23-24 Roster (updated)

1 hour ago, Vinny said:

Counter argument to the bold:

We might have won more than 16 if it weren’t for injuries, and thank god we had the depth to avoid being a 10 win team. We got the bottom half of our rotation some great experience, they showed a lot more than expected and should come back even better this year.

I don't think we were going to. I think we were going to lose a lot of games 58-53 and be doing more of the (well, we did this anyways), "omg we're so close!"

This isn't necessarily a starting lineup or rotation prediction. Just wanted to kind of compare the roles/rotation of our last 8 regular season games to what it could look like next year. During that stretch, we went 6-2 with three wins over NCAA tournament teams and 2 over NIT teams. 

Lead guard – Sam Griesel > Ahron Ulis

• Sam is going down as an all-time fan favorite and for good reason. He did have his flaws at the position. If he were Iowa’s starting pg last year, his numbers wouldn’t have been as impressive. Ulis fits better with Nebraska than he did with Iowa. He might actually be the only likeable player in Iowa basketball history.

Guard – Keisei Tominaga < himself next year

• I don’t expect him to average 20 ppg like he did the last however many games. But I do think he can average 15-17 over the course of a season. And he will definitely have the same gravity and demand the same attention he did from defenses during his hot streak.

Guard – Jamarques Lawrence < himself next year

• Huge fan of Lawrence. I think very highly of his game. He will again benefit from having a point guard who is pass first. I don’t think he would’ve fit well with Wrightsell.

Wing – CJ Wilcher << Brice Williams

Post – Derrick Walker > Rienk Mast

• Mast is solid, though.

Bench:

Backup guard – Sam Hoiberg < Ramel Lloyd

• I think.  And if Ramel is good enough to earn a starting spot, that’d be great. He's undoubtedly a better player than Sam. Sam just kind of did everything correct on both ends of the court. That's important. The good news is, if there are talented guards in the rotation who aren't doing things the right way... we still have Sam. 

Wing forward – Denim Dawson << Juwan Gary

• Same exact player archetype. Juwan is just better in every aspect.

Backup 5/occasional 4 – Wilhelm Breidenbach << Josiah Allick

• This would really be a big deal.

Post depth – Blaise Keita/Oleg Kojenets < Blaise Keita/Wilhelm Breidenbach 

-           

More guard and wing depth with Hoiberg, CJ, Rice, Jacobson

42 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Post – Derrick Walker > Rienk Mast

• Mast is solid, though.

This is going to sound sacrilegious, BUT ...

Our final Kenpom ranking last year was #94; Bradley's was #90.

So, two roughly equal teams in terms of quality.

We lost Derrick to graduation, who was certainly ONE of our THREE best players last year.

In his place, we got Bradley's BEST guy.

He'll be different than Derrick. Some of the things he'll do won't be as good; some of them will be better.

For instance, the new guy is a legit 3-point threat.

Which might open the door for more Juwan Gary at the 4. Or maybe a fully healthy, rehabbed Wilhelm.

Maybe he won't be quite as good as Derrick. But I'm not sure it's more than just a marginal backslide.

All kidding aside, just like last years roster at this time, we might have TOO many good players.

PG - Lloyd/Ulis 

Wing - Tominaga/Williams/Lawrence 

Post - Mast 

Bench - Wilcher, Gary, WB, Rice, Hoiberg, Blaise 

Let’s see what these last two spots might hold, but it’s a deep, versatile squad with lots of interchangeable parts & guys who can actually SHOOT. I don’t see any reason why we can’t improve on that .500 record. 

9 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

All kidding aside, just like last years roster at this time, we might have TOO many good players.

PG - Lloyd/Ulis 

Wing - Tominaga/Williams/Lawrence 

Post - Mast 

Bench - Wilcher, Gary, WB, Rice, Hoiberg, Blaise 

Let’s see what these last two spots might hold, but it’s a deep, versatile squad with lots of interchangeable parts & guys who can actually SHOOT. I don’t see any reason why we can’t improve on that .500 record. 

We've only been to the tournament 7 times and never won a game and you making the claim we have TOO many good players???

Allick is next on the board for me. Having him as a flexible big to play the 5 or 4 depending on matchup I love. Also plays really goddam hard.

From there it gets interesting. In theory, they have 3 scholarship guys who can handle the ball, with Jacobsen and Sam hoiberg as guys who could also. Sam has proven himself enough also. So, do they go after Dunlap in what is my opinion a crowded wing room, or get a younger ball handler. Whether that be transfer or freshman.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

We've only been to the tournament 7 times and never won a game and you making the claim we have TOO many good players???

What happened in the past has absolutely no bearing on this current indoctrination or what fortunes this season might hold. 

17 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Look at it this way, Gary & Wilcher both started games for us last year but could very likely be relegated to the bench because we have MORE talented players to take their place. 

And that's a good thing if you can consistently bring in more talented players than you currently have on your rooster.  Just because players like Wilcher started a few games last year and is now coming off the bench, doesn't mean we have to much talent.  It could mean we didn't have enough talented players last year.  I can appreciate what you are trying to say but trust me, we don't have TOO much talent.  We still need to upgrade and get more talented players if we want to make the tournament and compete for conference championships

We went from HOPING Lloyd was ready for the B1G to signing a PG who’s PLAYED in the B1G. We don’t have to HOPE Blaise/Breidenbach can play the 4/5 now that we have Mast. Williams is an upgrade & Keisa/Hoiberg/Lawrence can ONLY be improved by virtue of playing time & experience. PLUS we still have two spots to fill & those players could easily be difference makers too. Not to mention the Veteran presence of Gary, Wilcher & the hidden gem of Ashland’s Casey Jacobsen. 

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

We went from HOPING Lloyd was ready for the B1G to signing a PG who’s PLAYED in the B1G. We don’t have to HOPE Blaise/Breidenbach can play the 4/5 now that we have Mast. Williams is an upgrade & Keisa/Hoiberg/Lawrence can ONLY be improved by virtue of playing time & experience. PLUS we still have two spots to fill & those players could easily be difference makers too. Not to mention the Veteran presence of Gary, Wilcher & the hidden gem of Ashland’s Casey Jacobsen. 

Screw it. I'm jumping on this hype train with Handy. Damn everyone else's logic and reason. Choo Choo MFers! 

Edited by cornfed24-7

20 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Guard – Keisei Tominaga < himself next year

• I don’t expect him to average 20 ppg like he did the last however many games. But I do think he can average 15-17 over the course of a season. And he will definitely have the same gravity and demand the same attention he did from defenses during his hot streak.

If we don't spend the entire offseason working on ways to give Keisei a chance to average 25 ppg I'll be disappointed for both what could make us successful and make those games darn fun to watch. The only person that should keep Keisei from being in the mix of the league's top scorers is himself.

40 minutes ago, NoladrianSephier said:

If we don't spend the entire offseason working on ways to give Keisei a chance to average 25 ppg I'll be disappointed for both what could make us successful and make those games darn fun to watch. The only person that should keep Keisei from being in the mix of the league's top scorers is himself.

Now that Antoine Davis is out of eligibility, if Keisei averages 25 ppg he'll lead the nation in scoring. I'm all for it. 

Edited by millerhusker