Nebraska players come home PLEASE

75unlgrad

I've read comments from subscribers hinting that Hunter Sallis, Chucky Hepburn, and Isaac Traudt are all considering transferring to a new school.  As a die-hard Husker fan, I can't help DREAMING what excitment it would bring to Nebraska basketball if these three players came home to Nebraska.  It would be Sam Griesel X 3.  There are also rumors of a quality 'big' to take Derek Walker's spot.  And we already have Eli Rice signed.  Again, I'm DREAMING, but for the next few weeks I will be checking daily on any news of these players.  I can't help thinking what our team would look like adding these players to next year's team.

Chucky Hepburn (sr) -- point guard

Hunker Sallis (jr) -- shooting guard

Eli Rice (fr) -- small forward

Isaac Traudt (fr) -- power forward

Walker's replacement

Dreams can come true -- can't they??

https://post.futurimedia.com/koznam/playlist/34/listen-13950.html?cb=1679059862.962926
I’m just gonna drop this in here and caution people a bit on Traudt, Hepburn, and Sallis. None of these guys have any fandom to NU aside from growing up here. So when we talking about in-state kids and their “love of the program” (invoking the feelings we assume walk-ons and in state guys have for the NU football team), it’s unfair to lump these guys in that group. I know first hand that Traudt has never been an NU fan and only considered us because he developed a great relationship with FH. And - speaking as someone who lives in Omaha - these Omaha kids don’t give two craps about NU athletics. It’s all creighton or someone else they have decided to like. 

Probably unfair of me to speak for any of those guys, but just wanted to throw that out maybe more as a general statement. 

6 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

https://post.futurimedia.com/koznam/playlist/34/listen-13950.html?cb=1679059862.962926
I’m just gonna drop this in here and caution people a bit on Traudt, Hepburn, and Sallis. None of these guys have any fandom to NU aside from growing up here. So when we talking about in-state kids and their “love of the program” (invoking the feelings we assume walk-ons and in state guys have for the NU football team), it’s unfair to lump these guys in that group. I know first hand that Traudt has never been an NU fan and only considered us because he developed a great relationship with FH. And - speaking as someone who lives in Omaha - these Omaha kids don’t give two craps about NU athletics. It’s all creighton or someone else they have decided to like. 

Probably unfair of me to speak for any of those guys, but just wanted to throw that out maybe more as a general statement. 

So you’re saying there’s a CHANCE…

Yeah.  It seems a bit unnecessary . . .  and unhealthy . . .  to focus strongly on local kids, who may not even be the best available players. 

For example:

• if a strong defending and slashing guard (from somewhere else) is available in the portal, who also shoots 40% from three . . . wouldn't we want him?
  • And if there is a 6'8" point guard (from somewhere else) who can do and improve upon all that Griesel and Banton did . . . wouldn't we want him?
  • And if we can find an efficient scoring and assisting forward with some actual and proven experience (from somewhere else) . . . wouldn't we want him?  

Griesel's home-town background is different from the others: (i) he didn't reject NU out of high school, NU rejected him, and (ii) he really, really wanted to play here.  And things worked out fabulously for both him and NU.

But once they've rejected NU in the beginning . . . it seems a little like that kid who recently rejected us twice--in the same recruiting season!

Sometimes, it's best to move on. 

38 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Honestly it would be amazing if we had any kids who were big NU basketball fans growing up here.  We have rarely been good during their lifetime.  Thank goodness Sam loved the hometown team.

We really need to string some winning seasons together to get this next generation of local kids excited about Husker hoops.

47 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Chucky basically said he would have come here if Lewis / Miles were still here, so he had some love for us. Hunter did not and I have no idea on Traudt so I’d defer to you on him.

2 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

Chucky basically said he would have come here if Lewis / Miles were still here, so he had some love for us. Hunter did not and I have no idea on Traudt so I’d defer to you on him.

I’ve had lots of girls say they would have dated me but it was just bad timing. 

19 hours ago, cipsucks said:

Eddy Grant of Electric Avenue fame was a founding member of The Equals and wrote this song.  What other basketball board can you get this kind of trivial information from? 🙂  

This is a heckuva grab. This is the kind of trivial pursuit question which ends winning streaks...:)

35 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

So Chuckie is going to SJSU?  I kid, I kid

Anything in San Jose has the potential to become a NIL powerhouse. that place is tres loaded. If I'm Miles, I'm doing deals with every car dealer in the AO. Even the used lots are pitching high end Mercedes....

It worked for Tark in Las Vegas, right?