MISSOURI STATE GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Nebraska Cornhuskers (16-14, 8-10 Big Ten)
vs. Missouri State Lady Bears (20-11, 14-6 Missouri Valley)
Postseason WNIT First Round
Wednesday, March 15, 2023, 6 p.m. (CT)
Pinnacle Bank Arena - Lincoln, Nebraska
Tickets: 
Huskers.com / 1-800-8-BIG-RED
Live Video: B1G+
Live Radio: Huskers Radio Network (5:45 p.m.)
Matt Coatney (PBP), Jeff Griesch (Analyst)
Lincoln (107.3 FM), Omaha (590 AM), Huskers.com, Huskers App

Huskers Host Missouri State in WNIT Wednesday
The Nebraska women's basketball team earned a spot in the 2023 Postseason WNIT and will play host to Missouri State in the tournament's first round on Wednesday in Lincoln.

Tip-off between the Huskers (16-14, 8-10 Big Ten) and the Lady Bears (20-11, 14-6 Missouri Valley) is set for 6 p.m. (CT) at Pinnacle Bank Arena.

A live stream of the game will be provided to subscribers of B1G+.    Fans also can listen across the Huskers Radio Network, including 107.3 FM in Lincoln and 590 AM in Omaha, the Huskers App and Huskers.com, as Matt Coatney and Jeff Griesch call the action.

Cut and paste from  my other post....

Done some brief research...

Missouri State is no slouch. They're well coached (she was an assistant at Notre Dame and Duke for about 10-15 years before becoming head coach at another school before Missouri St)  I think she (coach Cunningham) was at Notre Dame as an assistant when Jess Shepard was there..(natl championship).  

(trivia....she played at and is Notre Dame's all time leading scorer)

They have some quick slashing guards, good rebounding. (watched a clip of short video)

They have won lots of games this year, and also in their past history. Common opponent They lost to Drake by a few points.  We lost to Drake by about 18. 

We must be ready for this one.

Edit: Watched the player interview with Sam and Alexis last night....not getting a great vib about them being in WNIT.  Hope I'm imagining it.

Edited by redsteve

Great to get a victory over a physical, determined opponent.  We were hammered on the boards as we gave up 23 offensive rebounds.  Our veterans led the way which doesn’t bode well if they all depart.  We really, really need Jaz and Bourne to come back.  Survive and advance.

Not a pretty win, but a win.  In the first half it looked like they haven't played in several months.  But got it done in the second half.

Finally the coaching staff woke up and changed the pace of the defense. So  why we haven't all year?

Refs were not great

When the other team gets lots of their own offensive rebounds it can mean they aren't hitting their shots. But their big was a bull to their credit. We hit about 45% and they about 30 shooting...the last I looked.

OK, on to the next one. 

Edited by redsteve

Good, hard-nosed ballgame, which is the type of game that Nebraska seems to have had difficulty finishing. Just glad NU got it done tonight. Nice to see Haiby with 25. She'll be missed for sure. Wish Weidner well in her recovery, she will have to take minutes up that Sam has been playing lately. Hope Shelley & Bourne both come back in 2023-24! GBR

55 minutes ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

First half was embarrassing. The 2nd half the girls stood up for themselves. Wish they did that all year around. Still not impressed with post play at all. 

What did you see that you would define as embarrassing?   I thought there was a feeling out period against a fairly solid team.  We played a bit tight, but that is not entirely unusual for a first round tournament game.  

But I really am interested in what embarrassed you?

A few other thoughts.  Sam really handled her assignments (offensively and defensively) well.  We certainly lost the rebounding battle, as they crashed hard to the boards; however, that said, we seemed to control the scoring in the paint. Their coach stated that our post players did a good job posting low and their defenders got caught behind our post players.   Lastly, we basically had a 10 point win while shooting badly from the arc.  That, in and of its self, is a bit encouraging. 

23 to 8 on offensive rebounds for the game. Didnt defend 3pt line in the first half. Silly turnovers in the first half. But I will admit in the 2nd half I thought we played well and played rough as well. 

I am not sure I would say we controlled the paint. It was pretty even to me. I am not sure I would consider Sams 7 layups as part of controlling the paint. Thank Gosh for Sam though slashing to the hoop. At one point I looked up and AM had 1 rebound in the middle of the 3rd Qtr but she ended on a good note in the 2nd half. 

Our post moves are just not there. AM does a lot of movement waist up but the footwork is something else. If an assistant could get the footwork there like Holmes and Czinano she will be unstoppable

We seemed to look good at blocking out last night but then no one went for the ball which in turn lead to offensive rebound. 

I would take their #5 in a heartbeat on the team. She was fun to watch. 

37 minutes ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

23 to 8 on offensive rebounds for the game. Didnt defend 3pt line in the first half. Silly turnovers in the first half. But I will admit in the 2nd half I thought we played well and played rough as well. 

I am not sure I would say we controlled the paint. It was pretty even to me. I am not sure I would consider Sams 7 layups as part of controlling the paint. Thank Gosh for Sam though slashing to the hoop. At one point I looked up and AM had 1 rebound in the middle of the 3rd Qtr but she ended on a good note in the 2nd half. 

Our post moves are just not there. AM does a lot of movement waist up but the footwork is something else. If an assistant could get the footwork there like Holmes and Czinano she will be unstoppable

We seemed to look good at blocking out last night but then no one went for the ball which in turn lead to offensive rebound. 

I would take their #5 in a heartbeat on the team. She was fun to watch. 

I too noticed a scramble to 'box out', then no one chasing the rebound.  It might work under the bucket, but not beyond.  Also think including Sam's points, in paint statistics, is a bit misleading.  Still overall, pleased we live to play again.

Have to agree on All (The Good And the Bad).  First Half they played Just like a Team that hadn't played a game in 2 weeks  ;)  (only a 3 pt lead at halftime, if Jaz's half-court heave hadn't gone in); getting it more together in the 2nd. 

Not taking away anything from Missouri State, they are a Good team (won 20 games this season) and were fun to watch 😬 (if they were playing anybody but Nebraska).  Like Karl, I was Very surprised at the Points in the Paint differential (40 vs 22);  Excluding Sam (well, because that's just what Sam Does), it would be much closer - any closer and we could have lost the game).  We didn't seem to be able to 'Put them away' their largest lead was only 2 pts, but we let them 'hang around.'    Matt & Jeff commented (or Jeff's comment) that he'd like to see us playing more downhill in our scoring drives.  Like Karl, I'd like to see Alexis become an 'unstoppable ' force in the paint.

It didn't seem like the rebounding emphasis was there like it was in some previous games (losing that battle along with 2nd chance points).  But we controlled our turnovers well, got more blocks, steals & Fast Break points.   ON to Colorado State/Northern Iowa!  

Here is the break down of the point scored in paint

AM = 6

Izzie = 10

Sam = 14

Annika = 4

Kendall = 2

Maddie = 4

So the bigs score 20, and the rest scored 20. Seems to me that the BIGS held thier own. Also Missouri State was the 9th leading team in the nation in offensive rebounds.

Edited by Bugeaters1

51 minutes ago, Red Don said:

BTW:  Colo St vs No Iowa on today (Thurs) @ 7:00 pm Eastern. It will be streamed by espn 3.  (not sure if it is subscription or not)

Preview:

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/preview/_/gameId/401526902

Yes a subscription is required $10.99 a month, I'll be watching it. 

Was at the game last night.  Overall I thought we played intense and executed well enough to pull out a W.  Mo. St I figured would be really tough going simply by the fact that they played Drake within 4 points in their conf. tourney matchup (remember Drake?).  Yeah that's a very broad comparison but anyway.  I was glad to see the team play hard and show some enthusiasm along the way.  I see we will be playing No. Iowa on Sun. afternoon here at PBA.  I recall playing them in the 1st round of the WNIT here and losing in/near the end of Yori's tenure (don't remember the year off hand).  Will be happy and feel fortunate to go and support them one more time.  Hoping the result against them is different this time around.  GBR!!  🌽🏀🎉