Sam Griesel vs. Creighton

Five

Statewide...probably the firing of Frost and the hire of Coach Rhule.

Most of the population outside of Omaha could care less about Creighton, but were likely intrigued  by their run.  

A lot of Nebrakans likely were happy that both Sammy and Brady came back to their home state to finish their collegiate careers.

Edited by Huskerpapa

• Five changed the title to Sam Griesel vs. Creighton

Sam reminded folks they’re are MANY people (let’s call it a Silent Majority) who DO grow up dreaming of playing Nebraska Basketball 🏀 He embodies the work ethic, grit & fearlessness that Cornhusker fans have come to know & love. And remember Creighton was paying players before there was ever NIL money 💰 

4 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Neither had a statewide impact.  Your average person in Nebraska doesn't know who Sam Griesel is.  And your average person west of Elkhorn doesn't care about Creighton in any capacity.

Although, if you would have seen the reaction of the fans, especially the kids, to Sam at the State Basketball tournament you would have thought he was an icon.

8 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Although, if you would have seen the reaction of the fans, especially the kids, to Sam at the State Basketball tournament you would have thought he was an icon.

That's not the point.  The relatively small number of people that care enough about basketball to attend a state tourney are not your average Nebraskans.  

If you want to know what kind of impact Sam had statewide, then ask a barber in Valentine what he thinks of Sam.  Ask your cashier at a Milligan grocery store.  Ask a waitress at the North Platte Applebee's.  Or a barista at the Sidney Starbucks.  Do you think those people would say they were impacted by either Sam or Creighton?  I don't.  And that's my point, that neither of the options have had a statewide impact on Nebraska.

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

That's not the point.  The relatively small number of people that care enough about basketball to attend a state tourney are not your average Nebraskans.  

If you want to know what kind of impact Sam had statewide, then ask a barber in Valentine what he thinks of Sam.  Ask your cashier at a Milligan grocery store.  Ask a waitress at the North Platte Applebee's.  Or a barista at the Sidney Starbucks.  Do you think those people would say they were impacted by either Sam or Creighton?  I don't.  And that's my point, that neither of the options have had a statewide impact on Nebraska.

That's the product of a football-first state. I don't think a majority cares about anything basketball related regardless. 

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

You’d be surprised, there’s a LOT more of us out there than you would think(Husker Basketball fans). I remember stopping in the 49’r a few years ago & there was only one other gentleman in the bar & a Husker game on the TV. Come to find out he knew everyone from Carl McPipe on down & I’ve seen that happen more often than not, especially in a Football saturated State. 

2 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

I guess I disagree.  I have asked and know a lot of people in northeast and central Nebraska who follow husker basketball; perhaps more religiously than those of us in Lincoln.  Same with Husker baseball and Volleyball. 

Of course I may not share the same interest as some of those that you mentioned.  I just think there are a lot of fans out there.

1 hour ago, OmahaHusker said:

Expand  

That's the product of a football-first state. I don't think a majority cares about anything basketball related regardless

How many waitresses at North Platte's Applebee's could tell you who our quarterback was last season?

Probably not many. But also probably more than who could pick out Sam Griesel or Sam Hoiberg in a lineup.

I can't speak for the OP, but instead of who had a bigger impact this year, maybe the question should be who received more respect this year? I'll guarantee you no one in Valentine, Sidney or North Platte gives a crap about Creighton. They know who Sam is.  Can't tell you about Milligan.  They don't have a grocery store. 

33 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

If Nebraska BB had some, just some of the FB success, people throughout the State would be enthralled by NU BB.  Too many people are front runners, they are only supporters when the team wins and wins big.

Look at Volleyball & Baseball to illustrate your point. Buck Beltzer was like a Legion Ball Field… 

On 3/28/2023 at 2:50 PM, aphilso1 said:

I think we are all missing the point here. Mainly, when did Sidney get a Starbucks? 😎

For the sake of introspection:

Could Sam Griesel have played on a decent team in the Big Ten: 6 pages

Your National Champion Bluejays: 7 pages (proud to proclaim I currently have zero posts in this one)

At the end of the day it's probably not as gripping but it's healthier when one's fandom is fueled more by like for your own team than dislike of another.

10 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Your National Champion Bluejays: 7 pages (proud to proclaim I currently have zero posts in this one)

At the end of the day it's probably not as gripping but it's healthier when one's fandom is fueled more by like for your own team than dislike of another.

With as much success as we've had since about 2000, one could lose interest pretty quickly if you weren't fueled by rooting against Creighton and Iowa.

5 hours ago, Buglem said:

I think we are all missing the point here. Mainly, when did Sidney get a Starbucks? 😎

Did the Starbucks go under?  They used to have one inside a grocery store.

EDIT:  Just looked it up.  It's still there. https://www.starbucks.com/store-locator/store/1006274/safeway-sidney-2555-1944-illinois-st-sidney-ne-69162-us

Edited by aphilso1

6 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Just think how many pages it would be by now if Creighton hadn’t gotten “screwed” by the Refs…😄🐣😄