Jr. Ahron Ulis

So. Wilhelm Breidenbach

So. Denim Dawson

So. Oleg Kojenets

So. Jamarques Lawrence

So. Quaran McPherson

Fr. Ramel Lloyd

Fr. Eli Rice

Just to kind of have a visual. I'll keep this updated as changes occur.

* I'm listing Juwan and CJ as being in the same class because they've played the same number of seasons and both have a transfer.

** Wilhelm getting a medical redshirt seems like a foregone conclusion so I'm listing him as a So. If someone can explain why that's wrong, I can move him to the junior class.

*** Obviously, this is scholarship players only. We don't have to keep track of the number of walk-ons.

**** Underlined means new to the roster; lined-through means they entered the portal.

Edited by Norm Peterson

Could start on an NCAA tournament caliber Husker team:

Keisei Tominaga

Jamarques Lawrence

Ramel Lloyd

Juwan Gary

Could be a rotation player on an NCAA tournament caliber Husker team:

CJ Wilcher

Wilhelm Breidenbach

Blaise Keita

Would not likely contribute on an NCAA tournament caliber Husker team:

Oleg Kojenets

Denim Dawson

Quaran McPherson

Not sure where to put Eli Rice. Unlikely to contribute on an NCAA tourney team as a freshman but looks like a player who could develop nicely down the road.

The four guys listed as capable of starting might not start together. If Juwan Gary started on a Husker NCAA team, for example, it would likely be because Keisei moved on and we added a PG through the portal. But with the right combo of component parts, I personally think each of those guys would be good enough to start for a team that could theoretically reach the dance. It's just a matter of who we get to fill in around them, which might knock one or two of them into the rotation player level.

This is just a visual for me to kind of see where I think we need to upgrade the talent in order to do what Northwestern did this year.

Edited by Norm Peterson

My rotation, as of now. Will change significantly as more guys leave and we start to add from the portal.

Starters:

G - Ramel Lloyd  6'6"

G - Keisei Tominaga  6'2"

G - Jamarques Lawrence  6'3"

F - Juwan Gary  6'6"

C - Blaise Keita  6'11"

Bench rotation players:

G - Quaran McPherson  6'3"

G - Sam Hoiberg  6'0"

G - CJ Wilcher  6'5"

F - Wilhelm Breidenbach  6'10"

Spot/situational minutes:

G- Cale Jacobson  6'4"

F - Eli Rice  6'7"

Based on the above, what I think we need:

PG (I have someone specific in mind)

I think we have enough SGs to be successful, but I wouldn't turn down an athlete who can light it up, if one happens to want to come here.

Big, and maybe two.

Juwan Gary has durability issues and isn't the shooter I'd like to see at his spot. How about the Mack kid from Wofford? Is he athletic enough to play the Hoiberg Stretch 4 role? He certainly can shoot it well enough.

And I would *really* like to see us land an athletic big man like a Julian Reese-type player: long, athletic, skilled. Yeah, they're about as rare as unicorns, but if one happens to pop up on our radar, that's one guy I hope we could land.

55 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Could start on an NCAA tournament caliber Husker team:

Keisei Tominaga

Jamarques Lawrence

Ramel Lloyd

Juwan Gary

Could be a rotation player on an NCAA tournament caliber Husker team:

CJ Wilcher

Wilhelm Breidenbach

Blaise Keita

Would not likely contribute on an NCAA tournament caliber Husker team:

Oleg Kojenets

Denim Dawson

Quaran McPherson

Not sure where to put Eli Rice. Unlikely to contribute on an NCAA tourney team as a freshman but looks like a player who could develop nicely down the road.

The four guys listed as capable of starting might not start together. If Juwan Gary started on a Husker NCAA team, for example, it would likely be because Keisei moved on and we added a PG though the portal. But with the right combo of component parts, I personally think each of those guys would be good enough to start for a team that could theoretically reach the dance. It's just a matter of who we get to fill in around them, which might knock one or two of them into the rotation player level.

This is just a visual for me to kind of see where I think we need to upgrade the talent in order to do what Northwestern did this year.

If QM is in that last category, I would think his name will be in the portal soon.  He is definitely an unknown for me as I have not seen him play.  Not doubting your evaluation but are you basing this on his injuries or something else?

7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

** Wilhelm getting a medical redshirt seems like a foregone conclusion so I'm listing him as a So. If someone can explain why that's wrong, I can move him to the junior class.

There is no point in listing him a year back at this point, especially when the medical is in question

• 4 weeks later...

I hope Quaran sticks around.  I liked his high school tapes and he has since gotten bigger and stronger.  We'd heard good things about him before his latest injury.

The issue, certainly availability and injury history.

Here is the deal though.  If Fred had told him that he no longer was in our plans; wouldn't he have already said goodbye?  I would think so.  

And please correct me if I am wrong; but a player cannot "shop around" without entering the portal, correct?  Otherwise it could be construed as tampering. 

Roster construction is critical and Fred is really going to have to thread the needle on this year's portal class.

Nebraska's best returning players are:

Keisei -6/2" SG (assuming he returns)

Lawrence - 6'3" SG

Gary - 6'6" PF

This is not an ideal roster construction.  And it is a bit odd that the staff is recruiting so many guards considering our two best returning players are SG.  We definitely need a PG, but if the PG is 6'5" or shorter, this already complicates the lineup for next season.  This seems to be compounded with Nebraska recruiting multiple players who are 6'5" or shorter and who seem to be more SG than PG. 

As good as Bando was for the team last year as a defender and leader, it seems hard to argue the team was a better with Keisei and Lawrence taking his minutes.  Bando came to Nebraska as a career 35% from 3, yet struggled in the B1G and shot about 26%.  Would Sallis be any different.  And there has been talk of Sallis and Wrightsell possibly being a package deal.  This would be yet another smaller guard who really isn't a true PG, and even if he is, how does that roster work?  If NU were to sign Sallis and Wrightsell, who would start and/or play significant minutes out of Keisei, Lawrence, Sallis, Wrightsell, (and this doesn't even include McPherson, Hoiberg or Cale).  You can't play all 4 at once, and it would be a real stretch to even play 3 at one time, especially if your PF (Gary) is 6'6". 

I am more interested in players like Williams who have legitimate SF size.  Rice (6'7") would also fit this bill, but he will just be a true freshman.  And obviously, Lloyd is the wildcard.  If Lloyd could play PG, that largely evens out the roster (must like Griesel did) because Ramel could guard the opposing SF, allowing the smaller guards to guard the PG and SG.  But Lloyd is an unproven freshman. 

11 hours ago, 75unlgrad said:

Am I wrong to hope that Blaise Keita and Wilhelm Breidenbach will have an injury-free spring, summer and fall to improve their skill level, get bigger, and develop into reliable 'bigs' for us???  

Injury free or not, I think one has it in them, and I think one doesn't. 

Edited by basketballjones

On 3/18/2023 at 2:32 PM, millerhusker said:

My rotation, as of now. Will change significantly as more guys leave and we start to add from the portal.

Starters:

G - Ramel Lloyd  6'6"

G - Keisei Tominaga  6'2"

G - Jamarques Lawrence  6'3"

F - Juwan Gary  6'6"

C - Blaise Keita  6'11"

Bench rotation players:

G - Quaran McPherson  6'3"

G - Sam Hoiberg  6'0"

G - CJ Wilcher  6'5"

F - Wilhelm Breidenbach  6'10"

Spot/situational minutes:

G- Cale Jacobson  6'4"

F - Eli Rice  6'7"

Time to update?

Or wait till the final pieces shake out?

This could be a bit of a wild ride. So far, we've only lost players to natural attrition (a/k/a graduation) or from the bottom of the roster. That's a trend I expect to continue.

So, as of right now, our next year's stable of shooting guards/wings looks like:

Keisei Tominaga

Jamarques Lawrence

CJ Wilcher

Sam Hoiberg

Ramel Lloyd

Brice Williams

The returning guys are pretty good, but it's entirely possible the two best players on this list have YET to play in a Husker uniform.

Frontcourt looks like:

Wilhelm Breidenbach

Blaise Keita

Juwan Gary

Rienk Mast

Eli Rice

Rice might be a wing. Might be a stretch-4 in the Hoiberg system. I'm putting him with this group just cuz. I don't think this is all the additions to this group. Not *expecting* subtractions, but that could change when current guys see who we're adding and then do math. And, again, possible the best players in this group haven't donned a Husker uni yet.

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Time to update?

This could be a bit of a wild ride. So far, we've only lost players to natural attrition (a/k/a graduation) or from the bottom of the roster. That's a trend I expect to continue.

So, as of right now, our next year's stable of shooting guards/wings looks like:

Keisei Tominaga

Jamarques Lawrence

CJ Wilcher

Sam Hoiberg

Ramel Lloyd

Brice Williams

The returning guys are pretty good, but it's entirely possible the two best players on this list have YET to play in a Husker uniform.

Frontcourt looks like:

Wilhelm Breidenbach

Blaise Keita

Juwan Gary

Rienk Mast

Eli Rice

Rice might be a wing. Might be a stretch-4 in the Hoiberg system. I'm putting him with this group just cuz. I don't think this is all the additions to this group. Not *expecting* subtractions, but that could change when current guys see who we're adding and then do math. And, again, possible the best players in this group haven't donned a Husker uni yet.

The only player not capable of playing in the "five out" or open post offense is Blaise.  Sort of the same as this past year.

Last year's 2-guards/wings:

Bando, Keisei, CJ, Denim, Jamarques, Sam

Next year's 2-guards/wings:

Keisei, CJ, Jamarques, Sam, Ramel, Brice

Last year's group was nearly good enough to make the NIT. Nearly. We were probably two wins short of a post-season appearance. I doubt there's too many people with more than a few brain cells to rub together who would rank last year's group over this coming year's group.

We've added a big. Will probably add another. And then we just need to find someone to replace Sam Griesel.

I'm feeling a better roster coming together. I'm feeling it.

Ramel is a point guard.  Born and bred to do so.  But yeah, he certainly has the body of an off guard or wing.  Sort of like Sam G. So right now we have Ramel and Quaron as our two point guards.  One more would be good.

http://naturalstatesports.com/mbb-recruiting-getting-to-know-ramel-lloyd-jr/

Edited by Huskerpapa

19 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Time to update?

Keisei Tominaga

Jamarques Lawrence

CJ Wilcher

Sam Hoiberg

Ramel Lloyd

Brice Williams

Frontcourt looks like:

Wilhelm Breidenbach

Blaise Keita

Juwan Gary

Rienk Mast

Eli Rice

Going to wait a bit to see what happens. As it stands right now, I think my only guaranteed starters would be Mast and Keisei (if he comes back). Think we should have a good idea of what the rest of the roster will look like in the next couple weeks. 

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

Ramel is a point guard.  Born and bred to do so.  But yeah, he certainly has the body of an off guard or wing.  Sort of like Sam G. So right now we have Ramel and Quaron as our two point guards.  One more would be good.

http://naturalstatesports.com/mbb-recruiting-getting-to-know-ramel-lloyd-jr/

Last year what we were missing was ball handlers....Griesel did a lot of things well but his handles were a weakness.

Really what we need out of Ramel and anyone else we have handling the ball is the ability to bring the ball up the court and not turn it over. 

I think Ramel is probably more of a combo guard but given we don't want the ball to stick I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Last year what we were missing was ball handlers....Griesel did a lot of things well but his handles were a weakness.

Really what we need out of Ramel and anyone else we have handling the ball is the ability to bring the ball up the court and not turn it over. 

I think Ramel is probably more of a combo guard but given we don't want the ball to stick I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.

I think Ramel has a nice post game or a pg think he is the future there if he sticks it out. He has really developed his body