Brice Williams is N

8 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

LOVE this. Can play 2-4, rebound, defend, and great shooter. EXACTLY what we need

Sincere question - how do you know he can defend? Curious if you’ve watched or read anything to suggest this. On paper, his defensive rating is more similar to CJ and Keisei than it is to Griesel and Gary. He looks on film like he lacks lateral quickness. Not trying to knock him, just an observation.  I maybe unfairly assumed this, combined with his selfless mentality, is why he’s come off the bench as a scoring punch for much of his career. 

I see a lot of writers saying he can EVEN play the 4 some to space the floor. Of course he can. In most of the stuff we do offensively, there is no difference between the 3 and the 4. They’re just wings. CJ played the “3” and “4” this year and his role/position never changed. It’s more about who you can guard. The norm in college basketball is to trot out three guards, a longer wing and a post player. Indiana and Purdue were the exceptions this year. But “4s” usually look and play like Joey Hauser or Keyontae Johnson. Not typically Caleb Furst or Race Thompson. Brice Williams is a guard/wing, but always guarded the “4s” at Charlotte. Presumably because he wasn’t able to stay in front of opposing guards. And that’s ok. Just not sure you’d want Williams, keisei and Wrightsell/McCollum on the court together much. Hoping we add an athletic perimeter defender… like Sallis.

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

Sincere question - how do you know he can defend? Curious if you’ve watched or read anything to suggest this. On paper, his defensive rating is more similar to CJ and Keisei than it is to Griesel and Gary. He looks on film like he lacks lateral quickness. Not trying to knock him, just an observation.  I maybe unfairly assumed this, combined with his selfless mentality, is why he’s come off the bench as a scoring punch for much of his career. 

I see a lot of writers saying he can EVEN play the 4 some to space the floor. Of course he can. In most of the stuff we do offensively, there is no difference between the 3 and the 4. They’re just wings. CJ played the “3” and “4” this year and his role/position never changed. It’s more about who you can guard. The norm in college basketball is to trot out three guards, a longer wing and a post player. Indiana and Purdue were the exceptions this year. But “4s” usually look and play like Joey Hauser or Keyontae Johnson. Not typically Caleb Furst or Race Thompson. Brice Williams is a guard/wing, but always guarded the “4s” at Charlotte. Presumably because he wasn’t able to stay in front of opposing guards. And that’s ok. Just not sure you’d want Williams, keisei and Wrightsell/McCollum on the court together much. Hoping we add an athletic perimeter defender… like Sallis.

I'm not sure it matters in our defensive scheme. We kind of scheme around "staying in front of..."

4 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I'm not sure it matters in our defensive scheme. We kind of scheme around "staying in front of..."

Yup. Man defender ability certainly helps but buy-in and awareness are the things we need for our team scheme.  It's harder to individually evaluate that though I'd say Williams defensive rebounding numbers are encouraging for eliminating 2nd chance points.

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

So what you're saying is we got a longer, more athletic CJ who shoots the ball better.

OK. I'm down.

29 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I agree. The style of team defense Howard implemented does a good job of masking any liabilities. Multiple players have to not do their job on a possession for the offense to get a bucket without really working for it. But it is easier to mask liabilities when you have two or three good to great individual defenders on the court. Griesel, Lawrence, Bandoumel and Gary are all in that category. I'd say Sam Hoiberg is a good one, too. Throughout the year we usually had two or three of these guys on the court at any given time. We didn't really have to see what our defense would look like with our 1 through 4 spots being just average (or below average) individual defenders this year. But we might next year at times.