2025 - Mckenzie Mathurin - guard

Last season for the Tigers, Mathurin averaged 20.9 points, 5.4 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.5 steals per game in 27 contests. 

The 5-foot-10 guard had over 30 Division I offers in hand, including Kansas State, Colorado, Purdue, Creighton and Wisconsin, before picking Nebraska.

She was also a first-team All-State selection for the Tulsa World and the Ms. Outside winner in 2022-23, helping Broken Arrow return to the 6A state tournament for the first time since 2016.

Per LJS

The Nebraska women's basketball team and coach Amy Williams picked up a commitment for the 2025 class on Friday with Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, sophomore McKenzie Mathurin choosing the Huskers in a Twitter post.

Last season for the Tigers, Mathurin averaged 20.9 points, 5.4 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.5 steals per game in 27 contests. 

The 5-foot-10 guard had over 30 Division I offers in hand, including Kansas State, Colorado, Purdue, Creighton and Wisconsin, before picking Nebraska.

She was also a first-team all-state selection for the Tulsa World and the Ms. Outside winner in 2022-23, helping Broken Arrow return to the 6A state tournament for the first time since 2016.

• 1 month later...

:ph34r:  Tweet spotted by @Bugeaters1

Nice Article in LJS (does not look like it is behind a paywall)

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/meet-mckenzie-mathurin-the-nebraska-hoops-commit-nu-has-recruited-since-eighth-grade/article_be8631a2-a4f2-5c54-acc6-5e72d3928d58.html

“I’ve been in the recruitment process for four years now,” Mathurin said. “It’s been a long time, and I felt like this was the right time to go ahead and commit before my junior season so I can continue to play and get better for Nebraska.”

For Nebraska, she was recruited by assistant coach Tandem Mays. Mathurin thinks the Nebraska coaches were a little surprised that she committed when she did, but she had told the Nebraska staff they were in her top eight.

With her AAU team, Oklahoma Swift, she’s coached by her mom, Amber, who played college basketball in Oklahoma at Eastern Oklahoma State and Bacone College.

Edited by Red Don

• 7 months later...
26 minutes ago, Fastbreaker said:

Maddie Krull was ranked no. 67 and look how many here bad mouth her as being slow and unathletic

yes, there is some of that.  I think most of the bad mouthing is about her lack of any punch offensively and that certainly is a fact and therefore a fair point.  As for me, I am impressed with her defensive play and trust that the coaching staff knows far far more than i do about the extent to which she contributes. 

Sorry but I really lost the trust in the coaching staff when they couldn't see Leighla Brown should of been playing a LOT more in her freshman and sophomore years. They basically ran her off.  If she was on our  team her junior and senior years we would of won a lot more games IMHO.  I know she rubbed some people on this board wrong and maybe some teammates, but that kid was a very good all around basketball player. 

I for one, really don't care who it is, or starts,  personnel wise, at a guard position......rather evaluate the performance. Not going to bad mouth any player. Just want to see scoring, defense, good ball handling, low turn overs, etc etc.  Have a player at any position and consistently struggles, then look at others on the bench. We have options on the squad.

This is B1G college basketball. We just can't afford low individual scoring, or poor defense, or what ever...and expect to have the team get to the next step. Still believe we have the elements  of a pretty darn good team.  GBR

5 hours ago, Fastbreaker said:

Maddie Krull was ranked no. 67 and look how many here bad mouth her as being slow and unathletic

I'm not sure I agree that stating the obvious is "badmouthing" a player. Every player has strengths and weaknesses, and Krull is a very smart player who is usually in the right place at the right time, but she lacks the athleticism to make dynamic plays or create shots for herself. It's just a fact. Defensively, she is smart, but she tends to get beat by quicker, more athletic players. I feel the same way about Nissley, defensively, but she is a better than average 3 point shooter, so that gives her the advantage IMO. 

10 hours ago, Tom Jones said:

she is a four-star recruit ranked No. 55 in the USA by ESPN and #39 by Prospects Nation so probably not. 

And your point is?  A lot players are ranked high in high school, then are duds in college. But it seems that on this board, that if you aren't a top ten player you are slow, can't play D.

8 hours ago, Tom Jones said:

yes, there is some of that.  I think most of the bad mouthing is about her lack of any punch offensively and that certainly is a fact and therefore a fair point.  As for me, I am impressed with her defensive play and trust that the coaching staff knows far far more than i do about the extent to which she contributes. 

So how did Hallie Sample do so well at Nebraska only aveagreing 6 pts. a game? Hallie was a defensive player, and got along just well. if it had not been for her D. I doubt the Huskers win the B1G championship.There is more to basketball than scoring.  Read up people!!!!!!

Edited by Bugeaters1

8 hours ago, Tom Jones said:

Do you  people know anything about basketball ? So lets look at the mens team, you have Sam H

5 hours ago, longtimefan said:

Sorry but I really lost the trust in the coaching staff when they couldn't see Leighla Brown should of been playing a LOT more in her freshman and sophomore years. They basically ran her off.  If she was on our  team her junior and senior years we would of won a lot more games IMHO.  I know she rubbed some people on this board wrong and maybe some teammates, but that kid was a very good all around basketball player. 

Maybe that was by design.

3 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Do you  people know anything about basketball ?

I think I do  But please let's keep the focus here on what the members say ... rather than on the knowledge or intelligence of those who say it.  There is so much ad hominem in this world already, please let's not let it in the door here. 

Edited by Tom Jones
typo

• 4 weeks later...

Getting back to our regularly scheduled programming:  🙂

• McKenzie Mathurin

:ph34r: You may have to disable your ad-blocker & browser privacy setting to view

https://highschool.si.com/oklahoma/2024/02/10/broken-arrow-girls-2025-guard-mckenzie-mathurin-meeting-her-higher-expectations-entering-this-season

https://cdn.jwplayer.com/previews/YWKCwMHa

Through 18 games this season, Mathurin was averaging 22.3 points and 6.1 rebounds while shooting 44 percent from the field. Throw in her two steals a night and she has been effective on both ends of the floor, which was something she worked on throughout the offseason.

“I just want to be a finisher and I want to get steals, get easy layups, and then just finish around the 3-point line,” Mathurin. “It all starts with my defense. That's where my energy comes from. That's where the whole team's energy comes from.

"Playing hard on D, using each other and then getting good looks.”

About Nebraska Recruiting: :Mfclap: :Mfclap: :Mfclap:

“It was their coaching staff. They've been on me since early Day 1,” Mathurin said. “I think they were my second or third Division I offer. They've just been with me throughout my entire career and never backed off.

"They kept keeping in touch, kept coming to all my summer games, and all my high school games. It just really meant a lot to me.”

Edited by Red Don

On 1/16/2024 at 7:39 PM, Tom Jones said:

I think I do  But please let's keep the focus here on what the members say ... rather than on the knowledge or intelligence of those who say it.  There is so much ad hominem in this world already, please let's not let it in the door here. 

Seems "you guys" don't though.

• 1 month later...