Ahron Ulis

Not excited about this pickup...seems like a downgrade from Sammy G. He seems like a solid player, but isn't a great 3 point shooter and doesn't offset that by being great in another area. "Meh" is all that comes to mind. In a perfect world Ramel would rise to the challenge and beat him out for the PG job. Ulis *would* be a nice backup PG. 

17 minutes ago, HuscurAdam said:

Not excited about this pickup...seems like a downgrade from Sammy G. He seems like a solid player, but isn't a great 3 point shooter and doesn't offset that by being great in another area. "Meh" is all that comes to mind. In a perfect world Ramel would rise to the challenge and beat him out for the PG job. Ulis *would* be a nice backup PG. 

That is my hope as well, love a big PG. If Ramel is legit and can be our PG of the future I really like this roster. Probably a dream  but maybe we are due.

28 minutes ago, MichHusker said:

Ahron Uhlis vs Same Griesel

Screenshot_20230501-161133_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230501-161119_Chrome.jpg

The biggest benefit of having Sam doesn't show up in shooting stats. His positional size was a matchup problem that led to a lot of open shots for other guys. Not to mention he was an excellent rebounder. I'm not saying Ulis is trash, rather he just doesn't do anything that jumps off the page. He's solid, but not a difference maker. 

8 minutes ago, HuscurAdam said:

The biggest benefit of having Sam doesn't show up in shooting stats. His positional size was a matchup problem that led to a lot of open shots for other guys. Not to mention he was an excellent rebounder. I'm not saying Ulis is trash, rather he just doesn't do anything that jumps off the page. He's solid, but not a difference maker. 

This.  I think he can be a very good role player.  To me, much still has to fall in place.  One is team chemistry.   Can everyone accept their roles and focus on team goals.  Secondly, can Lloyd be our breakout star. 

Ahron can end up being better here than he was at Iowa.  I think Iowa struggled at times with their identity, especially defensively.  At the end of the year, I think their primary point guard was McCafferty.  Not sure why, but it likely led to Ahron being available to us.

Edited by Huskerpapa

3 hours ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

I love this get.  Kid is elite in transition and can really play defense.  Easily a good enough ball handler to run point and already has a lot of B1G experience at a program traditionally better than ours.   

FWIW, Synergy has him graded as average in transition this past season at 1 PPP (47th percentile). Solid at getting to the rim (15-25 2FG) but shot 5-17 from 3 to drag down his efficiency. 

7 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

FWIW, Synergy has him graded as average in transition this past season at 1 PPP (47th percentile). Solid at getting to the rim (15-25 2FG) but shot 5-17 from 3 to drag down his efficiency. 

Sorry.  I was talking more in terms of his speed/athleticism.  I don’t think he’s an elite offensive talent.  

Here is information on the idea that Ulis played well last season but would sometimes "disappear":

• only four times last season was Ulis held scoreless--two of those were against the Huskers; 
  • using <4 points as a standard for "disappearing," that happened eight times--again, 25% of those eight times were against the Huskers;
  • he scored in double digits 5 times (against Ohio St. twice, Rutgers, Michigan St. and TCU);
  • he had 0 or only 1 turnover in 26 games, he had 2 turnovers in 2 games, but he had 4 turnovers in 2 games (Ohio St. and Rutgers) and 6 turnovers in 2 games (Michigan St. and Iowa St.); 
  • he shot 69 three-pointers and was below 33.3% in only one game (1 for 5 against Wisconsin);
  • his worst games from the floor were Auburn (1-5), Purdue (1-6), Rutgers (2-8), Penn St. (1-6), Nebraska (0-4), EIU (2-10) and Georgia Tech (0-4); and
  • he played >20 minutes in all but 7 games, until his 1-5 from three performance against Wisconsin on February 22--after that his minutes went to 15, 19, 13, 17 and 16.

15 minutes ago, Swan88 said:
  • only four times last season was Ulis held scoreless--two of those were against the Huskers; 
  • using <4 points as a standard for "disappearing," that happened eight times--again, 25% of those eight times were against the Huskers;

You know what they say.  "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em"!

The more tape I watch of this guy the more pleased I am by this pickup.  Besides his big 10 experience and abundant playing time he seems like a true point guard who is going to distribute well, not turn the ball over, play aggressive defense and hit the open shot if it’s there.  No trying to drop 30 a night like verge and will lead to good ball rotation.  Just a hunch but I think this is a better “true” point guard that everyone on here wanted 

Talked to a Hawkeyes beat writer who is always been fairly even-handed. He doesn’t think much of him as a player. He said his family and close confidants seemed to get into his head that he should be used differently than how Iowa did. It’ll be interesting to see if he does have more to his game. 

On 5/3/2023 at 9:20 AM, Swan88 said:

Here is information on the idea that Ulis played well last season but would sometimes "disappear":

• he scored in double digits 5 times (against Ohio St. twice, Rutgers, Michigan St. and TCU);
  • he had 0 or only 1 turnover in 26 games, he had 2 turnovers in 2 games, but he had 4 turnovers in 2 games (Ohio St. and Rutgers) and 6 turnovers in 2 games (Michigan St. and Iowa St.); 
  • he shot 69 three-pointers and was below 33.3% in only one game (1 for 5 against Wisconsin);
  • his worst games from the floor were Auburn (1-5), Purdue (1-6), Rutgers (2-8), Penn St. (1-6), Nebraska (0-4), EIU (2-10) and Georgia Tech (0-4); and
  • he played >20 minutes in all but 7 games, until his 1-5 from three performance against Wisconsin on February 22--after that his minutes went to 15, 19, 13, 17 and 16.

He was below 33.3 on threes in only one game?  He did it many many times.  You must not be counting all of the games he missed them all.  

On 5/1/2023 at 4:04 PM, HuscurAdam said:

not really fair to compare him to sam, won’t really have the same role at all

16 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Do tell?  What is the coaching staff plan for him?  Interesting to get an insiders point of view.

when did i claim to be an insider? 

and with the other offseason additions, and what were projected to return you think ulis is going to have as big of an offensive role as griesel? lol

12 hours ago, GATA said:

Talked to a Hawkeyes beat writer who is always been fairly even-handed. He doesn’t think much of him as a player. He said his family and close confidants seemed to get into his head that he should be used differently than how Iowa did. It’ll be interesting to see if he does have more to his game. 

This seems about right. With us having 2 scholarships if another high end ball handler was available I'd suspect we'd reach out.

On the other hand, I'm sure the Hawkeyes would have been just-fine with him staying in Iowa City--even stipulating that he isn't a one-and-done prospect.

Playing in 85 games for them over three years and, over those years:

• starting 22 games;
  • averaging 15.6 minutes per game; and 
  • producing a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio as a point guard.

That's serviceable for what Nebrasketball needs. 

As with all transfers, only time will tell where the new scenery will lead for him.

Each of the transfers considered before him had some baggage: (i) erratic and emotive play for one, and (ii) small size for another.  Perhaps the third one is the charm?

Edited by Swan88