1 of Ulis/Lloyd

OK, let's take bets:

Sam says last year's starting PF who shoots about 25% from beyond the arc will shift to the wing/2-guard spot alongside Lawrence, that Keisei will drop from the starting lineup, that Ulis will run the point, and that Allick and Mast will man the front court side-by-side.

I say, yeah, Ulis probably runs point, we're not dropping our best shooter from the starting lineup so Keisei starts as one of the 2-guard/wing spots, the better of Williams or Lawrence will start at the other 2-guard/wing spot, Gary *maybe* returns to start as a Hoiberg 4, and Mast anchors the post.

To begin the season, I'm going to go with Ulis, Tominaga, Lawrence, Gary, Mast.

If Fred wants to go with a shooter lineup, he goes Ulis, Tominaga, Lawrence, Williams, Mast

If he wants to go big, he might go Ulis (or Lloyd, once he's up to speed), Tominaga, Williams, Allick, Mast.

But there ain't no way in hell he's starting Ulis, Lawrence, Gary, Allick, Mast.

So, place yer bets.

2 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:
12 hours ago, 49r said:

Par for the course for the World-Herald.

The Journal Star and the World Herald are basically the same thing right now as they're both owned by the same corporation that is slowly killing it.

I read somewhere that the OWH was going to reduce their physical prints down to 3 days a week.

Does that mean the other 4 days are going to be ChatGPT generated articles about the top ten ways to know that Lance Jeter used to play football?

Just now, HuskerFever said:

I read somewhere that the OWH was going to reduce their physical prints down to 3 days a week.

Does that mean the other 4 days are going to be ChatGPT generated articles about the top ten ways to know that Lance Jeter used to play football?

No. There are other Lee Enterprises owned entities that will print less.  That doesn't include the OWH or LJS.

12 hours ago, millerhusker said:

McKewon is clueless. There are a handful of different possible starting lineups and this is definitely not one of them. 

More like oversaturated.  He's the lead on football and women's basketball. He shouldn't have to do a podcast about men's basketball simply because there isn't anyone else on staff to do so; He wasn't super prepped on this.  I had listened to the podcast prior to it being brought up and that was my impression.

I'd treat the whole thing like Highlander 2 and just disregard it.

1 hour ago, HuscurAdam said:

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that not only is this not the starting lineup, but that lineup isn't used more than 10% of the time. My guess would be something like this:

Lloyd (or Ulis)

Lawrence

Keisei  

Gary 

Mast

* Williams plays starter-like minutes at the 2-3-4 spots

I think Williams starts, I am pretty high on him. Think he is a great fit, kind of like the athletic wings who could shoot that Fred had at ISU. Bigger, better shooter, and rebounder than JL. I love JL though and think he will play big minutes.

Think Ulis starts at first but hope Lloyd takes that job at some point maybe even from the start.

19 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

I think Williams starts, I am pretty high on him. Think he is a great fit, kind of like the athletic wings who could shoot that Fred had at ISU. Bigger, better shooter, and rebounder than JL. I love JL though and think he will play big minutes.

Think Ulis starts at first but hope Lloyd takes that job at some point maybe even from the start.

I mostly agree with you. I just think, at least to start the season, Fred will defer to his returners until the new guys show they are better in the actual games. Also, I think Lawrence is a better on-ball defender which is important anytime Keisei is on the floor. In any event, I expect Williams to play at least as much or more than a couple of starters due to his positional versatility. 

9 minutes ago, 49r said:

@The_nebrasketball_podcast would be disappointed to see you say that...

That's a very entertaining podcast and one I listen to but there certainly a difference between a couple of fans who enjoy riffing on the team and a couple of guys who cover basketball as part of a living.

20 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

The Nebraska Shootaround Podcast with Padilla and Bigelow is the Nebraska Basketball podcast to listen to

Padilla is the only Husker writer in the state who has real basketball knowledge and it's been that way for quite some time. It was excruciating listening to Chris Heady attempt to talk hoops on his podcast when he was with the OWH. 

59 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Padilla is the only Husker writer in the state who has real basketball knowledge and it's been that way for quite some time. It was excruciating listening to Chris Heady attempt to talk hoops on his podcast when he was with the OWH. 

i miss reading jimmy watkins stuff, he was pretty solid 

Nice little lunch hour project. You want to compare last year's roster to this one coming up? Well ...

There were some fluctuations.

Game 1 starters vs. Maine:

PG Griesel

2G Bandoumel

3G Wilcher

4F Gary

5C Keita

Keita played 10 minutes; Denim played 24, scored no points, grabbed 1 board, committed 2 TOs.

Game 6 starters vs. Memphis:

PG Griesel

2G Bandoumel

3G Wilcher

4F Gary

5C Walker

The return of Walker. Blaise takes a seat.

Game 14 starters vs. Iowa:

PG Griesel

2G Bandoumel

3G Wilcher

4F Gary

5C Walker

Keisei logged 13 minutes, scored just 2 points. We still won.

Game 18 starters vs. Purdue:

PG Bandoumel

2G Wilcher

3G Dawson

4F Breidenbach

5C Walker

Keisei came off the bench to score 16 in a blowout loss.

Game 19 starters vs. tOSU:

PG Griesel

2G Tominaga

3G Bandoumel

4F Dawson

5C Walker 

CJ falls out of the starting lineup, hits 2 buckets in 20 minutes. Huskers win with only Keisei and Sam in double figures.

Game 21 starters vs. Northwestern:

PG Griesel

2G Tominaga

3G Lawrence

4G Dawson

5C Walker

Are you kidding me? Starting lineup the game after second starter lost for the season? This ain't even funny anymore. Dawson still starting. What choice do we have? Denim stays in the starting lineup until ...

Game 26 starters vs. Wisconsin:

PG Griesel

2G Tominaga

3G Lawrence

4F Breidenbach

5C Walker

Trying to find a way to not have Dawson in the starting lineup. Wilhelm comes in and lays a goose egg in the scoring column. Keita with 2 points in 23 minutes. Did I mention we won anyway?

Game 27 starters vs. Rutgers:

PG Griesel

2G Tominaga

3G Lawrence

4G Wilcher

5C Walker

Winning formula? Finally found the combo? Road win against a top-half team. This is your starting lineup for the rest of the season.

OK, comparing last year to this coming year:

So, you want to judge last year's *record* and assess next year's *prospects* by comparing rosters with the team that barely just broke even? Don't forget to factor in that Denim Dawson, who was essentially a true freshman, started 8 games last year, during which span we lost 6. He played 393 minutes, put up 47 points, turned the ball over 20 times, and committed 38 fouls. He was 35% from the floor and 40% from the line. And, especially after Gary went down, we had really no choice but to play him.

And Wilhelm Breidenbach. Good kid. Great effort. High motor. But ADHD. He had more minutes than Denim but averaged fewer minutes per game.  Scored 116 points against 25 turnovers and 62 personal fouls. Only shot 38.5% from the floor and barely 60% from the stripe. Wilhelm was whistled for more fouls than any other player on the team except Derrick Walker (by 3) despite Walker playing more than twice as many minutes.

Now, you can say, well, those two were bit players. Bottom end of the roster. Comparing apples to apples means you only look at the likely rotation guys. Well, but Wilhelm and Denim combined for more minutes than Keisei and nearly as many as Derrick Walker.

We played 32 games this last season. Four OT games means we had 6500 minutes on the season to spread around, and 12.3% of those minutes, and 10 starts, went to two guys who would not likely see the floor for this next year's team if they had stuck around.

The top end of the lineup might not be quite as good (yet to be seen), but we're not going to be running ANY players out there next year who basically don't belong in a P6 rotation. The bottom and middle of the roster are going to be a lot better.

We're going to field more guys who can score at more positions than any Hoiberg team to date. Just for some perspective, CJ Wilcher started 24 games for us last year. He's going to be lucky to be in the rotation next year. Doesn't that tell you something?

Just some perspective.

Edited by Norm Peterson

12 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

OK, let's take bets:

Sam says last year's starting PF who shoots about 25% from beyond the arc will shift to the wing/2-guard spot alongside Lawrence, that Keisei will drop from the starting lineup, that Ulis will run the point, and that Allick and Mast will man the front court side-by-side.

I say, yeah, Ulis probably runs point, we're not dropping our best shooter from the starting lineup so Keisei starts as one of the 2-guard/wing spots, the better of Williams or Lawrence will start at the other 2-guard/wing spot, Gary *maybe* returns to start as a Hoiberg 4, and Mast anchors the post.

To begin the season, I'm going to go with Ulis, Tominaga, Lawrence, Gary, Mast.

If Fred wants to go with a shooter lineup, he goes Ulis, Tominaga, Lawrence, Williams, Mast

If he wants to go big, he might go Ulis (or Lloyd, once he's up to speed), Tominaga, Williams, Allick, Mast.

But there ain't no way in hell he's starting Ulis, Lawrence, Gary, Allick, Mast.

So, place yer bets.

Sam’s too busy attempting to be the Bill Simmons of Omaha and I think he’s losing his fast ball. 

This year's roster has another thing going for it.  After a 7 year hiatus, the cip salsa garden was planted yesterday. When the Huskers win at least one game in the NCAA tournament this upcoming season, I want some credit.  🙂  Whomever actually remembers this post and is the first to revive it, gets a quart of salsa!  After we win the tourney game(s), of course.

Edited by cipsucks

1 hour ago, cipsucks said:

This year's roster has another thing going for it.  After a 7 year hiatus, the cip salsa garden was planted yesterday. When the Huskers win at least one game in the NCAA tournament this upcoming season, I want some credit.  🙂  Whomever actually remembers this post and is the first to revive it, gets a quart of salsa!  After we win the tourney game(s), of course.

You should get credit no matter what cause that salsa is awesome.  Best I have ever had. 

6 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Brice, Mast, more minutes for Sam, Keisa obviously the X factor, But it sure looks like we have more proven options. Lloyd, Lawrence, CJ, Ulis are all just Gravy… 

Agree we should be a better three point shooting team. But don't think Sam will be getting more minutes, barring injury. He averaged >20 mpg when he entered the rotation the last 1/3 of the season. If Keisei comes back, I'd be surprised if Sam is in the rotation next year. 

2 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Agree we should be a better three point shooting team. But don't think Sam will be getting more minutes, barring injury. He averaged >20 mpg when he entered the rotation the last 1/3 of the season. If Keisei comes back, I'd be surprised if Sam is in the rotation next year. 

I agree. But what Sam provides is this - dude showed he can play at this level. Yeah he has his limitations. But he can play. What that does is it puts every incoming player at his position on notice. Sam looks like a guy that is all hustle all the time. Practice, hustle. Game, hustle. Walking to class, hustle. So if a new guy comes in slacking ass...Well, we got Sam we can put in and send a message. And putting Sam in doesn't give me pause one bit.