Brice Williams is N

22 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Multiple players have to not do their job on a possession for the offense to get a bucket without really working for it. 

It's actually the exact opposite, and what I don't like about our defense. It just takes one guy to go 95% on his run-off (we don't close-out, we run guys off the line), and we give up a wide open 3. Just one guy to be a .25 second hesitation late on his rotation and we give up a wide open 3. 

23 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

It's actually the exact opposite, and what I don't like about our defense. It just takes one guy to go 95% on his run-off (we don't close-out, we run guys off the line), and we give up a wide open 3. Just one guy to be a .25 second hesitation late on his rotation and we give up a wide open 3. 

I would rather give up threes than layups and free throws at the college level. Our defense is designed to keep opponents away from the rim, which is what I was alluding to. The philosophy of running guys off the line gets them to put the ball on the floor, our rotations keep that driver from getting to the paint, and encourages him to settle for a pull-up long two. Of course, it doesn't always work like that and good teams can make you pay with ball movement and extra passes. I think this defense was ideal for our team. For our lack of size and athleticism, we did a damn good job of preventing opponents from getting easy buckets at the rim. I don't believe we could have done this with any other style of defense besides a true zone. Or a packline defense that would still give up wide open threes, but without requiring ball movement. 

Edited by millerhusker

Quote from Hoiberg

“Brice provides a lot of versatility and can play several spots in our system,” Hoiberg said. “He is a three-level scorer who moves well without the ball and a high-volume 3-point shooter who shot nearly 40 percent from beyond the arc last season. He provides length and experience on the perimeter and led Charlotte to the CBI championship in March. Brice also has a very good understanding of the game, as his father Henry was a great college player and played professionally in Europe for a long time.”

Brice's father Henry is the all-time leading scorer at Charlotte

9 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Sincere question - how do you know he can defend? Curious if you’ve watched or read anything to suggest this. On paper, his defensive rating is more similar to CJ and Keisei than it is to Griesel and Gary. He looks on film like he lacks lateral quickness. Not trying to knock him, just an observation.  I maybe unfairly assumed this, combined with his selfless mentality, is why he’s come off the bench as a scoring punch for much of his career. 

I see a lot of writers saying he can EVEN play the 4 some to space the floor. Of course he can. In most of the stuff we do offensively, there is no difference between the 3 and the 4. They’re just wings. CJ played the “3” and “4” this year and his role/position never changed. It’s more about who you can guard. The norm in college basketball is to trot out three guards, a longer wing and a post player. Indiana and Purdue were the exceptions this year. But “4s” usually look and play like Joey Hauser or Keyontae Johnson. Not typically Caleb Furst or Race Thompson. Brice Williams is a guard/wing, but always guarded the “4s” at Charlotte. Presumably because he wasn’t able to stay in front of opposing guards. And that’s ok. Just not sure you’d want Williams, keisei and Wrightsell/McCollum on the court together much. Hoping we add an athletic perimeter defender… like Sallis.

Totally understand, not saying he is a def stopper. Just believe in our system with his length and agility he will be perfect on close outs and switches.

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I finally finished my in-depth film study piece on Brice for Hail Varsity.

https://hailvarsity.com/basketball/nebrasketball-film-study-charlotte-transfer-brice-williams/

Very cool!  Thanks for sharing.
And this is an exciting prospect from your article: “I can envision Hoiberg calling a lot of the same plays for Williams as he did for Tominaga, which could make things very difficult on opposing defenses if Tominaga returns and shares the court with him.”

• 2 weeks later...