KANSAS GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Matt Coatney mentioned that Sam Haiby stayed in Lincoln and did not make the trip.  I'm a little surprised at that;  since she is one of the spark-plugs of the team, I'd think that I'd want Sam to be there just to encourage the rest of the team (I believe I saw Alison Weidner there), particularly since it could be (indeed was) the final game of the year in Sam's last season.

11 minutes ago, Red Don said:

Matt Coatney mentioned that Sam Haiby stayed in Lincoln and did not make the trip.  I'm a little surprised at that;  since she is one of the spark-plugs of the team, I'd think that I'd want Sam to be there just to encourage the rest of the team (I believe I saw Alison Weidner there), particularly since it could be (indeed was) the final game of the year in Sam's last season.

Likely a recommendation from te medical team.

Final record: 18-15 

So why does it feel so much like a losing season to me? 😕 Back in November, if you had told me this season would end with NU getting beaten in the 3rd round of the WNIT, I would not have considered that to be a successful season worth celebrating. Yes, Allison’s injury was a gut punch and it affected the team’s play the rest of the year. But still…

If Coach Amy makes absolutely no changes in this offseason, no changes in her coaching style, her offensive/defensive philosophy, her recruiting approach or changes to her assistant coaching staff, then we can expect next year to go no better than .500 — .600 winning percentage. (And perhaps a sub .500 conference record again) After 7 seasons, what reason do we have to believe that Amy will deliver anything different next year if she makes zero changes or adjustments this offseason? 

AM played like she was intimidated past the game really wasn't even close.  They could get to the rim off the bounce at will.  We still do not believe in helping with the dribble penetration.  Their coaching is what kept us in the game.  They tried to get cutesy with their offense rather than finishing at the rack every time.  The real bright spot was KM. I thought she played real well in her first start.

I thought at the end of the third quarter we might make a comeback.  Was not able to follow the game completely but it appeared their big girl caused lots of problems.  Maybe Moriarity gained some confidence that she can be a key contributor next season.  Someone has to step up.  Not the season we hoped for and time to look ahead.

6 hours ago, caveman said:

AM played like she was intimidated past the game really wasn't even close.  They could get to the rim off the bounce at will.  We still do not believe in helping with the dribble penetration.  Their coaching is what kept us in the game.  They tried to get cutesy with their offense rather than finishing at the rack every time.  The real bright spot was KM. I thought she played real well in her first start.

I thought both Kendal's played well. Mendelson too.  They might not be as polished, but they seemed to play aggressive, with a type of 'energetic abandon'?  It was fun to watch.  Even Hake showed a bit of that.

2 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

3730 butts in the stands, and half were Huskers. WTF WNIT?

https://huskers.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2022-23/kansas/boxscore/22192

And we had 6,478 attendance @ PBA for our prior WNIT game vs Northern Iowa. It would be interesting to know if the game was in Kansas because they out-bid us to host the game, or if it was for some other reason :Confused:

22 hours ago, Red Don said:

And we had 6,478 attendance @ PBA for our prior WNIT game vs Northern Iowa. It would be interesting to know if the game was in Kansas because they out-bid us to host the game, or if it was for some other reason :Confused:

I'd assume it was money. . . certainly wasn't due to KU's underwhelming 'fan support.'

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2023 at 6:00 PM, Red Don said:

don't know this for a fact, but, i heard it was because they had a better NET rating. just seems kind of odd USD and SDSU had home games throughout. never searched the reason why.

17 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

don't know this for a fact, but, i heard it was because they had a better NET rating. just seems kind of odd USD and SDSU had home games throughout. never searched the reason why.

Kansas had that one really bad game against cellar dweller TCU that probably kept them out of the NCAA.  

24 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

We'll probably never get a definitive answer, But when ESPN interviewed the Kansas Coach just after the conclusion of the Washington game the ESPN announcer said that the next  (i.e. final game) would also be @ the "Phog." The Kansas coach appeared not to know this (i.e. he was surprised; It was news to him), but he  immediately credited KU Admin, for their support.