NE womens team needs players for 23-24

Redhac

1 hour ago, redsteve said:

The more I think about it....we really need players at all positions.

Every team has the same issues, but some manage it better than others. Recruiting is bigger than ever before. Must improve the skill sets of newbies recruited. 

Agree, recruiting and player development are huge.  I'm not sure these are strong attributes of this staff.  I hope they prove me wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to keep this thread going post-Jaz decision.  We’re now almost 3 weeks past the Jaz decision with no indication that we’re active in the portal.  This could be incorrect given the paucity of info, but there’s no reason to expect this coaching crew to suddenly become aggressive roster enhancers, absent a Trev mandate of course.
To me the pertinent roster management question is not how many spots are still open (it’s probably 3), but rather what roster needs do we still have if our goal is, say, 25 wins?  Here are my answers:

1) a TRUE point guard who can distribute efficiently first and foremost, but can also shoot and get to the hole well enough to keep defenses honest.  Neither Jaz nor Alison fits this description IMO.  Jaz is a great shooter when she’s OFF ball, and her great passing vision is offset by her frequently poor passing judgment.  Alison, even if healthy, is not a good enough outside shooter or right-hand handler.

2) a low-post scorer/rebounder, i.e., Bourne clone.  Maybe one or both of the incoming frosh can immediately fill this need but that’s wishful thinking.

In all likelihood we need roster ADDITIONS to meet these needs, so it’s disheartening but not completely surprising that we don’t seem to be pursuing either in the portal.

3) Equally important for 25-win roster management is the development of the existing roster, especially Markowski.  Getting Weidner back at full strength is obviously important, but AM simply has to get quicker and more creative offensively, i.e., become a Czinano clone.

If our coaches find a way to meet all 3 of these roster needs I think 25 wins is the floor for this team.  If none of the 3 occur (unfortunately much more likely in my view) then I think 18-20 is the ceiling.

34 minutes ago, Neb Nets said:

I don’t know much about Lexi Donarski from ISU. Has she announced her transfer destination yet? If we could get her on campus for a visit, if she saw Hendricks Training Center & PBA, I like our chances at getting her. But maybe she wouldn’t be able to address our need for a true point guard? 

been looking for her decision.........that would absolutely be huge if she chose nebraska. i don't see it though. 

I think volleyball has been her ultimate goal.  But as she said at the conclusion of women's BB she really liked the physical play.  As long as the two sports continue to compliment each other I see her sticking it out in both sports.  

11 minutes ago, HUD said:

I think volleyball has been her ultimate goal.  But as she said at the conclusion of women's BB she really liked the physical play.  As long as the two sports continue to compliment each other I see her sticking it out in both sports.  

didn't see her comments at the conclusion of the season. been noted in earlier posts, she has stated vb is her true love.