Transfer Portal 2023

McCollum and Wrightsell will both be done with visits early next week so we may have our lead guard situation wrapped up by then. 

Both were pretty high usage players this season. I believe Wrigthsell had a more talented team around him and played a slightly tougher schedule.

Wrightsell higher volume. McCollum higher TS% and EF% (not a huge difference between the two players here).  McCollum gets to the line more often. Both are elite free throw shooters. Three point shooting is also comparable. 

McCollum's assist rate was >2x Wrightsell's.  McCollum turned the ball over more, but was really their only point guard that played. Wrightsell shared ball handling/distributing duties pretty evenly with other guards. 

Analytically, Wrightsell appears to be the better defender. I don't have an eye test to go off of to add to this. 

About the same height/length. Wrightsell is heavier, stronger. Both are quick enough. Neither appear to be real explosive. Will finish below the rim (McCollum much more efficient at "close 2s"). 

Offense eye test from minimal film (feel free to add to this or dispute it): Wrightsell is a shoot first, aggressive combo guard who can score on all three levels. McCollum a bit more of a technician and under/in control, has some next level pure point guard skills and is also a smooth scorer.

If we had to choose between the two, I'd sill prefer McCollum. But wouldn't really argue with anyone who'd choose Wrightsell. Both are capable of playing at this level. 

4 hours ago, millerhusker said:

McCollum and Wrightsell will both be done with visits early next week so we may have our lead guard situation wrapped up by then. 

Both were pretty high usage players this season. I believe Wrigthsell had a more talented team around him and played a slightly tougher schedule.

Wrightsell higher volume. McCollum higher TS% and EF% (not a huge difference between the two players here).  McCollum gets to the line more often. Both are elite free throw shooters. Three point shooting is also comparable. 

McCollum's assist rate was >2x Wrightsell's.  McCollum turned the ball over more, but was really their only point guard that played. Wrightsell shared ball handling/distributing duties pretty evenly with other guards. 

Analytically, Wrightsell appears to be the better defender. I don't have an eye test to go off of to add to this. 

About the same height/length. Wrightsell is heavier, stronger. Both are quick enough. Neither appear to be real explosive. Will finish below the rim (McCollum much more efficient at "close 2s"). 

Offense eye test from minimal film (feel free to add to this or dispute it): Wrightsell is a shoot first, aggressive combo guard who can score on all three levels. McCollum a bit more of a technician and under/in control, has some next level pure point guard skills and is also a smooth scorer.

If we had to choose between the two, I'd sill prefer McCollum. But wouldn't really argue with anyone who'd choose Wrightsell. Both are capable of playing at this level. 

I don’t even think of LW as a combo guard, more of a true shooting guard IMO. I much prefer McCollum.

I think I know why CU was not interested and dont think he’d be a great fit for them anyway.

Edited by Art Vandalay

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

His perimeter jumper isn't fast and he doesn't get a lot of elevation on the jump. But he is accurate and has deep range.

These are good things imo.  Watch a lot of NBA and they shoot like this.  They aren’t elevating very high on jumpers.  And if you aren’t open enough for this to work it isn’t a good shot anyway.  

1 hour ago, busticket said:

To me Wrightsell screams combo guard, and I want a true (and established) point guard in a perfect world.  That’s why Glynn Watson was my favorite recruit of the Tim Miles era.  

Wrightsell slots more into the Keisei/Lawrence role in my opinion.

The Wrightsell visit did make me think of the logjam of Him/Keisei/Lawrence. And Sallis possibly wants to play with Wrightsell, and could slot as a combo guard as well. Having 4 off ball guards and zero true point guards would be an odd roster make up. I assume Sallis is the primary ball handler in that situation? 

We do NOT have a Big Ten caliber point guard sitting on our roster. We need to get one. That is priority #1. I think there are guys out there who fit the bill and I am very hopeful that we will land one of them. I think we have enough other ballhandlers to get by if we can just get a solid starter through the portal. Q is NOT that guy.

We're lacking a quality starting big to replace Derrick Walker. That's priority #2. I think there are guys out there who would fit the bill. I'm hoping we can land *at least* one of them. At this point, I don't have a high level of confidence that either Blaise or Wilhelm will a) be healthy enough and b) develop enough to be the kind of big man we need in our starting lineup to compete in this league. We gotta find someone. I'm somewhat optimistic, but y'know ...

We already have ample, decent shooting guards/wings. I use that term "decent" advisedly. None of them would be world beaters, necessarily, but virtually all of them would be able to at least contribute on a decent Big Ten team. If we had to go to battle with the 2-guards/wings we have on the roster, we could make it work. Adding Brice Williams would certainly strengthen this position group.

The 5th starter could either be a stretch-4 like Juwan Gary or another guard. We have enough guards to play 4-out. I hope Juwan's off-season surgery was successful and that he'll return better than ever. But he has not demonstrated the perimeter or interior shooting ability I would want at that spot. Great rebounder. Great defensively. Lacks shooting touch inside as well as outside. I think we could do better in the portal but I'd still like him in a reserve role, or as a starter if we don't find an upgrade through the portal.

What I don't want is I don't want an entire roster overhaul.

I want to see Keisei return. And I want to see Jamarques return. I want to see what Ramel can do when he isn't trying to portray the other team's best player as a member of the scout team. I think Ramel could be a future star. He has great length and he's a 3-level scorer. Does he have enough dawg in him to also be a defensive stopper?

I want to see CJ back. I think he can fulfill a role on this team and be successful at it. I think Sam Hoiberg can play the role of sparkplug off the bench.

We're not bereft of talent. Sure, there are a couple of very key pieces we need to go get, and it would be nice to augment a couple of other spots. But I feel like for the first time in the Hoiberg era: a) we have a foundation of players to build around where we don't need to scrap the whole lineup and start over; and b) we made enough progress year over year to sell potential portal recruits on the idea that they could come here and be the missing piece needed to put us over the hump to the next level up.

Fred can be successful here and I don't think he needs to completely scrap this roster and start over. Just add some important, key pieces.

3 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

I don’t even think of LW as a combo guard, more of a true shooting guard IMO. I much prefer McCollum.

I think I know why CU was not interested but dont think he’d be a great fit for them.

I hear ya, but if we took Wrightsell, I don’t think we’d also take a point guard. 

13 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/news/transfer-portal-recruiting-intel-live-blog-harrison-ingram-ryan-nembhard/

Regarding Mast. Basically says Iowa and Nebraska were the two schools involved. Iowa took Krikke. Mast could be N soon.

Mast would be an excellent pickup. Definitely could play at BIG level.

Just now, Chuck Taylor said:

Mast would be an excellent pickup. Definitely could play at BIG level.

Reminds me of Filip Rebraca, who transferred to Iowa from North Dakota. Maybe a bit undersized, but plenty strong/physical and just has a feel for rebounding and scoring in the post. Also a decent shooter and passer. Better than Krikke in every aspect IMO. 

On 4/6/2023 at 6:23 PM, Dead Dog Alley said:

If he does go there, hopefully we will repeat history.

image.png

Nightmare…..we absolutely hammer these guys in the regular season and have one of our best years ever (90-91)…only to have us lose right off as a 3 seed and they won a game in the dance that year….Nebraska basketball, you can’t even make this stuff up.

5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

We do NOT have a Big Ten caliber point guard sitting on our roster. We need to get one. That is priority #1. I think there are guys out there who fit the bill and I am very hopeful that we will land one of them. I think we have enough other ballhandlers to get by if we can just get a solid starter through the portal. Q is NOT that guy.

We're lacking a quality starting big to replace Derrick Walker. That's priority #2. I think there are guys out there who would fit the bill. I'm hoping we can land *at least* one of them. At this point, I don't have a high level of confidence that either Blaise or Wilhelm will a) be healthy enough and b) develop enough to be the kind of big man we need in our starting lineup to compete in this league. We gotta find someone. I'm somewhat optimistic, but y'know ...

We already have ample, decent shooting guards/wings. I use that term "decent" advisedly. None of them would be world beaters, necessarily, but virtually all of them would be able to at least contribute on a decent Big Ten team. If we had to go to battle with the 2-guards/wings we have on the roster, we could make it work. Adding Brice Williams would certainly strengthen this position group.

The 5th starter could either be a stretch-4 like Juwan Gary or another guard. We have enough guards to play 4-out. I hope Juwan's off-season surgery was successful and that he'll return better than ever. But he has not demonstrated the perimeter or interior shooting ability I would want at that spot. Great rebounder. Great defensively. Lacks shooting touch inside as well as outside. I think we could do better in the portal but I'd still like him in a reserve role, or as a starter if we don't find an upgrade through the portal.

What I don't want is I don't want an entire roster overhaul.

I want to see Keisei return. And I want to see Jamarques return. I want to see what Ramel can do when he isn't trying to portray the other team's best player as a member of the scout team. I think Ramel could be a future star. He has great length and he's a 3-level scorer. Does he have enough dawg in him to also be a defensive stopper?

I want to see CJ back. I think he can fulfill a role on this team and be successful at it. I think Sam Hoiberg can play the role of sparkplug off the bench.

We're not bereft of talent. Sure, there are a couple of very key pieces we need to go get, and it would be nice to augment a couple of other spots. But I feel like for the first time in the Hoiberg era: a) we have a foundation of players to build around where we don't need to scrap the whole lineup and start over; and b) we made enough progress year over year to sell potential portal recruits on the idea that they could come here and be the missing piece needed to put us over the hump to the next level up.

Fred can be successful here and I don't think he needs to completely scrap this roster and start over. Just add some important, key pieces.

At the risk of brevity in responding, we lost our best 2 players, and best defender, on an 11th place team.  We need more than a couple key pieces to have substantially more success.  Fred wants more than 2 from this portal season.