Rienk Mast is N

5 hours ago, jimmykc said:

And somewhere Richard van Poelgeest is smiling.

Need to find the picture that our team took at Whoopers & Hoopers basketball tournament Saturday night party from long, long time ago. Some how van Polgeest joined group picture after talking with him. He did not like being called Dick and wasn't a fan of Danny Nee.

Edited by roscoe

2 hours ago, thrasher31 said:

Huge fan of his game. An underrated aspect imo is him and Wilhelm in theory have similar games, but Mast is the finished version. Over the summer, those two need to be  working together with Mast passing on knowledge to Wilhelm. 

I will just come out and say it, as the worst thing that can happen is he drastically changes and proves me wrong - but I think it's pretty clear Wilhelm was a miss and a bad evaluation. I know he has been injured, but I just do not see it. Seems like an absolutely great, team first, hard working dude - appreciate everything he's done and given. Just don't see the skill base or athletic ability. Not at this level at least. 

And I do remember, when he was finishing up High School, someone actually posted a link to one of his games, and I remember being super hesitant when I actually saw him play in a live, full game. 

Edited by basketballjones

2 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I will just come out and say it, as the worst thing that can happen is he drastically changes and proves me wrong - but I think it's pretty clear Wilhelm his a miss and a bad evaluation. I know he has been injured, but I just do not see it. Seems like an absolutely great, team first, hard working dude - appreciate everything he's done and given. Just don't see the skill base or athletic ability. Not at this level at least. 

And I do remember, when he was finishing up High School, someone actually posted a link to one of his games, and I remember being super hesitant when I actually saw him play in a live, full game. 

I'm sure hoping and praying you are wrong.  This is a solid young man with outstanding work ethic.  We shall see.

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I will just come out and say it, as the worst thing that can happen is he drastically changes and proves me wrong - but I think it's pretty clear Wilhelm was a miss and a bad evaluation. I know he has been injured, but I just do not see it. Seems like an absolutely great, team first, hard working dude - appreciate everything he's done and given. Just don't see the skill base or athletic ability. Not at this level at least. 

Man , we must have watched different high school games. The ones I watched he looked much more fluid and a natural athlete than what we have seen in college so far. That is what gives me hope

17 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I’m usually right with you on player evaluations but I disagree on Wilhelm. Has been hurt both of his off-season here and this last year was basically his freshman year.

on offense I think he could do some things very well for us but needs to stay away from the corner 3s and trying to take guys off the bounce.  Needs to stick to shooting top of the key 3s, picking and rolling, and crashing the offensive boards.

on defense he plain and simple needs to get better at defending on the block, he’s always gonna be a liability on the wings. 

There’s also something to be said for experience in our system imo

2 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I’m usually right with you on player evaluations but I disagree on Wilhelm. Has been hurt both of his off-season here and this last year was basically his freshman year.

on offense I think he could do some things very well for us but needs to stay away from the corner 3s and trying to take guys off the bounce.  Needs to stick to shooting top of the key 3s, picking and rolling, and crashing the offensive boards.

on defense he plain and simple needs to get better at defending on the block, he’s always gonna be a liability on the wings. 

There’s also something to be said for experience in our system imo

In no way do I want to be overly critical of a player and I want it to be clear I think Wilhelm is a great dude, love his effort, and think he could provide valuable minutes. I do want to clarify, because I didn't say it earlier, but I want him here. But I do want to get it straight what you're saying here....

Wilhelm was billed as a versatile swing 4 - but you want him to not shoot corner 3's or attempt to take guys off the dribble? And I also, I think we would all agree, he hasn't shown much knack for being a back-to-the-basket big - right? So you just want him to be a rim defending, rebounding, 5-man, roll guy? 

Again, if that's all you think he is, I think there's was a real miss and poor evaluation of his skills and ability for this level. 

For him to be effective - I think he HAS TO be able to do the things you said you want him to stay away from. 

30 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

In no way do I want to be overly critical of a player and I want it to be clear I think Wilhelm is a great dude, love his effort, and think he could provide valuable minutes. I do want to clarify, because I didn't say it earlier, but I want him here. But I do want to get it straight what you're saying here....

Wilhelm was billed as a versatile swing 4 - but you want him to not shoot corner 3's or attempt to take guys off the dribble? And I also, I think we would all agree, he hasn't shown much knack for being a back-to-the-basket big - right? So you just want him to be a rim defending, rebounding, 5-man, roll guy? 

Again, if that's all you think he is, I think there's was a real miss and poor evaluation of his skills and ability for this level. 

For him to be effective - I think he HAS TO be able to do the things you said you want him to stay away from. 

I think we agree on the missed evaluation outta high school, he was a top 100 or close to top 100 prospect for that cycle if I remember right?  I was more so saying we want him here as a rotational big guy.  we don’t exactly get a lot of 6’10 guys who are possibly comfortable playing 15 minutes a night(maybe he’s not comfortable with that tho).

I don’t think he needs to shoot corner 3s to be an asset to us either, feels like he was 0 percent on those last year lol.  He needs to be able to finish around the hoop better(I think the ability to do that is there) needs to be a threat from the top of the key 3 point wise, needs to rebound on both ends of the floor.  Then needs to figure out how to not get his lunch ate on the defensive side of the floor.  Could he be a Ubel 2.0 for us?  I was pretty young while he was here but I seem to remember him being pretty rough as an underclassmen then blossomed into a pretty good big guy for us by his senior year.

if we are counting on him to play 30 minutes a game this coming year we will both agree that we are screwed.  If he’s out 3rd or 4th big(depending on keita) I think we are in pretty good shape.  Again I value the familiarity with the system and the hope that a full off-season will do him wonders. 

45 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Wilhelm was billed as a versatile swing 4 

247 had him as the 105th best player in the nation and listed him as a center

rivals had him as the 124th best player and also listed as a center 

so not sure who had him as a wing unless that’s what hoiberg said?  Either way the skill that people saw has translated yet,  hopefully with a full off-season it does. 

23 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

247 had him as the 105th best player in the nation and listed him as a center

rivals had him as the 124th best player and also listed as a center 

so not sure who had him as a wing unless that’s what hoiberg said?  Either way the skill that people saw has translated yet,  hopefully with a full off-season it does. 

I kinda remember he being described as a Brady Manek from OU/UNC

I think WB can learn a whole lot from Mast and still has plenty of upside.  

Remember WB is a pretty gifted passer. If he can become a little bit more of an offensive threat (improve outside shooting and 1v1 skills) I think his passing will be more effective. He needs to add 20lbs and decide to be a full time 5 though.  He has no business athletically playing any other spot.  I think he can be a very serviceable backup C with a serious summer.  

33 minutes ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

I think WB can learn a whole lot from Mast and still has plenty of upside.  

Remember WB is a pretty gifted passer. If he can become a little bit more of an offensive threat (improve outside shooting and 1v1 skills) I think his passing will be more effective. He needs to add 20lbs and decide to be a full time 5 though.  He has no business athletically playing any other spot.  I think he can be a very serviceable backup C with a serious summer.  

Man, at first I thought you meant women's basketball 🤪