How does this years roster stack up to last years?

50 minutes ago, doc1394 said:

We’re totally dependent on Fred’s offense being the only way to get looks

Not worried about this at all. Since Hoiberg got here I've watched our players miss open look after open look. Hoiberg gets dudes open. Do we finally have the players that can knock those open looks down is the question. 

14 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I don't want to put too much on the kid -- especially for someone we've never seen play at this level -- but it's possible Ramel could be that guy.

I think it was the Husker basketball official Twitter account that posted a video of clips of Ramel portraying the other team's best player. He was getting shots off against our best defenders. He's able to drive to the rim, pull-up from mid-range, and shoot the long ball. Three-level scorer. Plus he's long. I think he could be that guy.

I was about to post essentially the same comment, so I can I just pretend I typed this up myself?

20 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I don't want to put too much on the kid -- especially for someone we've never seen play at this level -- but it's possible Ramel could be that guy.

I think it was the Husker basketball official Twitter account that posted a video of clips of Ramel portraying the other team's best player. He was getting shots off against our best defenders. He's able to drive to the rim, pull-up from mid-range, and shoot the long ball. Three-level scorer. Plus he's long. I think he could be that guy.

I certainly hope you’re right 

4 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm good with that.

In all seriousness, Lloyd may very well be the player who sets our team's ceiling this year.  Everyone needs a guy who can go get a bucket in crunch time.  I hope Ramel's that guy.  If he's not, then I don't think we have that guy on our roster.

Yeah...we still have five players not yet on campus.  We have a lot of work and posturing that needs to take place before a rotation becomes reality. 

The best thing going for us will be our trip to Spain and the practices that go with it.  

I hope that Tominaga comes back.  That would be a gigantic hole that will be difficult to overcome.  

I will add this.  Our player development seems to have been much improved this past off-season.  Skills were improved and that should provide hope for this coming season.

What gives me pause is:

(1) Will Keisei be back

(2) Will Blaise be healthy

(3) Will Josiah be healthy 

(4) Will CJ finally get it

(5) Will the team bond

(6) Can we maintain the defensive identity that we had last year

(7) Who will be our team leader(s)

(8) Will we be able to overcome any adversity that may come our way

Edited by Huskerpapa

35 minutes ago, k3s3i said:

watch brice williams

I have watched Brice Williams, but clearly you haven't.  First you compare Williams to Griesel despite their playing styles being very different.  Now you are comparing Brice to the JPJ/Petteway mold of dudes who can will their way to a crunch time bucket? C'mon.  Williams barely dribbles the basketball.  He plays in the Klay Thompson mold.  If you're looking for a comparison with a current Husker it would as a taller and more accurate Wilcher.

51 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I have watched Brice Williams, but clearly you haven't.  First you compare Williams to Griesel despite their playing styles being very different.  Now you are comparing Brice to the JPJ/Petteway mold of dudes who can will their way to a crunch time bucket? C'mon.  Williams barely dribbles the basketball.  He plays in the Klay Thompson mold.  If you're looking for a comparison with a current Husker it would as a taller and more accurate Wilcher.

i wasnt comparing him to jpj and petteway when did i say that? just saying hes ppp in iso situations are good, he doesnt play in the klay mold at all clearly YOU havent watched apart from a 4 minute highlight tape

26 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Here, watch Ramel Lloyd. And tell me what you've seen Brice do that makes you think he's more capable of getting buckets in crunch time than what you see here ...

do you guys think brice is just someone whos gonna shoot catch and shoot threes? hes not that at all, hell be the best 3 level scorer we've had sense jpj

I'd agree that Brice is a 3 level scorer and he does seem like he might end up being the scoring focal point if there is one. 

While he is an exceptional 3pt shooter, he also shoots well from mid-range and gets to the FT line.  A statue doesn't take 115 FT attempts.

The unfortunate comparison to Griesel sort of distracts from this.

We all like Lawrence but when you look at this numbers from last year they're not great though you'd expect them to be better this year.  Ramel had a year to prep so he'll be more prepared but I don't see him being anything beyond a complimentary scorer and hope that he is able to fill the distributor/ball handler role.  

11 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I'd agree that Brice is a 3 level scorer and he does seem like he might end up being the scoring focal point if there is one. 

While he is an exceptional 3pt shooter, he also shoots well from mid-range and gets to the FT line.  A statue doesn't take 115 FT attempts.

The unfortunate comparison to Griesel sort of distracts from this.

We all like Lawrence but when you look at this numbers from last year their not great though you'd expect them to be better this year.  Ramel had a year to prep so he'll be more prepared but I don't see him being anything beyond a complimentary scorer and hope that he able to fill the distributor/ball handler role.  

yes the griesel comparson was a reach, just saw the similarities in frame and the use of scoring out of post ups

5 hours ago, 49r said:

Yeah I keep coming back to this.  We were incredibly lucky in a lot of games last year, notably 4 or 5 of the 6 games listed above.  In my mind we were a lot closer to 12-20 than 17-15 or better.  Look, I get it, we had manageable attrition off a team that last season overachieved their expectations by a considerable margin.  And yeah the parts we plug in this year will on paper be as good or maybe slightly better as what they replaced.  But does the regression to the mean cause us to simultaneously improve our roster AND end up with a worse record.  The answer is, "maybe".  This regression is just as likely in my mind as the '23-'24 team just plowing forward from last season and making a push towards post season play.

I have no idea how the idea we got lucky last year exists. We lost two starters, our best player missed 5 games, our true center missed tons of time, and Sam missed time. Guys who shot the 3 well most of their careers had off years (CJ and Bando). One of our prized recruits redshirted.

Seems to me we got VERY unlucky and we still got to .500.

Also in my dreams Lloyd wins the PG spot and is a poor man’s Jalen Pickett with a little more size. I agree with those who say he could be the difference.

7 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

I have no idea how the idea we got lucky last year exists. We lost two starters, our best player missed 5 games, our true center missed tons of time, and Sam missed time. Guys who shot the 3 well most of their careers had off years (CJ and Bando). One of our prized recruits redshirted.

Also in my dreams Lloyd wins the PG spot and is a poor man’s Jalen Pickett with a little more size. I agree with those who say he could be the difference.

You’re RIGHT, we could’ve easily Won 20 with our full compliment of players for the entire season. This Team appears more “Athletic” & certainly has more shooting, x10 with the return of Tominaga. You’re greatest surprise Wins last year had to be the Road Wins @ Creighton/Rutgers/Iowa. A Good team SHOULD be able to beat teams like Maryland, Wisconsin & yes even Purdue at Home. I’m Ready to roll the Balls 🏀 out tomorrow, Let’s DO This…!!!

22 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

You’re RIGHT, we could’ve easily Won 20 with our full compliment of players for the entire season. This Team appears more “Athletic” & certainly has more shooting, x10 with the return of Tominaga. You’re greatest surprise Wins last year had to be the Road Wins @ Creighton/Rutgers/Iowa. A Good team SHOULD be able to beat teams like Maryland, Wisconsin & yes even Purdue at Home. I’m Ready to roll the Balls 🏀 out tomorrow, Let’s DO This…!!!

Hahaha CHOO CHOO!!! 

I certainly don't want to put the kid down but I do feel like Breidenbach was a big liability on the floor at times. Looking at the roster I don't really see that so I believe that's one thing we have going for us. I also loved Walker thought he was a damn good player but sometimes those turnovers drove me nuts. If those 2 things are improved I gotta think this is a team that can win 18-19games maybe even 20. I would think that puts you in tournament consideration but alot of things have to go right.

14 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Me RN...

image.jpeg

15 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

We simply got lucky vs our expected output that the metrics suggest we should have had.  That is why the most powerful metric(the lines) always had us as smaller favorites or larger underdogs than we would have been based on our win loss results.  We got blasted a lot and rarely blasted anyone.  

We also got lucky in more than one of our games against teams who normally shoot the 3 well (and depend on that a lot) had an off night and shot like in the teens against us, coincidentally when we game planned to give those teams open looks at 3 to prevent giving up a lot of easy lay-ins/putbacks.

Also, we got lucky that a normally well-disciplined team with the ball at the end of the game and a chance to win had their point guard decide all of a sudden to play yolo hero ball and miss a 28 foot fadeaway 3 at the buzzer.

From Brian Christopherson via 247 Sports

Of course you look at what other puzzle pieces are on the table. Can you see the picture they could make?

"That's honestly a really big part of it," Josiah Allick said on Sunday as he discussed his decision to finish his college hoops career at Nebraska.

While a player could just think about where he might go to best stack up individual stats, the real fun comes in contributing to a winning product, no? Yes.

It comes in being part of a team with chemistry where your best work feeds off the other guy's best work, and his off yours.

Whatever a program offers you as far as potential scoring opportunity, "If you don't have players around you who you feel are going to compete or play the right way or be unselfish ... then none of that really matters," said the 6-8 forward Allick. "You might be able to get some numbers but you're not going to see it in a way that matters."

When Allick looked at the pieces Fred Hoiberg and his staff have been putting together this offseason, he could see the picture coaches had for this Husker squad that will try to start building a bond over these summer months.

He names off transfer additions Rienk Mast, Brice Williams and what seems the growing possibility of a Keisei Tominaga return.

"They also got (Ahron) Ulis and have that point guard spot secured. I really felt comfortable with just the type of guys they have coming in," Allick said. "Because none of those guys were just really like high-volume, just jack-it-up guys. And I felt like obviously having three upperclassmen transfers, there's going to be that molding process of coming together and whatnot. But I really feel like those guys and just my play style would fit well."

Allick hadn't yet made a public commitment when James Ulis spoke of his son Ahron's decision to pick the Huskers, but James said they also spent a fair amount of conversation with Nebraska's staff discussing the roster construction.

"It's not like it's about him getting the most shots. He wants to win..." James said of Ahron Ulis, the 6-3 transfer from Iowa. "I just think the roster's a good fit. We've got good shooters around him. There's a guy coming in [Mast] that's 6-9 that can shoot the ball. Ahron's a point guard first. A pass-first point guard. But he also can score, which he has shown."

The Huskers still have two open scholarship spaces after having added four transfers so far in Ulis, Allick, Mast and Williams.

A couple of the new parts weren't known yet when Mast committed, but the transfer from Bradley was looking forward to growing with new teammates.

"I kind of know my own character and I get along with a lot of guys," Mast said then. "If you have that mutual love of the game of basketball, you'll be fine. You'll get along."

Hoiberg's staff found players with winning college pedigrees in last year's portal additions, and you can see a similar formula with this group of newcomers.

– Mast was just part of a Bradley team that won its first Missouri Valley Conference regular-season title since 1996 and finished 25-10.

– Williams was on a roll late in leading Charlotte to the CBI title, with the 6-7 guard winning MVP honors in that tournament.

– Allick, who has started 84 games at the college level, was on a New Mexico team that won 22 games and was in the NIT. Prior to that he was on a Missouri-Kansas City squad that had its highest win total in 30 years.

– Ulis started 27 of 32 teams for an Iowa team that was in the NCAA Tournament.

"And obviously they have upperclassmen, experienced players coming back as well that's going to keep it competitive," Allick said. "Like C.J. Wilcher, Juwan Gary and Blaise Keita. From that side of it, it's not like there's a guaranteed starting spot. I know that I'm going to have to work for it and it's going to be competitive trying to earn those spots. It also just means that there's a lot of options for doing versatile lineups."

Showing up understanding starting spots aren't in anybody's pocket is appealing to someone with Allick's competitive mindset.

"Just knowing that guys are going to have to be getting after it in practice and establishing themselves as productive reliable guys and coming together, I think that's really good just for getting the team prepared in the early season."

26 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

From Brian Christopherson via 247 Sports

Of course you look at what other puzzle pieces are on the table. Can you see the picture they could make?

"That's honestly a really big part of it," Josiah Allick said on Sunday as he discussed his decision to finish his college hoops career at Nebraska.

While a player could just think about where he might go to best stack up individual stats, the real fun comes in contributing to a winning product, no? Yes.

It comes in being part of a team with chemistry where your best work feeds off the other guy's best work, and his off yours.

Whatever a program offers you as far as potential scoring opportunity, "If you don't have players around you who you feel are going to compete or play the right way or be unselfish ... then none of that really matters," said the 6-8 forward Allick. "You might be able to get some numbers but you're not going to see it in a way that matters."

When Allick looked at the pieces Fred Hoiberg and his staff have been putting together this offseason, he could see the picture coaches had for this Husker squad that will try to start building a bond over these summer months.

He names off transfer additions Rienk Mast, Brice Williams and what seems the growing possibility of a Keisei Tominaga return.

"They also got (Ahron) Ulis and have that point guard spot secured. I really felt comfortable with just the type of guys they have coming in," Allick said. "Because none of those guys were just really like high-volume, just jack-it-up guys. And I felt like obviously having three upperclassmen transfers, there's going to be that molding process of coming together and whatnot. But I really feel like those guys and just my play style would fit well."

Allick hadn't yet made a public commitment when James Ulis spoke of his son Ahron's decision to pick the Huskers, but James said they also spent a fair amount of conversation with Nebraska's staff discussing the roster construction.

"It's not like it's about him getting the most shots. He wants to win..." James said of Ahron Ulis, the 6-3 transfer from Iowa. "I just think the roster's a good fit. We've got good shooters around him. There's a guy coming in [Mast] that's 6-9 that can shoot the ball. Ahron's a point guard first. A pass-first point guard. But he also can score, which he has shown."

The Huskers still have two open scholarship spaces after having added four transfers so far in Ulis, Allick, Mast and Williams.

A couple of the new parts weren't known yet when Mast committed, but the transfer from Bradley was looking forward to growing with new teammates.

"I kind of know my own character and I get along with a lot of guys," Mast said then. "If you have that mutual love of the game of basketball, you'll be fine. You'll get along."

Hoiberg's staff found players with winning college pedigrees in last year's portal additions, and you can see a similar formula with this group of newcomers.

– Mast was just part of a Bradley team that won its first Missouri Valley Conference regular-season title since 1996 and finished 25-10.

– Williams was on a roll late in leading Charlotte to the CBI title, with the 6-7 guard winning MVP honors in that tournament.

– Allick, who has started 84 games at the college level, was on a New Mexico team that won 22 games and was in the NIT. Prior to that he was on a Missouri-Kansas City squad that had its highest win total in 30 years.

– Ulis started 27 of 32 teams for an Iowa team that was in the NCAA Tournament.

"And obviously they have upperclassmen, experienced players coming back as well that's going to keep it competitive," Allick said. "Like C.J. Wilcher, Juwan Gary and Blaise Keita. From that side of it, it's not like there's a guaranteed starting spot. I know that I'm going to have to work for it and it's going to be competitive trying to earn those spots. It also just means that there's a lot of options for doing versatile lineups."

Showing up understanding starting spots aren't in anybody's pocket is appealing to someone with Allick's competitive mindset.

"Just knowing that guys are going to have to be getting after it in practice and establishing themselves as productive reliable guys and coming together, I think that's really good just for getting the team prepared in the early season."

Didn't know it was possible, but I am even more geeked about this squad than I was before I read your post 😁