Transfer Portal 2023

I don't get it. 

We may be kicking the tires on this guy . . . but why would he ever choose the Huskers?

Last year, he started only one game, averaged 12.8 minutes per game, and has only one year left to play.  He'd ride the bench at NU--just like he did at Mississippi State.  Why would he transfer to do that?  He can do that next season at Mississippi State just fine.

It looks like the type of player who might be interested in the Huskers, with its current roster (assuming Keisei comes back), would be someone needing to redshirt: e.g., a development project with years of eligibility left or an injured player who needs time to heal.  

3 hours ago, Swan88 said:

I don't get it. 

We may be kicking the tires on this guy . . . but why would he ever choose the Huskers?

Last year, he started only one game, averaged 12.8 minutes per game, and has only one year left to play.  He'd ride the bench at NU--just like he did at Mississippi State.  Why would he transfer to do that?  He can do that next season at Mississippi State just fine.

It looks like the type of player who might be interested in the Huskers, with its current roster (assuming Keisei comes back), would be someone needing to redshirt: e.g., a development project with years of eligibility left or an injured player who needs time to heal.  

I agree. A month ago when it was busier I wouldn't have bothered to research him.  I think it's interesting in the fact that we would take on another post player....seems like a reaction to Breidenbach leaving.

Anybody know anything about the twitter handle @tonypatelis (over 11k followers)? Replied to a @trillydonovan tweet about Nelson withdrawing and said he's Lincoln-bound. Assuming a joke but I don't know how he operates

https://twitter.com/TonyPatelis/status/1663636089788039168?t=gf1T7M7pgiZxOHd4FG5KKg&s=19

Edited by MichHusker

28 minutes ago, MichHusker said:

Anybody know anything about the twitter handle @tonypatelis (over 11k followers)? Replied to a @trillydonovan tweet about Nelson withdrawing and said he's Lincoln-bound. Assuming a joke but I don't know how he operates

https://twitter.com/TonyPatelis/status/1663636089788039168?t=gf1T7M7pgiZxOHd4FG5KKg&s=19

It's a joke. Tony is a funny follow, though. 

1 hour ago, MichHusker said:

Luca follows him...so...IDK

6 hours ago, MichHusker said:

I found it interesting that Lance Berwald would reply ("why would any basketball player look to transfer to Nebraska") 

Yeah, I really like this kid. Looks to me like he could fill a Sam Griesel role as the tall PG. Has good handles, good vision, anticipates well, sees the floor, and cuts really well. He shot well enough from deep as a freshman. Could probably be mid-30s as a sophomore. At 6'8, can post up smaller guards like Griesel did. Probably needs to add some beef, but he's just going to be a sophomore. I could see him being a PG for us.

Edited by Norm Peterson

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Decent list of schools. I like this kid.  A lot. Not the best rebounder at his height, but he can slash and he can shoot from outside. And he's 6'8. Gets a reasonable amount of assists per minute, too.

Nebraska is one of the few who can show him tape of a dude in a similar role with Dalano Banton and Sam Griesel as taller PGs for the Huskers. That alone might work in our favor, and we have an open slot in the starting lineup up for grabs. It could be a great fit for all parties involved. GBR

NBA Draftroom projects him in the '24 or '25 draft and ranks him among PGs as follows:

2025 PG Rankings

1. Johnuel Fland – 6-3 – White Plains, NY
  2. Freddie Dilione – 6-5 – Tennessee
  3. Bruce Thornton – 6-2 – Ohio State
  4. Sergio de Larrea – 6-6 – Spain
  5. Elliot Cadeau – 6-2 – North Carolina
  6. Miro Little – 6-4 – Baylor (Finland)
  7. Mike Sharavjamts – 6-8 – Dayton (Mongolia)
  8. Egor Demin – 6-7 – Russia
  9. Garway Dual – 6-5 – Providence
  10. Zoom Diallo – 6-4 – Tacoma, WA
  11. Jalik Dunkley-Distant – 6-6 – Canada
  12. Jabari Phillips – 6-3 – Arizona
  13. Jeremy Fears – 6-2 – Michigan State
  14. ZZ Clark – 6-2 – Nashville, TN
  15. Zion Harmon – 5-11 – Bethune-Cookman

He's like Dalano Banton but a better shooter.

I was somewhat lukewarm on Ahron Ulis, I hate to say. His assist stats didn't jump off the page. Not a terrible shooter, but not great. Not the elite kind of PG you might hope to pick up.

But THIS kid. This kid is the package I would have wanted to begin with. All those other PG transfers we looked at would have been OK. But THIS kid has some special qualities.

Would LOVE to see us land him.