Ahron Ulis is N

The more I think about this pickup the more I like it.  May just be the koolaid, but here’s my thoughts:

I wanted an experienced point guard.  He checks that box.  

He has good size for the position…last I saw he was listed at 6’3”.  Sam was freakishly big for a PG so I wasn’t expecting that, but in a perfect world I didn’t want a 5’9” guy either.

He seemed plenty athletic when we played them so no worries there.

The shooting numbers aren’t great, but it sounds like Fred is going to personally work with him.  I will choose to believe that will make a difference.  And he has 2 years to work with the young man.

Seton Hall and NC State were kicking the tires so it’s not like we were scraping the bottom of the barrel here.  I am actually pleased with this one given the other guys we missed on.  Could have done a whole lot worse.

38 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Started 27 games and played in all 32 this past season. My coworker is a diehard Iowa fan and said he wouldn’t blow us away with any one thing, but that he was a very safe and steady point guard that wouldn’t hurt us either. Sounds like a nice solid pickup with big ten experience. 

I also have a coworker that is a diehard Iowa fan and he said the same thing.  He said he hopes he does well at Nebraska and it came across as if he did like him, and he also said Ulis is a good dude.  So I’m hoping we won’t have any chemistry issues and hopefully he’ll be a good leader on the floor.

7 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

For those who don't know Ahron's brother Tyler was a former NBA player after playing his college ball at Kentucky.

Not only that, but his brother was 5'8 ... and played in the NBA. Which is rare.

There was a lot of discussion on Twitter by Kentucky fans hoping that Ahron would come to Kentucky and be coached by his brother who is now an assistant there. Not sure Kentucky offered, but there were a lot of people who were apparently Kentucky fans who seemed to want him.

Does anyone know why Ulis left Iowa?  None of the usual reasons seem to apply.

Closer to home - nope, he's now 7 hours instead of 3.5 hours away from Chicago

Playing time - nope, he was a starter at Iowa

Role on team - probably a nope, since it appears we recruited him to fill the same role he had at Iowa

Increase in competition level - nope, still in same conference

Compete for a championship - I really don't want to type a nope here, but...

Perhaps he realized that 3 years of Fran is already too much, and it was time for a dramatic change in coaching personality.  Other than that (and all the old jokes like "we have better corn in Nebraska"), I really can't make heads or tails of what would cause him to jump across the Missouri River.

Edited by aphilso1

5 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Role on team - probably a nope, since it appears we recruited him to fill the same role he had at Iowa

Perhaps he realized that 3 years of Fran is already too much, and it was time for a dramatic change in coaching personality.  Other than that (and all the old jokes like "we have better corn in Nebraska"), I really can't make heads or tails of what would cause him to jump across the Missouri River.

Assuming he just wants new scenery. Iowa fans don't seem too bummed about it. Good depth piece imo. 

3 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Seems to me playing time is probably No. 1 on most transfer's list of reasons with 'fit' (i.e., getting along with coaches, staff, other players and the university culture) maybe being next most important.

Since he started most of last year, playing time doesn't seem like the most important issue with him, but having been at Iowegia for 3 years, you have to wonder about not fitting in.  As you stated, maybe he is just a loyal young man and Fran or one of the other coaches continued to get on his nerves and he couldn't take it any more.  Who knows.  Hopefully he can be a steady presence on the court for Nebrasketball.

11 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Found what appears to be an impossible statement in this article.  This can't be the first time Fran has had a player transfer out.

"He is the first player in coach Fran McCaffery's 13 seasons to leave the Iowa program."

1 minute ago, aphilso1 said:

Found what appears to be an impossible statement in this article.  This can't be the first time Fran has had a player transfer out.

"He is the first player in coach Fran McCaffery's 13 seasons to leave the Iowa program."

They don't fact check like they used to. He's the first player to transfer to a B1G team in Fran's 13 years.

42 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I considered that question also. And then I looked at his stats and saw that, as this past season went along, his minutes were getting squeezed.

He averaged about 22.5 minutes on the year, but the last five games, he averaged 16 minutes. Looks like he lost his starting job those last 5 games and his role was diminished.

Plus, he was playing for Fran McNuclearBlastery.

It's easy to see why he'd be looking for a new environment. Change of scenery will probably do him some good. Watch him blossom.

54 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

3 minutes of Fran is to much.....

58 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I think Iowa struggled at times with their identity, especially defensively.  At the end of the year, I think their primary point guard was McCafferty.  Not  sure why, but it likely led to Ahron being available to us.

Seems to me like a numbers game for Ulis. Between Tony Perkins and Dasonte Bowen Iowa should be able to cover the point with freshman Brock Harding coming in as well. Last year Ulis was penciled in as the starter. Next season he's likely looking at a reduced role probably heard that in his after-season talks. It's safe to say Ulis underperformed last year.

If there is a jump to be had out of Ulis I'd say probably losing his starting job,sitting in the transfer portal for 40 days, and getting an invite because Nebraska has been striking out for a month is ample motivation for him to find it. Even if there is no jump, he's a good fit for what this team needs positionally.

7 minutes ago, 49r said:

Well the place is a toxic waste dump of a message board, but here's what I could find on Ulis over at an Iowa site:

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/ulis.418116/

Lordy...one dude going off on others because some provided conjecture...dude, that is what all boards are filled with.

9 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

AFF6AF51-EA16-4720-959B-545C04196580.webp

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Well the place is a toxic waste dump of a message board, but here's what I could find on Ulis over at an Iowa site:

Good for the 2 guys on that forum that must have Atleast half a brain to say experienced 6’3 PGs don’t just grow on trees.  Idk anything about the other PGs on Iowa but sounds like they are short, not much for the weight room, and the other options a walk on. 

2 hours ago, 49r said:

Rivals free boards are basically bathroom stall doors.

This is more of what you're looking for https://forum.hawkeyenation.com/threads/ahron-ulis-josh-ogundele-in-portal.95767/