Transfer Javian McCollum

hhcmatt

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Seems like the visit went well, we're in the top 3

Would we take both McCollum and Wrightsell or is it the first guy who signs sort of deal?

Washut thinks we take one or the other, not both. And seems like the staff's first choice would be McCollum. That could be why Wrightsell is now looking at taking additional visits after the three he already had planned. 

31 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

We didn't really have one this last year...

There aren't a ton of pure point guards in college basketball anymore. Did anyone watch the NCAA tournament? We didn't have a pure point guard our most recent visit to the dance either. And I'd say a Miles offense was more desperate for someone who could create for others than a Hoiberg offense that emphasizes proper spacing and ball/off-ball movement. Hoiberg desperately needs the primary initiator to be a selfless, tough-minded player. I don't care if Wrightsell, or anyone else, isn't a point guard. But I've heard enough from people who have seen him play to at least be skeptical of his toughness and mentality. I KNEW Sam Griesel was tough as boot leather and a team first guy. I think Hunter Sallis is, as well. Hoiberg's point guard's stats will always look good on paper due to the system. Just give me a guy who is tough, makes good decisions and plays defense. 

Edit: I'm not saying a real pure point guard wouldn't be a great thing. I'd love it. It's my favorite position in all of sports, when done right. They just don't make 'em, or use 'em, like they used to. 

Edited by millerhusker

Thank you!  

The offense that Fred runs really is not reliant upon the traditional point guard.  We leverage (at times) a primary ball handler.  Last year it was generally Sam G.  

Shoot, if you look at our current roster going into next season, pretty much anyone other than Blaise can initiate our offense.  Again, who brings the ball into the front court is open to game situations. 

2 hours ago, millerhusker said:

There aren't a ton of pure point guards in college basketball anymore. Did anyone watch the NCAA tournament? We didn't have a pure point guard our most recent visit to the dance either. And I'd say a Miles offense was more desperate for someone who could create for others than a Hoiberg offense that emphasizes proper spacing and ball/off-ball movement. Hoiberg desperately needs the primary initiator to be a selfless, tough-minded player. I don't care if Wrightsell, or anyone else, isn't a point guard. But I've heard enough from people who have seen him play to at least be skeptical of his toughness and mentality. I KNEW Sam Griesel was tough as boot leather and a team first guy. I think Hunter Sallis is, as well. Hoiberg's point guard's stats will always look good on paper due to the system. Just give me a guy who is tough, makes good decisions and plays defense. 

Edit: I'm not saying a real pure point guard wouldn't be a great thing. I'd love it. It's my favorite position in all of sports, when done right. They just don't make 'em, or use 'em, like they used to. 

Great points here. 

2 hours ago, millerhusker said:

I KNEW Sam Griesel was tough as boot leather and a team first guy. I think Hunter Sallis is, as well. Hoiberg's point guard's stats will always look good on paper due to the system. Just give me a guy who is tough, makes good decisions and plays defense. 

I've been salivating at the thought of Sallis playing the Sammy G role next year surrounded by shooters like Keisei/Lawrence/Williams, giving him plenty of room to operate.  

22 hours ago, HuscurAdam said:

I've been salivating at the thought of Sallis playing the Sammy G role next year surrounded by shooters like Keisei/Lawrence/Williams, giving him plenty of room to operate.  

Exactly my thought. 

But apparently he's pretty enamored with Wake Forest. Which tracks because Steve Forbes is the man. Hopefully we can make our case.