Transfer Portal 2023

14 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Feels like after watching basketball the last two days and what other tournament teams are built around we need keita and breidenbach to be our rotation at the 5 vs bigger centers then try to get a more athletic 6’8 or 6’9 guy that can play the 4 or 5 in the portal.  Foot speed seems to be king in March 

While he’s only listed at 6’6”, that’s effectively what Juwan Gary is. But we definitely need some more size and athleticism that’s for sure. Point taken. 

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Bart Torvik provides a good snapshot at transfers, ranked by their points above replacement (look it up if you don't understand, because I can't explain it). The current leader is Josh Cohen of St. Francis.

https://www.barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?link=y&xvalue=trans&year=2023&minmin=0&start=20221101&end=20230501

Dang...that hurts my head.

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Bart Torvik provides a good snapshot at transfers, ranked by their points above replacement (look it up if you don't understand, because I can't explain it). The current leader is Josh Cohen of St. Francis.

https://www.barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?link=y&xvalue=trans&year=2023&minmin=0&start=20221101&end=20230501

Wofford has 3 players in the top 50 transferring. Suprised they didn't wait until Wofford finished their deep tourney run to annou

Oh, wait ...

Yikes!  550+ names and counting.

Why would anyone want to jump into that pool of names, unless expected to be in high demand or having a destination in hand?

And for high school players out of the top 100 rankings, that list of names must be disheartening in the extreme!

39 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

The portal gets a bad name for guys moving up for a better offer somewhere else, but the vast majority of players are looking to move somewhere to just get on the court. Denim and Oleg aren't going to end up at P5 schools, they'll be at a MAC or Valley school.

Those are two guys I could see developing into decent mid major players if they go to a school where they can log some minutes.