Transfer Portal 2023

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

True. I just don't know who's out there that we could get. I would like a guy with Blaise's size but bouncier and more durable.

This quite literally describes Grant Nelson. 6’11  ~240. He was all-defense first team this year. A frontcourt of Traudt (who has gained a lot of good weight this year) and Nelson would be bigger than most. Lawrence and Hepburn are very good to great perimeter defenders. The lineup you described could be pretty damn good defensively in our system. There were times this year we had Keisei, CJ and Wilhelm on the court together and still made the offense work very hard to get good looks. 

39 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

This quite literally describes Grant Nelson. 6’11  ~240. He was all-defense first team this year. A frontcourt of Traudt (who has gained a lot of good weight this year) and Nelson would be bigger than most. Lawrence and Hepburn are very good to great perimeter defenders. The lineup you described could be pretty damn good defensively in our system. There were times this year we had Keisei, CJ and Wilhelm on the court together and still made the offense work very hard to get good looks. 

You know - the whole "in our system" point is well taken. That's a good point. When thinking of this team and recruits, it is important to think about who is able and willing to decisively close-out on rotations and not think about rules. Probably why Denim didn't work as well as he should have - he's a very good individual defender. But our defense almost assumes you're gonna get beat as an individual. 

Nelson definitely brings length and some rim protection - but he's not a banger. However, that's just my from my limited viewing. 

Some rabbit hole I went down has some big from Vanderbilt looking at us. Along with everybody else but the author of the article said he would be a great fit. DW II type of guy who can shoot outside some. Can’t remember the name. 
okay looked it up and his name is Myles Stute. 

Edited by Silverbacked1

9 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

This is a big one:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35912072/wyoming-star-big-man-graham-ike-enters-transfer-portal

Missed the year with an injury, 2 years of eligibility remaining.

He missed this past year ('22-23) with injury. He played '21-22 and '20-21.

The '20-21 year doesn't count against anyone's eligibility, as I understand it. So, doesn't he have 3 years?

Also been linked to Nelly Joseph.  Doesn’t seem super athletic based on some highlights but can finish with both hands around the hoop and has been a plus rebounder in his 3 years at Iona.  Wouldn’t bring to the table what walker had at high post but is probably a more skilled player on the block IMO.  Would have possibly 2 years to play. 

11B58B5D-C21D-45EA-916F-4E4FC5426606.jpeg

32 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

This doesn’t exactly inject excitement into the veins.  Maybe there’s a reason for those kind of stats?  Not exactly a strong list of suitors either.

Walker and Petteway’s stats were similar.  Not saying he is that caliber, but you never know the situation.  

That said, we are at a spot where I’d really like to see some established kids because Fred is in year 5 and needs to build on last season.  

40 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

This doesn’t exactly inject excitement into the veins.  Maybe there’s a reason for those kind of stats?  Not exactly a strong list of suitors either.

I saw the list of schools and it piqued my interest about why only mid-majors are recruiting.

Guy was a 4 star pg and shot 51% from 3 in HS and 81% at the FT line.

In college in very limited PT he's shooting 50% from 3.  He actually played against us for 17 minutes and had a good stat line.

Would have to see how he plays but his composite from HS looks an awful lot like Parker Fredrickson.

5 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I saw the list of schools and it piqued my interest about why only mid-majors are recruiting.

In college in very limited PT he's shooting 50% from 3.  He actually played against us for 17 minutes and had a good stat line.

Would have to see how he plays but his composite from HS looks an awful lot like Parker Fredrickson.

I watched Oklahoma a number of times, and he's a decent player but played behind their best player. Cortes is a true PG and more than good enough to play here.

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

His high schools tape also looks like he was/is pretty effective at getting to the hoop and finishing with both hands in a variety of different ways/angles.  Defensive effort was basically a zero in the tape though.