Transfer Portal 2023

22 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

There have been a lot of posts over the last year expressing disdain for schools that outbid other schools for players. It seems we're now OK with it.

Is there anybody who still has a problem with it?

I have more of an issue with the girlfriend side of things.  Ur still young....dump her and go for the money.  Let her get herself into college or whatever.  That's not on you...that's on her.  No woman is worth that much trouble. 

56 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

I have more of an issue with the girlfriend side of things.  Ur still young....dump her and go for the money.  Let her get herself into college or whatever.  That's not on you...that's on her.  No woman is worth that much trouble. 

Wow.   You do understand she has already gotten herself into college as a scholarship athlete, correct?  Would you dump your wife and "go for the money"?   I'd take my wife over any amount of money on earth (and at one point she was "just my girlfriend").  Of course, she's a basketball fan.   I'm sure the Jay offer is pretty good also, btw.  

10 hours ago, royalfan said:

From Washnut in regards to Kerr.   -My biggest concern for Nebraska is where things stand with their NIL operation. I've heard West Virginia's collective brought a substantial offer to the table. Will 1890 be able to come up with something at least in the same ballpark?

I hope you know more than him that our NIL is in good shape.  I have my doubts it is as strong as you think.  Would love to be wrong.  

I thought Kerr was unable to receive NIL due to being an international player?

1 hour ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I thought Kerr was unable to receive NIL due to being an international player?

I would have thought have thought so too until I saw in his Arizona bio a big old link to his NIL page.  Not sure what is different between him and Tominaga, if anything.  

Edited by royalfan

3 hours ago, HB said:

Things are happening.   We offered more for Traudt than Creighton, but the girlfriend is still winning.  Efforts as we speak to raise basketball-specific funds, which the Peeds have agreed to match.  

This is taking pussywhipped to a strange level.  Both very young college kids.  I don’t quite get it.  hopefully If he chooses then he is doing it for basketball.  

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

This is taking pussywhipped to a strange level.  Both very young college kids.  I don’t quite get it.  hopefully If he chooses then he is doing it for basketball.  

The basketball makes sense also.  It's not like he's going with Minnesota over Duke just due to a girlfriend.   

3 hours ago, HB said:

Wow.   You do understand she has already gotten herself into college as a scholarship athlete, correct?  Would you dump your wife and "go for the money"?   I'd take my wife over any amount of money on earth (and at one point she was "just my girlfriend").  Of course, she's a basketball fan.   I'm sure the Jay offer is pretty good also, btw.  

A wife is not the same thing as a girlfriend, and if she's already in college why would he need to have her getting into law school as part of his playing basketball?  That should be part of her scholarship.  Should have zero to do with his playing basketball there.  

Edited by Nighthawk

14 minutes ago, HB said:

Glad to know you're an expert in the field.  

Well, I do consider myself an expert in this field.  I watched enough Jerry Springer back in the day to be qualified to give advice to anyone.  Does anyone know if his girlfriend is also his cousin or sister?  That's a wheelhouse area of expertise.

59 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

A wife is not the same thing as a girlfriend, and if she's already in college why would he need to have her getting into law school as part of his playing basketball?  That should be part of her scholarship.  Should have zero to do with his playing basketball there.  

Why are you bringing up law school? That had nothing do with Traudt, that was Alabama football. 

28 minutes ago, REDZONEDAN said:

I’ve heard it’s a great place to work at.

Sure. It is now. Just wait till ChatGPT2028 comes along and ruins it for everyone.

Five years from now, we're going to be sitting here reading some AI bot having a discussion with itself under multiple screen names arguing exactly how many shots we should be taking/allowing from 3-7 feet from the rim with under five to play in the game -- because some evil computer sonofabitch is going to program his AI thing to create a bunch of message board chatter so we don't start wondering what's in this soylent green stuff we've been eating these last few years.

And we'll all be like yeah I wondered whatever happened to that kid who missed a bunch of open treys at the end of that MSU game. Anyway, pass me some more of those eyeball-looking things.

4 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

The NCAA coming out saying they basically won’t approve immediate transfers for a second time unless you have graduated should slow down transfers some what. 

now just need to put some guard rails up on the whole NIL side of things. 

I haven't looked at the data to support, but I've had an intuition for awhile during COVID that between less stringent transfer rules, extra COVID years, and NIL, we've seen quite an interesting phenomenon of schools quickly building their rosters which has helped to provide some parity across the NCAA, whether mid-majors or P5.

I'm curious to see if some of that parity will start to regress as these restrictions become tighter.