23-24 Roster (updated)

54 minutes ago, NoladrianSephier said:

If we don't spend the entire offseason working on ways to give Keisei a chance to average 25 ppg I'll be disappointed for both what could make us successful and make those games darn fun to watch. The only person that should keep Keisei from being in the mix of the league's top scorers is himself.

I hope not. I am hoping we see more of a balance attack like Fred had at ISU. I think KT, Lawrence, Williams, Gary, and Mast could all average double figures. Lloyd is also a wildcard

30 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

For all we know he's going to lead the team in scoring next season

Ramel has the tools to be successful. How good he is depends on him. The sky is the limit. He's extremely skilled and he's got great length to go with it. Of course, we need to keep in mind that he's just a freshman. There will be growing pains. And while we have a window into what his offensive skills look like, we have no idea how well he holds up on the defensive end. But I'm glad we have him. He might not be the leading scorer but I think he's poised to have an impact, which is all you can really ask for from a freshman.

Assuming Allick signs with us, I like the overall intangibles that this transfer class brings with them.  Transfers often come with some baggage, expectations, and personal goals that don't show up in their stat lines.  We've certainly seen that ourselves in years past while getting burned by guys that made the team worse despite being an individual talent.  In contrast, last year's transfer additions were great culture guys.  They were leaders.  And it appears that this year's crop is built from that same mold.

Williams: leading scorer that was willing to come off the bench rather than take the notoriety of being a starter.  Our Manu Ginobili.  

Allick: By all accounts is one of the real good guys in the portal.  Great family.  Hard worker who has gotten every ounce of success possible out of the amount of talent he was given.

Ulis: One of the few Iowa players in recent memory that was actually likeable.  Plays with hustle and grit.  Smart.

Mast: Admittedly I didn't watch any Bradley games over the past few seasons.  But the quotes he gave about his reasons for entering the portal, and his coach's comments about him, reflect positively on his character.  I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, particularly when the other additions all appear to have been made with their locker room impact in mind.

Edited by aphilso1

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

Assuming Allick signs with us, I like the overall intangibles that this transfer class brings with them.  Transfers often come with some baggage, expectations, and personal goals that don't show up in their stat lines.  We've certainly seen that ourselves in years past while getting burned by guys that made the team worse despite being an individual talent.  In contrast, last year's transfer additions were great culture guys.  They were leaders.  And it appears that this year's crop is built from that same mold.

Williams: leading scorer that was willing to come off the bench rather than take the notoriety of being a starter.  Our Manu Ginobili.  

Allick: By all accounts is one of the real good guys in the portal.  Great family.  Hard worker who has gotten every ounce of success possible out of the amount of talent he was given.

Ulis: One of the few Iowa players in recent memory that was actually likeable.  Plays with hustle and grit.  Smart.

Mast: Admittedly I didn't watch any Bradley games over the past few seasons.  But the quotes he gave about his reasons for entering the portal, and his coach's comments about him, reflect positively on his character.  I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, particularly when the other additions all appear to have been made with their locker room impact in mind.

This off-season has been a home run already. If we get Allick also, it's a walk-off.

I checked Torvick's site and, without Allick, he had us at #46. WITH Allick (I tested using his "funalytics" function) we bumped up to #42.

I'm just going to lay this out here and not trying to slight anyone:

Starters:

PG Ulis, 6'3 Jr

SG Tominaga, 6'2 Sr

SG Williams, 6'7 Jr

PF Allick, 6'8 Sr

C Mast, 6'9 Jr

Bench:

SG Lawrence, 6'3 So

PF Gary, 6'6 Jr

SG Lloyd, 6'6 Fr

PF/C Breidenbach, 6'10 So

Edited by Norm Peterson

Gary and Allick will probably be in a pitched battle for the 4-spot. I give a slight nod to the Lincoln kid.

CJ, Ramel and Lawrence fighting over that 6th man guard spot. Whoever is the best option at point probably wins that one.

OR we could bring Lawrence into the starting lineup, bump Williams to the 4 and go a bit smaller.

To me Allick was the final piece to the puzzle this off-season.  We have a very solid 8 man rotation.  Wilcher and Breidenbach are going to have to elevate their game this off-season if they want to crack the rotation.  Sam Hoiberg may not have much opportunity barring injury.  He’ll be a great insurance guy.

14 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I checked Torvick's site and, without Allick, he had us at #46. WITH Allick (I tested using his "funalytics" function) we bumped up to #42.

Starters:

PG Ulis, 6'3 Jr

SG Tominaga, 6'2 Sr

SG Williams, 6'7 Jr

PF Allick, 6'8 Sr

C Mast, 6'9 Jr

Bench:

SG Lawrence, 6'3 So

PF Gary, 6'6 Jr

SG Lloyd, 6'6 Fr

giphy.gif

14 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Starters:

PG Ulis, 6'3 Jr

SG Tominaga, 6'2 Sr

SG Williams, 6'7 Jr

PF Allick, 6'8 Sr

C Mast, 6'9 Jr

Bench:

SG Lawrence, 6'3 So

PF Gary, 6'6 Jr

SG Lloyd, 6'6 Fr

I'm a huge fan of Allick, but he's not starting of Gary

This feels like a complete roster.  I don't see any proven players in the mold of a Petteway or JPIII or BMac (maybe Lloyd will be but that is to be determined), but this looks like a roster that should be able to move the ball, shoot, and defend.  And I see a stout nine man rotation, with capable players on the outside of that rotation.

5-man backcourt rotation: Ulis, Tominaga, Williams, Lawrence, and Lloyd. 

Hoiberg, Wilcher, and Rice adding depth.

4-man frontcourt rotation: Keita, Mast, Gary, and Allick. 

Wilhelm providing depth.

With four quality players to man the 4/5, I think we will see a more traditional "positional basketball" mentality.  And I don't think we will be abused on the boards this year. 

16 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I can't see Gary getting bumped but who knows. Neither shoots the 3 well, but Gary can guard all 5 spots.

I wanna see the Nebrasketball Line-up of Death:

1. Lawrence

2. KT

3. Lloyd
4. Williams

5. Gary

#letitfly

Gary's high-water mark was last year when he shot 26% on 57 attempts from beyond the arc and 62% from the line.

Allick's high-water mark was his junior year at UMKC when he shot 36% on 36 attempts from beyond the arc and 75% from the line. Combine his sophomore and junior years at UMKC and he was a combined 29 of 81 for 35.8% before slumping last season.

According to Torvik's stats, Gary was 65.5% at the rim and 34.4% on other 2-pointers for us last year.

Allick was 70.3% at the rim and 42.9% on other 2-pointers last year at New Mexico.

Even with a bad year from downtown, Allick's EFG last year was about 10 pts higher than Gary's.

Their rebounding numbers are very similar. Gary is *slightly* better on defensive rebounding and Allick slightly better on the offensive side.

Allick was a full-time starter logging 32 minutes/game on a New Mexico team that was 35-40 spots better than us depending on whose computer you're going by.

I agree Gary can guard all 5 spots. Allick is longer.

It'll be an interesting battle.

31 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

This feels like a complete roster.  I don't see any proven players in the mold of a Petteway or JPIII or BMac (maybe Lloyd will be but that is to be determined), but this looks like a roster that should be able to move the ball, shoot, and defend.  And I see a stout nine man rotation, with capable players on the outside of that rotation.

5-man backcourt rotation: Ulis, Tominaga, Williams, Lawrence, and Lloyd. 

Hoiberg, Wilcher, and Rice adding depth.

4-man frontcourt rotation: Keita, Mast, Gary, and Allick. 

Wilhelm providing depth.

With four quality players to man the 4/5, I think we will see a more traditional "positional basketball" mentality.  And I don't think we will be abused on the boards this year. 

I'm going to bet on Wilhelm's development over Blaise's ankles/knees/etc.

3 minutes ago, 49r said:

Counter-point:

Gary's stats were racked up against SEC and Big Ten level competition

Allick's were against WAC, Summit League and MWC.

And, in fairness, Gary was also battling a shoulder problem all season until he finally went down against ... Illinois?

It'll be interesting to see 1) how well Gary recovers following surgery; and 2) if he does recover completely, how much better of a player he is.

Also, Josiah Allick had post-season surgery on his ankle. So ...

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

And, in fairness, Gary was also battling a shoulder problem all season until he finally went down against ... Illinois?

It'll be interesting to see 1) how well Gary recovers following surgery; and 2) if he does recover completely, how much better of a player he is.

Also, Josiah Allick had post-season surgery on his ankle. So ...

Yep.  But I agree it will be interesting to see how the playing time shakes out.  I'm sure Fred will enjoy the flexibility this will afford.  Will also help game plan for different matchups.