Dillard, Nailah     Hope gone
9  players back if no others leave    
  Add          
1   Potts, Natalie        
1   Nissley, Logan        
1   Petrie, Jesica         
12  not counting Shelley or Bourne    

Need 3 more to get to 15

Williams nedss to get with it to get players.  

New in the transfer portal 3-24. 

March 24 — Iowa State’s Lexi Donarski enters transfer portal

Iowa State guard Lexi Donarski has entered the transfer portal, the Des Moines Register’s Tommy Birch reported. Donarski, a three-time starter, joins three other Iowa State players to enter to the portal: Maggie Espenmiller-McGraw, Maggie Vick and Morgan Kane.

Saw an article noting the ISU players who had entered the portal.  Thought pretty much the same thing- that Coach Williams and co. needed to make some phone calls (contact generally) to at least some of these gals if not all of them.  Particularly Donarski.  I would think she would but then I have no inside info. etc.

Edited by mwm89

I am a bit confused by Redhac's table because although Brady and Dillard are in the same "status unknown" category, there is a "1" preceding Brady's name but not a "1" for Dillard. If we treat them both as "players back", that makes 10 and if we treat them both as probably gone, that makes 8.  

Brady was not on the bench for at least the last half of the season and Dillard was absent for even longer than that.  Both have chronic injuries. Unless they were in the crowd somewhere, it seems as tho they weren't sufficiently interested to even attend the games. Both were freshmen in 2019.  Assuming that they were 18 years old when they began college in 2019, they will be 23 when next season begins. Additionally, Dillard was listed as a graduate student in this year's pre-season pub. Perhaps they think it is time to get on to their after college life.  I have to believe that they are gone. I am not a Twitter user so I don't know if they have accounts there that contain mention to their status. Perhaps other members here could "go detective" and check out Twitter.  

I count eight players back who have not used a covid year and two might do so. Add in three recruits, and I get 13 thus leaving two vacant scholarships. If the Aussies break our hearts and leave, there would be four. 

But even more uncertainty looms because, though unlikely, some of the eight players with remaining eligibility might transfer out (shudder and perish the thought !).  Bottom line: we have two for sure, two maybes depending on Bourne and Shelley, and one more for any existing player who leaves.  

One more thought: Sorry that i don't remember the teams but i distinctly recall watching NCAA early round games in which the commentators said that one team was playing with six transfers and another with an astonishing NINE!  

We must recruit (or transfer) players that play fast, and are excellent ball handlers.  Have thought that a long time. Watching WNIT, and NCAA's is really apparent how fast many better teams play. We look a like we're a couple of steps slower. And not many good teams rely on the 3 to keep them in the game. Sure many shoot some 3's to, but most with quick kids attacking the paint (in many ways) in concert with some perimeter shots. All have serious defense schemes, and play D hard.

Utah, Louisville, and of course Maryland, So Carolina, etc etc, all have fast paced play. All are effective the paint, as well as sort 10-15 foot shooters. LSU is all score by  their bigs at the basket. 

Felt bad for the Utah player that could have won the game against LSU. Has two free throws with about 3 seconds left and she air balled the first, and missed the second. You could see in her eyes she was paralyzed with fear and completely choked.  Broke down on the bench and was crying. 

Anyway, hear that Coaches?  :)

I'm not a proponent of adding players just to get to a certain number.  Yes, depth is important.  You need the right players with the right attitude/mindset. 

If Jaz and Issie are back, and if Allison is healthy, then who we recruit from the portal will be affected.  So, determining the status of those three comes first.  We cannot take the ready, shoot, aim approach.  Our staff knows and understands this and formulated plans that shall unfold as the domino's fall.

PORTAL:

Pretty sure the women’s basketball portals are open March 13 - May 11, so some decisions must be made on who's leaving NU (for whatever reason), and who's not. 

if you need position players you can't wait (if you need to pursue someone)   There's already good players available.  Go talk to Ruhl if you need help.

Louisville took advantage of it last season, and were able to draw in good players,  as did other high level teams.

If we do in fact lose the Aussies (and Sam of course), there's no time to wait. If we don't stick our foot in the portal, in that case it's a head scratcher. 

Three new and unknown freshman....new to college level play, probably will have a learning curve that could take a lot of games.  

23 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I'm not a proponent of adding players just to get to a certain number.  Yes, depth is important.  You need the right players with the right attitude/mindset. 

If Jaz and Issie are back, and if Allison is healthy, then who we recruit from the portal will be affected.  So, determining the status of those three comes first.  We cannot take the ready, shoot, aim approach.  Our staff knows and understands this and formulated plans that shall unfold as the domino's fall.

don't think anyone would disagree that Issie and Jaz have a lot of respect for the program and coach.......williams will probably know one way or the other very shortly. only holdup could be this NIL stuff.

Nebraska needs players who are play-makers. That's why Jaz Shelley seems like an important returnee. Hope NU can find someone to replace the impact of Sam Haiby and Isabelle Bourne, they were both willing playmakers for the Big Red. Gotta get even more capable, reliable, & impactful ballers in the fold. GBR

9 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Lexi Donarski would be a great addition to NU. 

Agree 100%.   She and the Kendall's would give us a solid core at the '3' position.  I still have concern for the '4 - 5' positions.  We have Markowski, Stewart, part-time Mendelson, and incoming Potts and Petrie.  We could really use one more experienced 'big' from the portal, to shore things up.

Hey all, if NU WBB had any players who were planning to leave the team and enter the portal, do you think they would have declared so by now? In other words, do you think at this point we are safe and every young lady on the roster this season will be returning for NU next season?  (I’m still clinging to hope that Jaz will return for one more season. Clinging to that hope like a life raft on a stormy sea)

18 minutes ago, Neb Nets said:

Hey all, if NU WBB had any players who were planning to leave the team and enter the portal, do you think they would have declared so by now? In other words, do you think at this point we are safe and every young lady on the roster this season will be returning for NU next season?  (I’m still clinging to hope that Jaz will return for one more season. Clinging to that hope like a life raft on a stormy sea)

No, I don’t believe it is safe yet.  That said, you would think any player would want their name in the pool sooner rather than later.

I think the portal window closes on May 11 so there is plenty of time for players to continue to mull their options.  There are lots of factors for any player to consider - especially needs that are created at other schools when their players transfer out.  For example, a budding point guard might think, for myriad reasons, that the U of ArkanSota would be a great place for her, but notices that there are two experienced PGs already there so is discouraged.  Then one of those transfers out thereby rekindling her interest.  I don't think we are "safe" until May 12. This is a crazy player recruitment and retention world. 

We need to use the transfer portal to get some much needed help.  The B1G is going to continue to be strong and Clark has another year so Iowa will be great. Holmes is returning to Indiana and Ohio St will be loaded.  Surely, our staff sees the need for top level talent. And don’t call me Shirley!!

11 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

We need to use the transfer portal to get some much needed help.  The B1G is going to continue to be strong and Clark has another year so Iowa will be great. Holmes is returning to Indiana and Ohio St will be loaded.  Surely, our staff sees the need for top level talent. And don’t call me Shirley!!

Just read Jacy Sheldon will be back for a 5th year at Ohio State. 

On 3/27/2023 at 8:57 PM, Redhac said:

Sorry I messed up my chart by one on Saturday when I put it out there as understated needs by one.  We will have to hope for Shelly staying,   and wish the best for Izzy.   If Shelley does not stay we will need 4 to get to 15.  

Hopes were answered with Shelley staying.  Now we would need 3 to get to 15.  But getting to 15 might involve a serious problem down the road. If everyone eligible to stay after next year actually stays, and if our imports have more than one year of eligibility left, then Shelley would be the only loss next year. And that would leave only one scholarship available for an incoming freshman in 24-25 and set us up for a massive exodus of this past season's sophomore class.  Oh the complications of roster management in the portal era!   

With Shelley staying, perhaps the best portal option would a be a rebounder and the best player at any position we can find and leave another scholarship available for next years recruiting class. 

50 minutes ago, Tom Jones said:

Hopes were answered with Shelley staying.  Now we would need 3 to get to 15.  But getting to 15 might involve a serious problem down the road. If everyone eligible to stay after next year actually stays, and if our imports have more than one year of eligibility left, then Shelley would be the only loss next year. And that would leave only one scholarship available for an incoming freshman in 24-25 and set us up for a massive exodus of this past season's sophomore class.  Oh the complications of roster management in the portal era!   

With Shelley staying, perhaps the best portal option would a be a rebounder and the best player at any position we can find and leave another scholarship available for next years recruiting class. 

I wish we would get back to a preferred walk-on or two on the roster.  If they work out (like a Whitney Brown), an open scholarship could be used, on a semester basis. Allows a little flexibility with the roster.  Sure beats this year, two schollies sitting idle. 

The more I think about it....we really need players at all positions.

Jazz leaves next year so need a point guard to develop, we don't have a lot of 4's. Need to prepare for future years by roster management.  Back ups that can take over for injuries, graduations, etc etc.  Some spots more than others. You can go down the line. 

Every team has the same issues, but some manage it better than others. Recruiting is bigger than ever before. Must improve the skill sets of newbies recruited.