Transfer Portal 2023

6 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Blaise had a lower body injury two years ago and a high ankle sprang this past December.  Bluntly, he should be fully recovered now.  

Blaise is a big man with an unhealthy background.  He will soon be here one full year and under the guidance of nutrition, strength, flexibility and skill experts.  If he is not 100% healthy at this point I will be disappointed. 

My experience with high ankle sprains is that they’re a bear and take a long time to heal, depending on the severity. 

33 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

My experience with high ankle sprains is that they’re a bear and take a long time to heal, depending on the severity. 

Me too.  Severity is the key.  But even conservatively, it should be healed within 6 months.

Recovery from a high ankle sprain, often caused in football when a player plants a foot on the ground before an extreme outward twist of the foot, can take 4-6 weeks. Severe high ankle sprains can take up to six months and might require surgery.
Edited by Huskerpapa

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

Had a medically diagnosed high ankle sprain once. Put me out of commission from anything other than a light jog for a good seven - nine months. And this was when I was a much younger man. At one of my appt the MD was like yeah these are brutal. Often times if its a clean break instead of this kind of sprain people heal way fast than these. Gee, thanks for the info Doc 😐. Not sure the truth of that but I felt he could have kept that little tidbit to himself. 

15 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Had a medically diagnosed high ankle sprain once. Put me out of commission from anything other than a light jog for a good seven - nine months. And this was when I was a much younger man. At one of my appt the MD was like yeah these are brutal. Often times if its a clean break instead of this kind of sprain people heal way fast than these. Gee, thanks for the info Doc 😐. Not sure the truth of that but I felt he could have kept that little tidbit to himself. 

I had a similar experience about a year ago. Still not 100%. I don’t have access to the consistency of care BK does though so he’ll likely be back to full speed way faster than I was. 

I feel good about Allick, and as a backup 5/4, he'd be perfect. Think he's visiting Southern Illinois this weekend, which was already in the cards before he came here. If we don't land him, portal closes in 2 weeks so there will be other backup 5 options. 

Sallis no clue. I took a look at WF's roster and they should have the 3 guard spots locked up with productive guys already, with one being a transfer from central mich. I want to say I feel good, but we'll see. 

39 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Sallis no clue. I took a look at WF's roster and they should have the 3 guard spots locked up with productive guys already, with one being a transfer from central mich. I want to say I feel good, but we'll see. 

Don't we have 3 as well with KT (I'm assuming he returns), Lawrence and Williams? Not to mention Lloyd and Wilcher. If Sallis wants to start, he's going to have to push somebody aside at either place.

8 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Don't we have 3 as well with KT (I'm assuming he returns), Lawrence and Williams? Not to mention Lloyd and Wilcher. If Sallis wants to start, he's going to have to push somebody aside at either place.

We do not have a PG and I think that is the driving factor for Hunter. Assume WF is offering the same but who knows.

13 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I won't pretend to be an expert on Wake's depth chart, but your analysis of our own depth seems exceptionally optimistic.  I don't see a lot of road blocks to Sallis locking down the starting PG spot.

-Lawrence has proven to be an adequate rotation piece; maybe he is ready to jump up to starter's minutes, or maybe not.  But I highly doubt he is making the giant leap up to something like 32-36 minutes per game. 

-Williams will likely be a starter, but he also has shown that he is comfortable being a Manu Ginobili off the bench.  So there's potentially an extra open starting spot.

-KT is a lock to start in our backcourt, but he isn't vying for minutes at point.  

-Lloyd has played zero college minutes.  As much as I think he has potential to be a star, a kid who was in Gonzaga's rotation should not be worried about a redshirt from Nebraska stealing his minutes.

-Wilcher? He was close to falling out of the rotation altogether towards the end of the season.

I was responding to the point that WF had 3 guys penciled in at the guard spots, so Sallis would have to push one of them out. What I'm saying is that wherever he goes, he's going to be pushing somebody out the lineup.

Fwiw, Torvik has our current lineup ranked higher than Wake Forest.

I see your thought process. But WF guards (Hildreth, Monsanto, and Kevin Miller) all are double figures a game guy, with only Miller being a move up guy from Central Michigan. Hildreth, if everything goes like it should, is going to get the lions share of the touches and could be an NBA guy this time next year. Monsanto is one of the better 3 point shooters in the ACC with putting up 40% from there on 8 3s a game. He did have a knee injury so maybe they're being precautionary with that? Miller put up good numbers at CMU and from the looks of it should be their starting PG. I'm not thinking he'd push one out, I just think he'd be a sixth man for them.

Compared to the guards here, it's different. Love Lawrence, but he's 40% from the stripe right now. That's going to cut some of his minutes regardless of how he plays. Keisei by all accounts will put up numbers again. Brice Williams I like, but there's a massive adjustment to big ten play from Charlotte. Don't be shocked if he comes off the bench to start. There's really no PG on the roster I trust, and from the looks of it, that's where they're recruiting him. That's more or less what I was getting at.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

I see your thought process. But WF guards (Hildreth, Monsanto, and Kevin Miller) all are double figures a game guy, with only Miller being a move up guy from Central Michigan. Hildreth, if everything goes like it should, is going to get the lions share of the touches and could be an NBA guy this time next year. Monsanto is one of the better 3 point shooters in the ACC with putting up 40% from there on 8 3s a game. He did have a knee injury so maybe they're being precautionary with that? Miller put up good numbers at CMU and from the looks of it should be their starting PG. I'm not thinking he'd push one out, I just think he'd be a sixth man for them.

Compared to the guards here, it's different. Love Lawrence, but he's 40% from the stripe right now. That's going to cut some of his minutes regardless of how he plays. Keisei by all accounts will put up numbers again. Brice Williams I like, but there's a massive adjustment to big ten play from Charlotte. Don't be shocked if he comes off the bench to start. There's really no PG on the roster I trust, and from the looks of it, that's where they're recruiting him. That's more or less what I was getting at.

I personally think williams game will translate pretty well/easily to a high major conference. He does need to get better on the defensive end tho, his fram and athleticism is way too good not to be a plus defender. Who else would start at the three the first game? 

I personally think williams game will translate pretty well/easily to a high major conference. He does need to get better on the defensive end tho, his fram and athleticism is way too good not to be a plus defender. Who else would start at the three the first game? 
I think (assuming Sallis is N), it would be:

Sallis
Lawrence
Keisei
Gary
Mast

You could make an argument for Lawrence being the sixth man and Brice starting to have plus size on the perimeter, but it's hard for me to assume that. Nothing against him at all honestly, I think he'll be great. Fwiw, he was willing to come off the bench at Charlotte, so I don't think it would be out of the question. I do think if Sallis is aboard he'd be the starting PG though with keisei opposite. Having options is never a bad thing either.

Sallis
Lawrence
Keisei
Gary
Mast

You could make an argument for Lawrence being the sixth man and Brice starting to have plus size on the perimeter, but it's hard for me to assume that. Nothing against him at all honestly, I think he'll be great. Fwiw, he was willing to come off the bench at Charlotte, so I don't think it would be out of the question. I do think if Sallis is aboard he'd be the starting PG though with keisei opposite. Having options is never a bad thing either.

I'll caveat this with I have no idea what Sallis is going to do. From looking at the rosters, that's the conclusion I drew. But I could definitely be wrong. Just an educated guess

25 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Sallis
Lawrence
Keisei
Gary
Mast

ohhh ok ok, i was under the assumption that sallis would play a lot of pg and then you can have lineups like this 

sallis 

keisei 

brice

juwan

mast

then lawrence can come in and really play any of the spots 1-3

ohhh ok ok, i was under the assumption that sallis would play a lot of pg and then you can have lineups like this 

sallis 
keisei 
brice
juwan
mast

then lawrence can come in and really play any of the spots 1-3

Like I said, having options isn't a bad thing. Either would work honestly. I can see that happening like I said