Darian White is N

Huskerpapa

:Welcome:

Montana State WBB transfer Darian White (5-6 SR point guard, Boise, ID) has announced her commitment to Nebraska; 2022-23 stats: 14.3 PPG, 5.6 RPG, 3.6 APG; 3x first-team All–Big Sky.

2019 Idaho HS Player of the Year. One year of eligibility remaining!
(New Asst Coach Julian Assibey coached Darian White during her first year @ MT St. :Mfclap::Mfclap::Mfclap: )

(from the article linked by @Huskerpapa)

Nebraska coach Amy Williams said White is a "perfect fit" for the Huskers.
"She brings a lot of experience in the guard position," Williams said in a news release. "Not only was she named first-team all-conference on multiple occasions, but she was twice named the defensive player of the year in the Big Sky. We love that she is motivated on both sides of the ball and capable of making everyone around her better."

I wonder if the staff is pursuing Kola Bad Bear, a 6-2 forward who is also transferring from Montana State. She would have been coached by Assibey her freshman year and is close with Darian White. I think White will be a contributor. We will see how her play translates at a higher level. 

Edited by MontanaHusker

Here is Darian's stat line from last season

Overall Individual Statistics
# Player GP GS Minutes FG 3PT FT Scoring Rebounds PF AST TO STL BLK
TOT AVG FGM FGA FG% 3PT 3PTA 3PT% FTM FTA FT% PTS AVG OFF DEF TOT AVG
0 White, Darian 31 31 946 30.5 151 362 0.42 9 37 0.24 131 173 0.76 442 14.3 41 133 174 5.6 43 111 59 35 1

42 minutes ago, Redhac said:

Here is Darian's stat line from last season

Overall Individual Statistics
# Player GP GS Minutes FG 3PT FT Scoring Rebounds PF AST TO STL BLK
TOT AVG FGM FGA FG% 3PT 3PTA 3PT% FTM FTA FT% PTS AVG OFF DEF TOT AVG
0 White, Darian 31 31 946 30.5 151 362 0.42 9 37 0.24 131 173 0.76 442 14.3 41 133 174 5.6 43 111 59 35 1

Looks like one player on our team won't be hoisting a ton of 3's...

11 minutes ago, Redhac said:

Bad Bear would be would be good if she or the staff are interested. She’s a good defender and rebounder. Not much of a 3 point shooter but she has a good inside game. 

10 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

-

Do you ever say anything positive about the team?

Sorry, it was an attempt at a flippant joke about the team’s (at times) over reliance on 3 pt shots. 
But you’re right - I have been overly negative on here the last few months. I need to be more aware of that and do better. Peace ☮️

I can understand taking a point guard. When you are not sure how much you will have Weidner. She could be completely ready to go or could end up like Orr on the VB team. Only now does it appear she maybe finally getting back to her HS level after her ACL. We do need a constant outside shot, plus a proven 4-5. If they are done with the portal then we better hope we have players that step up be it upper class or incoming freshman.

57 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

I can understand taking a point guard. When you are not sure how much you will have Weidner. She could be completely ready to go or could end up like Orr on the VB team. Only now does it appear she maybe finally getting back to her HS level after her ACL. We do need a constant outside shot, plus a proven 4-5. If they are done with the portal then we better hope we have players that step up be it upper class or incoming freshman.

By my count, if Brady and Dillard are truly gone, we still have a couple open scholarships.  I sure hope we bring in two more players.  Looking ahead, Shelley, Stewart(?), and White will be playing their final year.  At a minimum, there will be 3 available spots for the next class.  Plus, will Amy's daughter be a walk-on? To me, these numbers would make sense.         

11 minutes ago, 12dozen said:

By my count, if Brady and Dillard are truly gone, we still have a couple open scholarships.  I sure hope we bring in two more players.  Looking ahead, Shelley, Stewart(?), and White will be playing their final year.  At a minimum, there will be 3 available spots for the next class.  Plus, will Amy's daughter be a walk-on? To me, these numbers would make sense.         

Did I read somewhere that Kennedi Williams would be attending UNL on a softball scholarship, not a WBB scholarship? Not sure, though. 

35 minutes ago, Neb Nets said:

Did I read somewhere that Kennedi Williams would be attending UNL on a softball scholarship, not a WBB scholarship? Not sure, though. 

Hmm, not entirely sure; however, I do believe Kennedi and other kids who have parents that are employees of the university system (Sam Hoiberg for example)can attend UNL free or highly discounted.  Not sure how it works or if it does work in this instance.  Just saying it seems possible:

Dependent Scholarship Program

Pursuant to Section 3.7 of the Bylaws of the Board of Regents of the University of Nebraska, all University of Nebraska employees who meet the Employee Scholarship Program employment eligibility conditions may elect to transfer all or part of their employee scholarship benefit to their spouse or to their dependent children. The following provisions shall apply to the Dependent Scholarship Program:

• All regular full-time (1.00 F.T.E.) employees of the University who meet the employment eligibility requirements of the Employee Scholarship Program may transfer up to a total of fifteen (15) credit hours per year (August through July) to their spouse or to any dependent child at tuition equal to the University's resident tuition charge per semester credit hour at the campus of attendance.
  • The Dependent Scholarship Program is only available to an employee's spouse or any dependent child who is an admitted student of a University of Nebraska campus and who has met all normal academic requirements for the course(s) taken. Full-time student enrollment status is required for a dependent child to be eligible, but not for a spouse. An affidavit will be required to document the status of dependent children. The University reserves the right to request copies of tax returns and or other supporting documentation

I understand underwhelming.  Hard to see her as the propulsion that will rocket us to the top.  But look at it this way .... last season the Huskers began with three ball handlers - Haiby, Shelley, and Wiedner.  it was going well, but hit a bump when Widener was lost and then another when Haiby went down.  Against Kansas it was a weakness exposed.  For next season we start with Shelley and a somewhat uncertain Wiedner. Could Hake for Haiby be an even or better than even trade?  Probably not, at least not in 23-24.  And, as the season goes on, if we lose any guards, the addition of White is going to look really good.  And what is the down side?  So far as I can see, absolutely none.  She fills an otherwise empty chair and, having only one year to play, does not limit the ability to add recruits next year.  Overall, I give this transfer two thumbs up. 

8 minutes ago, Tom Jones said:

I understand underwhelming.  Hard to see her as the propulsion that will rocket us to the top.  But look at it this way .... last season the Huskers began with three ball handlers - Haiby, Shelley, and Wiedner.  it was going well, but hit a bump when Widener was lost and then another when Haiby went down.  Against Kansas it was a weakness exposed.  For next season we start with Shelley and a somewhat uncertain Wiedner. Could Hake for Haiby be an even or better than even trade?  Probably not, at least not in 23-24.  And, as the season goes on, if we lose any guards, the addition of White is going to look really good.  And what is the down side?  So far as I can see, absolutely none.  She fills an otherwise empty chair and, having only one year to play, does not limit the ability to add recruits next year.  Overall, I give this transfer two thumbs up. 

It certainly beats an unused scholly.  And, I think she'll help.  The kid plays "D".  I agree with what you say.  Hard to find a downside to this addition (IMO).