John Cook comments about Maggie Mendelson playing basketball

HUD

During the NU exhibition VB game yesterday against Wichita St. John Cook wore a mike during the second set and talked to the announcers about a variety of things.  One of the questions one announcer asked him was how was Maggie readjusting to VB after playing WBB.  He said she is doing great and that playing basketball has really helped her in volleyball.  He says many of his great players in the past like Jordan Larson played both sports in High School.  He said the transition from BB to VB is easier then vice versa.  He said she came in great condition from all the running in BB so he is having his volleyball players do more running.  By the way the VB game was fun to watch.  He is building a great team.  All five new freshmen play at a high level.  They will be taking a 2 week trip to Brazil and play some top teams there.  This all happens before the fall practice season starts.  WVB portal reopens tomorrow for two weeks. 

Last year on one of the posts on this sight somebody had a picture of Jackson going for a block and her armpits were above the top of the net.  She is very quick and can just hang in the air surveying where she wants to place the ball with her long arms.  I don't think I have ever seen anything like it. Cook was asked if she can reach 11 feet vertically and he said no but not far off.  Her and Maggie will have a real battle for the starting Middle blocker to go along with Allick.

On one blocking jump in the middle, Jackson leaped so high that the top of the net, was about even with her arm pits as has been said else where...but she was that high.

The whole freshmen class of 5 is absolutely outstanding. They looked like 2nd+ year college players. They all left HS early to enroll in Jan.  (like Maggie did)

Maggie has improved over last year...volleyball. It's not new to her now. She's up to speed...not kind of timid.  Harper Murray may be the next super star.

Reminds one of Jordon Larson. 

Good for volleyball in the state. The outdoor match will be unreal. 

Edited by redsteve

18 hours ago, redsteve said:

Maggie has improved over last year...volleyball. It's not new to her now. She's up to speed...not kind of timid.  Harper Murray may be the next super star.

no doubt............she looks much more comfortable out there now. i really hope coach can keep this group together. 

may be a homer, but, i thought Bergen Reilly looked very good, also. Orr? Reilly? jmo, but i don't think Reilly has far to go to pass Orr---as a freshman. we'll see this fall.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

2 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

no doubt............she looks much more comfortable out there now. i really hope coach can keep this group together. 

may be a homer, but, i thought Bergen Reilly looked very good, also. Orr? Reilly? jmo, but i don't think Reilly has far to go to pass Orr---as a freshman. we'll see this fall.

When Coach was talking, as Hud mentioned, Cook said it is easier to go from basketball to volleyball.  Being a part time basketball player, will not be easy. Not sure she will ever reach her full bball potential as a part time player.  But, volleyball is her favorite sport, and she looked very good Saturday.  Happy to have her as a Husker.   

Regarding the volleyball frosh, they were amazing.  Add in the fact Maggie M. is the same age, and what a crop of 17/18 year olds we have.  Cook must pinch himself at times.

Edited by 12dozen

3 hours ago, HUD said:

Now if we could just hear more from our WBB coach.  Over due on either a press conference or segment on sports nightly.  Some thing where questions can be asked.  In my mind it would be nice at least for the fan base.  She has been very appreciative of us.  Just throw us some red meat.

I’m all for more info from the head coach, but honestly, what’s there to report at this time? We picked up one guard in the transfer portal. It doesn’t appear any of our existing players are transferring this spring. I was hoping that we could get Ware from Arizona, but she chose T A&M. I don’t think Amy will pull a rabbit out of her hat and score us a proven 4 or 5 player out of the portal at this late stage of the game. 

Kinda worried what happens next season in the paint when Markowski gets in foul trouble in the games prior to Maggie joining the team in mid to late December. 

Edited by Neb Nets

2 hours ago, Neb Nets said:

Kinda worried what happens next season in the paint when Markowski gets in foul trouble in the games prior to Maggie joining the team in mid to late December.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by our new Australian.  As for news, Amy never did have any kind of wrap up discussion on our exit from the WNIT, progress on Allison W., status on our two no shows and what she sees going forward with this team.

Edited by HUD
sp

32 minutes ago, HUD said:

I think you will be pleasant surprised by our new Australian.  As for news, Amy never did have any kind of wrap up discussion on our exit from the WNIT, progress on Allison W., status on our two no shows and what she sees going forward with this team.

Yep, I totally get it - Amy’s strong suit has never been keeping the fan base informed. And I used to be quite critical of that on this board….but I’ve turned over a new leaf and I’m trying to be more positive, dammit! 😂🤪

1 hour ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

Still gunna go with I wish we just started new with a new coach this next year instead of dragging it out for one more year. Hope she proves me wrong but I dont see it happening. Fingers crossed the Freshman do Senior things like most of our freshman do before they plateau out. 

???  I do not recall hearing that her seat is even warm, let alone hot.  Can you provide any news or stories indicating her Amy's job is on the line?  

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

???  I do not recall hearing that her seat is even warm, let alone hot.  Can you provide any news or stories indicating her Amy's job is on the line?  

I didnt say it was warm or hot. I am saying we should stop dragging it on because her teams will never compete at the top. We have the $$$ to bring in an established coach that will change the program around. The amount of support womens volleyball gets could be the same for womens basketball if we could ever get there. Just my opinion. Add UCLA and USC and its going to get even worse for the Huskers.  

I think we have talked Amy's status here quite a bit. Was Tom asked to leave or did he want a change? Only they know. I too hope we get better play from the veterans and the incoming class plays like a veteran. Karl is correct that it will not get any easier going forward. You either step it up or you get left behind. Here's hoping we are moving on up.

3 hours ago, All About the Corn said:

I think we have talked Amy's status here quite a bit. Was Tom asked to leave or did he want a change? Only they know. I too hope we get better play from the veterans and the incoming class plays like a veteran. Karl is correct that it will not get any easier going forward. You either step it up or you get left behind. Here's hoping we are moving on up.

the only thing i saw or read (because i can't remember if it was in a podcast or an article), but, i remember a statement by SM stating this will be a big off season for coach williams. guess one can take that in any direction you choose. 

things just might change with two words: Britt Prince

Edited by whoopdeedoo