Nebraska (14-8-1) vs. Texas A&M CC (13-14) & Abilene Christian (20-6) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

12 hours ago, hskr4life said:

1st loss from one of our Fri/Sat guys since when?  USD?

Yup - he didn't have his best stuff, but defense and offense let him down. Bullpen held up its end of the bargain too. Another costly loss.

Things would look a whole lot different if we didn't blow the 6-run last-inning lead at USD, 2-run last-inning lead at CU, beat Omaha, and then beat Nicholls or ACU, as we easily could have. 19-5 would be pretty solid and have us in the at-large mix, even with a weak schedule.

Ultimately, though, our non-con struggles have almost eliminated us from NCAA at-large consideration at this point. Probably have to win the B1G regular season to have any shot at an at-large at this point, plus a deep run in the B1G tourney.

Huge weekend coming up at Michigan. Gotta get 2 of 3 at a minimum to stay in the hunt, I'd imagine. Drop this series, and Michigan gets to 7-2, while we'd be at 3-3. Long road back from that kind of deficit with us having trips to Maryland & Iowa still on the horizon and Michigan not playing Maryland, Iowa, or Indiana. Starting to look like Michigan got a gift of a B1G schedule, and they appear to be good enough to take advantage of it.

And if we somehow get swept, it's over. UM would be 8-1 and we'd be 2-4 with a lot of teams to climb over. I hate to call a series this early in the season a must win, but if the goal is to win the regular season title, this series simply is a must win.

On the other hand, B1G standings are a little crazy right now, though, so maybe it won't take 19 or 20 wins to win the league like I thought it might earlier. I mean Minnesota won a series at Ohio St - that's insanity with the way those two teams were trending 2 weeks ago.

1. Indiana    5-1
   Michigan    5-1
3. Michigan State    4-2
4. Nebraska    2-1

Maryland    2-1
    Minnesota    2-1
7. Purdue    3-3
8. Illinois    2-4
9. Iowa    1-2
   Rutgers    1-2
    Northwestern    1-2
12. Penn State    1-5
    Ohio State    1-5

Edited by throwback

2 hours ago, throwback said:

Yup - he didn't have his best stuff, but defense and offense let him down. Bullpen held up its end of the bargain too. Another costly loss.

Things would look a whole lot different if we didn't blow the 6-run last-inning lead at USD, 2-run last-inning lead at CU, beat Omaha, and then beat Nicholls or ACU, as we easily could have. 19-5 would be pretty solid and have us in the at-large mix, even with a weak schedule.

Ultimately, though, our non-con struggles have almost eliminated us from NCAA at-large consideration at this point. Probably have to win the B1G regular season to have any shot at an at-large at this point, plus a deep run in the B1G tourney.

Huge weekend coming up at Michigan. Gotta get 2 of 3 at a minimum to stay in the hunt, I'd imagine. Drop this series, and Michigan gets to 7-2, while we'd be at 3-3. Long road back from that kind of deficit with us having trips to Maryland & Iowa still on the horizon and Michigan not playing Maryland, Iowa, or Indiana. Starting to look like Michigan got a gift of a B1G schedule, and they appear to be good enough to take advantage of it.

And if we somehow get swept, it's over. UM would be 8-1 and we'd be 2-4 with a lot of teams to climb over. I hate to call a series this early in the season a must win, but if the goal is to win the regular season title, this series simply is a must win.

On the other hand, B1G standings are a little crazy right now, though, so maybe it won't take 19 or 20 wins to win the league like I thought it might earlier. I mean Minnesota won a series at Ohio St - that's insanity with the way those two teams were trending 2 weeks ago.

As always— our Fri/Sat guys are one of the best 1-2 punches in the B1G.  Is it enough to win us the B1G?  I don’t know.  We realllllly need some sweeps and can’t afford more mid-week losses.  Does winning the regular season title get us in?  I don’t know this year.  Could the B1G be a 1 bid League this year?

I don't think it's a 1 bid league, but probably no more than 2 or 3, which is where we've been since the idiotic decision to have us play conference only games in 2021. The B1G was trending upward nicely before 2020 in terms of bids.

The last thing the league needs is 4 or 5 teams fighting for the title at 15 or 16 wins, because that could lead to a 1 bid league. Need a couple teams to get to 18+ wins and separate themselves to make the selection committee take notice.

Don't want to be Rutgers from last year. Finish 2nd in regular season and tournament runner-up with 41 wins and get left out. I don't know if winning the regular season would be enough to give us an NCAA at-large bid, but it has to be the goal at this point, because that's all we can control. 

1 minute ago, throwback said:

I don't think it's a 1 bid league, but probably no more than 2 or 3, which is where we've been since the idiotic decision to have us play conference only games in 2021. The B1G was trending upward nicely before 2020 in terms of bids.

The last thing the league needs is 4 or 5 teams fighting for the title at 15 or 16 wins, because that could lead to a 1 bid league. Need a couple teams to get to 18+ wins and separate themselves to make the selection committee take notice.

Don't want to be Rutgers from last year. Finish 2nd in regular season and tournament runner-up with 41 wins and get left out. I don't know if winning the regular season would be enough to give us an NCAA at-large bid, but it has to be the goal at this point, because that's all we can control. 

I may be off on this, but I do believe that our name, unlike in basketball, still carries *some* weight in the baseball landscape.  Not like a KU basketball or anything like that, but also not a 22 win Nebrasketball team not making the dance level of weight either.