How close were we? = How close are we?

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Lemme ask you a question about NIL.

I understand Trev and the coaches can't be involved in decisions about how to spend the NIL money.

BUT can Trev do anything to recruit donors? Can he, for instance, call up Howard Hawks and say "thanks for your commitment to NU football. I know you like Creighton hoops, but it really helps our football program if we're perceived as having generally successful programs across all sports, so please allocate some of your wealth to our hoops program, too"?

Or does the NIL thing have to be completely and totally separate from the AD?

Also, does anyone know who's kicking in the money to Creighton's NIL program and whether they're donating to ours also or just to theirs?

Of course some contributing to Creighton's NIL also contribute to UNL's.   That's what Omaha money does.  Yes, people out and about know who many of the donors are to Creighton NIL.  Word of mouth travels in those circles.  That's how I know how much Walker was paid, and a few of the donors who got it there.   Note, with various collectives around the country, the requirement of disclosing donors depends on the corporate structure of the collective.   Some are actually set up as 501(c)(3)'s, which have certain donor disclosure requirements.  Big Red Collaborative was set up that way.  1890 and Athlete Impact Management were not.  

Trev can't directly solicit NIL funds.   What he says in private conversations is at his risk; people do that stuff all the time.  Obviously there are careful and veiled conversations happening.  I can tell you that in the early NIL meetings for Nebraska, Fred attended as a meet and greet, and then left before any actual NIL soliciting took place.  This is the wild west, and evolving, but yes, there still needs to be separation between the athletic department and coaches and NIL.  

Did anyone ever hear anything on these potential big portal pickups? Man, need some good news to chew on while I probably have to suffer for the next week+ (come on SDSU!).

Let me throw out my own "not even in your wildest dreams" scenario lol. We get Jack Nunge. He decides he's done what he can at Xavier and to make his wife happy they move to Lincoln for a year so she can watch her sister- Kennedi Orr. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2023 at 8:10 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Here's a hint:

PG Verygood Playa

SG Keisei Tominaga

SG Jamarques Lawrence

SG Ramel Lloyd or PF Juwan Gary

C Imma Dunkonyu

For anyone who hadn't figured it out by now, the PG we were all talking about was Chucky.

I can't tell you how I heard what I heard, but I can say it was more than just idle gossip or manufactured rumor. There was legitimate smoke to the rumors. But then Wisconsin made a run in the NIT and things must have changed, so that didn't pan out. But that's who probably a bunch of us were thinking would be our starting PG next year and we had good reason to think that way.

And as I write this, there's still a name out there (not a PG) who could potentially be a difference maker and we still have a spot, so ... stay tuned.

33 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

For anyone who hadn't figured it out by now, the PG we were all talking about was Chucky.

I can't tell you how I heard what I heard, but I can say it was more than just idle gossip or manufactured rumor. There was legitimate smoke to the rumors. But then Wisconsin made a run in the NIT and things must have changed, so that didn't pan out. But that's who probably a bunch of us were thinking would be our starting PG next year and we had good reason to think that way.

And as I write this, there's still a name out there (not a PG) who could potentially be a difference maker and we still have a spot, so ... stay tuned.

Would this person theoretically fit in the "C Imma Dunkonyu" spot even though they're not a traditional center? 

Also - you were not wrong or receiving bad information on Chucky. There was legit smoke there for an extended period of time. Not sure what changed. 

16 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Would this person theoretically fit in the "C Imma Dunkonyu" spot even though they're not a traditional center? 

Also - you were not wrong or receiving bad information on Chucky. There was legit smoke there for an extended period of time. Not sure what changed. 

Heh heh

57 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

So you’ve hinted this a couple times. What is the connection besides Sam?

20 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

If he had another year I’d be more hopeful. Assumed there was another connection as you seemed pretty positive about him.

How do you mean? He will only be a junior, eligibility-wise. But, if he has a good year next year (hopefully for us) he's almost certain to bolt for the bigs. That's not a bad thing.

20 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

How do you mean? He will only be a junior, eligibility-wise. But, if he has a good year next year (hopefully for us) he's almost certain to bolt for the bigs. That's not a bad thing.

I meant if Sam G had another year to play we would have a better shot with Nelson. It was hinted we have a connection with Nelson, just curious what that is besides Sam G.