Nebraska (25-18-1) vs. Maryland (32-16) Series Game Thread

• Bugeaters1 changed the title to Nebraska (25-18-1) vs. Maryland (32-16) Series Game Thread

Great win today - Maryland is as hot as anyone. Just shows what can happen when you get some early runs. 

Tomorrow may be a bit wild. Probably take 10+ runs to win again tomorrow. A series win for us the way things have been going of late would be extremely impressive. I imagine we start Walsh, and he's the kind of pitcher that can mess up the hitters' timing really badly at least the first time through the order, so hopefully he's got sharp off-speed stuff for a few innings at least.

I know it doesn't seem like it in a game that'll probably be 15-12, but jumping on top again tomorrow would be a very good sign.

Quick check of the boxscore was all I saw today... and, of course, the Terps had two different innings with 8 runs. And one dude with 8 RBI. Sheesh, Big Red pitching: that's awful. Guess we should be glad NU at least got that 1 win yesterday (12-10), as other than that one small victory, this weekend was all Maryland on Fri/Sun, 28-9.

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

Quick check of the boxscore was all I saw today... and, of course, the Terps had two different innings with 8 runs. And one dude with 8 RBI. Sheesh, Big Red pitching: that's awful. Guess we should be glad NU at least got that 1 win yesterday (12-10), as other than that one small victory, this weekend was all Maryland on Fri/Sun, 28-9.

Maryland is one of the hottest teams.  They swept a good Indiana team in Bloomington outscoring them 43 - 12.

Disappointing finish to the series, but just thankful we won one game. We're scuffling and Maryland is red hot. This is the dominant Maryland team everyone was expecting to see, although they're scoring more and pitching worse than expected I think. 

It's too bad Christo and Sears were not good today, because we're going to need those guys to come up big in the B1G tourney. 

Doubtful we'll turn it around fully over the next two weeks, but hopefully we can gain a little momentum going into the B1G tourney against some weaker opponents than the Terps.

Good news is Illinois finishes at Rutgers, so I'd guess they go 1-2 and finish 12-12. Plus we own the tiebreaker vs them, so 3-3 should be plenty, even if Illinois somehow wins the Rutgers series. Fingers crossed. At least Illinois finishes up this weekend (and has its league 'bye' the final weekend), so we'll know what we need to do going into that Purdue series to finish ahead of Illinois.

It'd be nice to stay out of Maryland's half of the bracket. Think I'd rather be the 6 or 7 seed than the 4 or 5 seed. Unless the wind is howling in at TD all week, Maryland is going to wear out the pitching staffs in its half of the bracket in the tourney, which is a disaster in that format.

Hopefully the Iowa players realize they cannot bet on sports yet in Omaha before they get on the bus for the tourney, so they'll have to make their bets before they leave or they'll need to walk over the pedestrian bridge near the stadium and bet over their phones once they're on Iowa's side of the river. 😑  Seriously, what a potential disaster that could be for the entire sport. Not sure why sports books feel the need to take wagers on regular-season college baseball, but I guess the low wager totals at least make it easy to spot fraud. Kind of scary to think about how easy it'd be to point shave in college football or some basketball games these days, where the total wager pool is much higher and wagering is available in so many different places, making it easier to hide fraud.

I will put a slightly different spin on it.  Maryland is not a "hot" team per se.  They are good team.  Good teams play hard, are consistent and their offense, defense an pitching are complementary.  They win, and when they have an uncommonly bad outing, they come out with fire in their eyes the following game.

Right now, we are a frustrating team.  We never know if our pitching or offense will consistently show up and we make mistakes in pressure situations.  We can look soooo good, and then we lay an egg.  We lack focus and most likely leadership.