NORTHERN IOWA GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

I was at the game and it was great.  One interesting lineup that we had towards the end of the first qtr was Maggie,Issie,Sam, Kendall M. and Jaz.  They played together for about 5 minutes and went on an 8-0 run.  Then Sam got hurt.  Looked to me on replay it was either a high ankle sprain or possibly an achilles injury.  The rest of the team really stepped up.  These are good minutes for the younger girls as we advance and continue to practice.  Looks like Kendall M. will be starting going forward.  Great opportunity for her.  Teams keep getting tougher.  The most reliable player on our team right now is Issie.  She is playing by far her best basketball this season.

Was at the game also and pretty much would echo what HUD said.  Team really stepped up when Sam went down.  Really liked the effort from the guards going forward from that and particularly thought Kendal M. really had a nice game.  Issie really asserting herself in the WNIT and showing she loves to "ball."  Execution was quite good in that they kept the turnovers way down.  Could be a NU v. KU rematch as the Hawks are at home for their game tomorrow night.  We'll see how that one turns out.  Down to 16 and we're still playing- and maybe at home again thanks to the crowd support!!  GBR!! 🏀🌽

want to echo all the positive comments on this game.  14 and 15 really played well with the opportunity that came their way when Sam went down. Unless we can find a faith healer or some other miracle occurs to make Sam available, one of them is going to start the next game and both of them are going to play more minutes.  Something else ... I paid attention to AW during the warm ups and entrances to and exits from the court. She is not wearing a brace and (tho i know it isn't running or cutting) she is moving smoothly.  and another something else -  (gonna give this dead horse one more whack here) Sam's injury only brings into sharper focus and under a more intense light the problem of having four non-productive scholarships. The portal is open and every time a tourney team loses more players are able to enter it.  Another Krull or Cravens please. 

1 minute ago, HUD said:

Or another Jaz Shelley!

Nope, don’t need another one cuz the original Jaz Shelley is returning for next season. Yep, that’s just how it’s gotta be. I can’t entertain any other possibilities other than Jaz playing b-ball for Nebraska next year. So, therefore, she’s staying. 

Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt, friends….

Part of if issie or Jaz come back for a covid year could be determined by how far we go in the WNIT. If they go on to win maybe they both feel great way to leave the program, on a high note. Lose the next game and maybe it is unfinished business. It also could already be decided by both of them and the WNIT does not matter.

17 hours ago, Neb Nets said:

A good win. The season is extended. 

My thoughts are with Sam. Suppose the program will disclose the exact nature of her injury, or nah? 

i had to watch the game on replay. it looked like the trainer, or whoever, was feeling the back of her calf. i am wondering if it might be achilles related or maybe tore a muscle? unfortunately, we may have seen the last of Sam. what a career as a husker! Thank you, Sam🙂