Quaran McPherson

Dean Smith

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

What you mistakenly thought was outstanding bench demeanor was actually him getting in other guys' ears telling them it was Sam Griesel's fault they weren't getting theirs.

This has been in the cards for a loooong time. The guy was a cancer in the locker room and the cancer has now been excised.

Had he not been injured, he would NOT have seen the floor this year to any significant degree.

Guess he had me (us) fooled. Timing seems weird. Seems as if it should’ve been with the Oleg/denim departures. I guess you’ve been alluding to this for months with your posts dismissing him; I kinda just figured he ran over your dog or something. 

On 4/19/2023 at 8:33 AM, Norm Peterson said:

What you mistakenly thought was outstanding bench demeanor was actually him getting in other guys' ears telling them it was Sam Griesel's fault they weren't getting theirs.

This has been in the cards for a loooong time. The guy was a cancer in the locker room and the cancer has now been excised.

Had he not been injured, he would NOT have seen the floor this year to any significant degree.

Not even remotely accurate...

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

Trust Norm here. I thought the same as most on here about Quaran and his good body language on the sideline but a couple months ago was told by someone who knows more than me that he'd be leaving. 

I was wondering why Norm always seemed down on Quaran.  It didn’t make sense to at the time.  Now it makes TOTAL sense.  I just wonder why they allowed him to hang around so long?

52 minutes ago, busticket said:

I was wondering why Norm always seemed down on Quaran.  It didn’t make sense to at the time.  Now it makes TOTAL sense.  I just wonder why they allowed him to hang around so long?

Allowed?  That's technically not how transferring works.

When we give out a scholarship to someone, it's for four years. 

If we flat out tell a guy he should transfer out and he doesn't want to, then he doesn't have to.

Seems to me like it'd be very possible to be a guy who is very engaged in game could also be very engaged with guys on the team he's close with. 

At the end of the day we're talking about 1 of the bottom 3 guys from our depth chart transferring and for a coaching staff trying to keep employed it doesn't seem more complex than that. In terms of on the court contributions, he's much more likely to be the next Karrington Davis than Bakari Eveyln. 

I remember watching Denim specifically during one of Keisei’s hot runs - when he went for like 8 points straight. The bench was loving it but not Denim. Then it dawned on me, Denim isn’t seeing the floor (at the time) due to #30 and I thought, at least clap or something. Kind of felt the writing was on the wall after that moment, his body language wasn’t the greatest down the stretch. Never did pay much attention to Q during the season…

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

If we flat out tell a guy he should transfer out and he doesn't want to, then he doesn't have to.

I guess you do have a point there….

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Yeah, the players do all have evauations completed at years end.   They likely have them throughout the year as well.  They are typically quite specific and sometimes not what a player wants to hear.  It topically includes foreseeable role and items that need to be refined or overhauled.   The problem these days is that each player also has their own evaluators and hanger-ons that may be telling him something completely different.  Some players are much more coachable then others.

In short, some players don't like or want the role being planned for them, some players don't feel they need to improve in the areas identified, so some players leave on their own.  Sometimes it is at the prodding of their coaches or their hangers-on...butI do believe that there are certain players who are asked to move on.  

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

I still wonder if it's McPherson instead of Sam Hoiberg who gets run after Bando went down had QM been healthy.

Otherwise, this thread should see action until about 2028 or so since QM has 4 years of eligibility left.

When he plays his first minute of college basketball, he'll be a couple months away from turning 22.

3 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

When he plays his first minute of college basketball, he'll be a couple months away from turning 22.

That's so wild. 
When I think about myself as an 18 year old freshman, compared to myself as a 22 year old... It's just a different human being. To imagine he hasn't stepped foot on a court yet is just wild. 

2 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Not a ton of downside to having guys that old. Derrick just finished up at the age of 25.