Is assistant coach Tom G. moving on or retiring?

Neb Nets

Just the kind of thing hoped would happen. Been predicting it would go this way. Yes, Alberts at work more than likely.  Seemed like he wasn't tackling women's basketball, until many of the other sports were "realigned".

Coach Goehle has always seemed like a great guy. Wish him well.  His heart was obviously in the right place. His number probably just came up, and it was time to move on for both parties.

May or may not be the end of Alberts "influence"on the women's team. Wouldn't be surprised he expects better production next season....and then we'll see. We may see some other things we have been talking about.  

Edited by redsteve

2 hours ago, redsteve said:

Just the kind of thing hoped would happen. Been predicting it would go this way. Yes, Alberts at work more than likely.  Seemed like he wasn't tackling women's basketball, until many of the other sports were "realigned".

Coach Goehle has always seemed like a great guy. Wish him well.  His heart was obviously in the right place. His number probably just came up, and it was time to move on for both parties.

May or may not be the end of Alberts "influence"on the women's team. Wouldn't be surprised he expects better production next season....and then we'll see. We may see some other things we have been talking about.  

Do you have proof that Alberts told Amy to upgrade the coaches? if not one shouldn't be making these statements. For all we know coach is tried of coaching and wants to do something else.

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

Put in a call to Coach Prince at Elkhorn North?

I like where your head is at, but Britt still has one more year of high school left. I don’t know if Ann would be willing to miss that in order to come to NU. But for the following season after that? Absolutely! 
Then again, if Ann Prince came to NU this fall, I’d say that would definitely give us an inside track in the recruiting of Britt Prince! 😃

Just remember.  In January the NCAA approved hiring 2 more assistants to both MBB & WBB coaching staffs.  Those positions cannot recruit.  Plenty of opportunity going forward to revise your staff.  I'm sure by this time Amy knows what is needed and is putting a plan together with the idea to be more competitive.

2 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Do you have proof that Alberts told Amy to upgrade the coaches? if not one shouldn't be making these statements. For all we know coach is tried of coaching and wants to do something else.

Did he tell me directly, of course, no, but by the same token, he has already done that in football, basketball and several other mens and womens sports since he came here. Getting assistant coaches, and head coaches replaced.

And to turn your statement around, what proof do you have...that he didn't ? Again, it can't be ignored, we know he has already done it in many sports at NU in the short time he's been here.   And you say Goehle may be tired of coaching, ...how do you know?

If you'all really might think Athletic Director Alberts is doing nothing with the women's basketball structure.....sorry, but just don't buy that thought process. You have to ignore the obvious.

That's just the way I see it.  Don't want or expect everyone to agree.  So it is what it is.   

I don't really want to get in the middle of a pissing contest but what difference does it make if Alberts had anything to do with it or not.  For whatever reason a player or coach leaves you need to replace them with a better one.  Take a step up the ladder with the replacement.  Amy now has that chance.  Anxious to see how it comes out.

Thanks for spying this excellent article on Coach Tom Goehle's extensive experience and contributions to the Women's Basketball Team, @Bugeaters1 :Mfclap:

An experienced coach at all levels, Goehle has spent 30 seasons in coaching, beginning with 15 at the high school level. He then worked at Coastal Carolina, North Dakota State and Sioux Falls before joining Williams at South Dakota. He worked specifically with the development of post players at each school. In addition, Goehle’s duties included recruiting, scouting, coordination of summer camps and game management.

Thank you Coach Goehle for all your time and efforts working with Women's Basketball during your seven years @ Nebraska. :Salute::Bow:

Tom Goehle's leaving was covered for like one day on the on line sports sites for both the Lincoln Journal Star and the Omaha World Herald.  However neither paper had any coverage in their e-editions or hard paper copies about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   More evidence of lack of women's sports coverage by either paper while we are being force fed Kool Aid articles on men's sports every day in multiple articles!!!!!!  Why not have better women's sports coverage as well!!!!!!!!!!!

7 hours ago, Redhac said:

Tom Goehle's leaving was covered for like one day on the on line sports sites for both the Lincoln Journal Star and the Omaha World Herald.  However neither paper had any coverage in their e-editions or hard paper copies about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   More evidence of lack of women's sports coverage by either paper while we are being force fed Kool Aid articles on men's sports every day in multiple articles!!!!!!  Why not have better women's sports coverage as well!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm, it was in my e-edition of the LJS.  That is sort of wierd.

I'm seeing a number of tweets and re-tweets as well.

Regardless, there is a bit of strangeness in the timing of his departure.  Yes, there is quite a bit of activity right now with Men's basketball recruiting, the finalization of the Women's Australian recruit, softball, baseball, Women's bowling championship, Men's golf setting a record, track and field events, new Big Ten Commissioner along with high school events popping everywhere; but perhaps one of the writers could have broke loose to simply ask, why now and what is next.  🤔

https://cornhuskerswire.usatoday.com/2023/04/15/nebraska-womens-basketball-assisant-retires-to-pursue-mission-work/

Edited by Huskerpapa

54 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Hmm, it was in my e-edition of the LJS.  That is sort of wierd.

I'm seeing a number of tweets and re-tweets as well.

Regardless, there is a bit of strangeness in the timing of his departure.  Yes, there is quite a bit of activity right now with Men's basketball recruiting, the finalization of the Women's Australian recruit, softball, baseball, Women's bowling championship, Men's golf setting a record, track and field events, new Big Ten Commissioner along with high school events popping everywhere; but perhaps one of the writers could have broke loose to simply ask, why now and what is next.  🤔

Who would they ask who might have any kind of an answer?   Amy is notoriously controlling about the degree and timing of any program information.  Soundbite tweets with platitudes, but nothing revealing or insightful.  I suppose that is her right, and she’s certainly is not the  first or only Coach to treat the media, and indirectly the fans, that way.  I suppose Goehle was, as were certain injured players, “day to day”.  

2 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

I wish Coach Goehle well.  He certainly was a loyal assistant.

I am frustrated about lack of information about the transfer portal.  It would be nice to know if we are even looking at possible transfers or if we prefer to stand pat.

It would also be appreciated if there were some mention of Brady or Dillard.  I still wonder why they didn't, at least, sit on the bench and support the team, during home games. 

As it turns out, both papers had very small articles on page 2  Friday 4-14 on Goehle leaving but they were very small.  I thought this would  have deserved more ink than it got.  Likely we need a person that has either played the 4 or 5 position and has coached it as well.  Why not Andy Markowski?

Clearly this was a smooth transition and coach Goehle deciding to pursue ministry full time.  We have a great coach and staff that represent NU very well.  We had an excellent team last year pre injuries to Sam and the acl to weidner.  We still were decent even after losing them.   We had hardest schedule in history of NU womens bball. Played 9 games against teams that were a 3 seed or better I believe -Indiana Ohio state iowa Maryland and Virginia tech.  That’s essentially 9 games against top 12 teams. Plus Drake Creighton Mississippi state and ku were all good too.  Plus whole big 10 league was good for the most part.  Nobody on this board wants to win more than the players and coaches.   They would be first to say they want to and expect to do better. But some of the comments on this board at times are not well founded and speculation that we would go into recruiting season a coach short was nonsense. They have known about this transition and the new coach for several weeks I am sure.  We have a fun product.  Enjoy it 

Edited by kansashusker