Darian White is N

Huskerpapa

I think our guard play next year could depend a lot on how well Weidner comes back. I hope all goes well and she is close to 100% when practice starts. Krull is also an option at the point. Searched youtube and found a highlight reel of White. A pesky defender and has a nice little pull up jumper. Could be a good player coming off the bench if Weidner does indeed start. 

The last couple of years about our only guards that could consistently take the ball to the hoop and score or get fouled were Sam and Allison.  With their injuries we had to depend too much on the threes.  Although it wasn't the big ten Darian White shot a lot of free throws, about 6 per game ave. during her career. She hit 76% of them.  She also had a lot of steals as well.  She was a four year starter and played an average of 31 minutes per game.  She is very durable with a great motor.  I see her ultimately as our starting point guard.  This would really help Jaz's shooting and give Allison time to work her way back into the line up.  Darian also had a great assist to turnover ratio and averaged less than 2 fouls per game.

4 hours ago, Tom Jones said:

I understand underwhelming.  Hard to see her as the propulsion that will rocket us to the top.  But look at it this way .... last season the Huskers began with three ball handlers - Haiby, Shelley, and Wiedner.  it was going well, but hit a bump when Widener was lost and then another when Haiby went down.  Against Kansas it was a weakness exposed.  For next season we start with Shelley and a somewhat uncertain Wiedner. Could Hake for Haiby be an even or better than even trade?  Probably not, at least not in 23-24.  And, as the season goes on, if we lose any guards, the addition of White is going to look really good.  And what is the down side?  So far as I can see, absolutely none.  She fills an otherwise empty chair and, having only one year to play, does not limit the ability to add recruits next year.  Overall, I give this transfer two thumbs up. 

I’ve argued elsewhere that our #1 need is a true point guard - a spark plug distributor and defender who shoots and drives well enough to keep defenses honest but whose primary responsibility is to get the ball to Jaz, AM, Weidner, etc. in the right spots.  This recruit therefore looks promising, but she’s one thumb up to me for now.  
She seems to be a very good defender and disrupter, which we lack.  Surprisingly good rebounding numbers for her height.  Apparently finds ways to score enough to keep defenses honest, and delivers in the clutch.  

Otoh, shooting percentages not impressive, nor is 3.7 apg for a primary distributor.  Court vision and handle tbd.  So the real unknown is whether she brings new and needed true point guard skills to the team, in which case she’s three thumbs up (I’ll borrow one😎), or whether she’s primarily just a shorter version of what we already have (thumb amputation).

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

it's great darian white chose the huskers............however, i still think a proven perimeter shooter was essential. just my opinion. 

They need both, IMO, and an enforcer post, too. 

White will help, tho. If she can get to the rim with consistency, draw fouls, make FTs, that's a big boost. Plus, she can defend and she'll bring a note of toughness. 

53 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

They need both, IMO, and an enforcer post, too. 

White will help, tho. If she can get to the rim with consistency, draw fouls, make FTs, that's a big boost. Plus, she can defend and she'll bring a note of toughness. 

If we need all that, why do you think we’ve been so inactive in the portal?  

1 hour ago, HB said:

If we need all that, why do you think we’ve been so inactive in the portal?  

My guess is Amy and her staff were actively pursuing several other players in the transfer portal this spring….but at the end of the day, for whatever reasons, those players chose to go elsewhere. It happens. 

Like others have said, we just gotta get better to become a more attractive program to talented recruits, both in high school and in the transfer portal. 

If we could get Nissley to about 40 and maybe Jaz close to that at the 3 point line it will open up the middle for AM. Plus having AW and now DW being able to drive to the basket and we could be a tough team to guard if we can get a little bit of luck for the season. We will also need some of that luck on the other end of the court. AM will need to play smart and not pickup silly fouls. Plus will need for Stewart to pickup her play with better defense and rebounding. With what looks like a loaded VB team we might not see MM til after Christmas. 

On 4/19/2023 at 3:47 PM, HUD said:

The last couple of years about our only guards that could consistently take the ball to the hoop and score or get fouled were Sam and Allison.  With their injuries we had to depend too much on the threes.  Although it wasn't the big ten Darian White shot a lot of free throws, about 6 per game ave. during her career. She hit 76% of them.  She also had a lot of steals as well.  She was a four year starter and played an average of 31 minutes per game.  She is very durable with a great motor.  I see her ultimately as our starting point guard.  This would really help Jaz's shooting and give Allison time to work her way back into the line up.  Darian also had a great assist to turnover ratio and averaged less than 2 fouls per game.

Hers's a nice little video of Grad Transfer Darian White (5:04)

19 hours ago, swmckewon said:

Edited by Red Don

• 3 months later...

White showed quickness in Greece. She also outrebounded everyone, besides the bigs, and her ball handling seems to be pretty good. All of this being said, she's known for her defense, and there just wasn't much of a need for her to play hard defense in Greece. I'm anxious to see what she can do against good players. 

I went back and looked at her previous four years at Montana State especially against some of the better teams she played against and she did well both offensively and defensively.  Her biggest asset is her durability being a four year starter, playing a lot of minutes and not having nagging injuries which bugged Sam Haiby her last two years.

• 1 month later...