What are the AD expectations for Fred next year?

31 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

I cannot make an evaluation until I see the makeup of the roster.  We don’t have enough returning to compete at the level I would like to achieve. 

We had less returning last year and we were real close to upper half of Big10 (and tourney appearance). Obviously portal is important but I do not think we are that far off.

It's amazing what a new season can do.  I had no positive expectations coming into this year.  Alternatively, I'm looking forward to seeing what he puts together for next year. He has a blueprint now and I think he is invested in making it work. Without injuries this year, I believe he was tournament bound. If he doesn't do that next year, I am for going a different direction.

7 hours ago, kldm64 said:

It's to the point where if we aren't in post season next season, it might be time to re-evaluate if Fred is the guy to continue to lead this program forward or not.  

That's kind of what I was getting at. Seems like by that point he should have atleast made the tournament once. He's not Trevs hire so I'm not really seeing an argument where he keeps his job without making the tournament unless it's like that 1 weird year where they win 22 games and not make it but another 16-17ish type win season? IMO is hard to justify keeping him around.

The on court problems and results are on Fred, but can you imagine where this program would be without incompetence from the admin and outside sources? The Diaz English proficiency test, Robert Sallie, and two guys going to the tourney this year not on this roster due to the OWH and lawyers.  Can you imagine this team with Keyontae Johnson and Adana Sanogo on it? Sanogo takes Oleg’s spot and although I love him, KT is playing in Japan this year to get Johnson.  That is easily a tourney team. I know this is a post full of what-ifs, but that’s a reason why judging Fred’s success here isn’t as cut and dry as looking at the record.

4 hours ago, jimmychitwood said:

The on court problems and results are on Fred, but can you imagine where this program would be without incompetence from the admin and outside sources? The Diaz English proficiency test, Robert Sallie, and two guys going to the tourney this year not on this roster due to the OWH and lawyers.  Can you imagine this team with Keyontae Johnson and Adana Sanogo on it? Sanogo takes Oleg’s spot and although I love him, KT is playing in Japan this year to get Johnson.  That is easily a tourney team. I know this is a post full of what-ifs, but that’s a reason why judging Fred’s success here isn’t as cut and dry as looking at the record.

whatd the owh do? 

4 hours ago, jimmychitwood said:

If KT is playing in Japan to get Johnson, and everything else remained the same, I think we win a few more early ones, but not sure on the late ones.  KT averaged 20+ PPG in the last 6 or so.

5 hours ago, jimmychitwood said:

Adama Sanogo was only considering Nebraska because of Kenya Hunter.  He chose UConn because that's where Kenya was when he committed.  Ironically, Hunter left UConn before Sanogo got on campus.

Bandoumel was the late, late addition last year to take the spot Keyonte would have otherwise occupied.  Tominaga was gonna be here regardless, no need to make room.

2 hours ago, kldm64 said:
On 3/10/2023 at 6:21 PM, 49r said:

I have no expectations.

This is alot of the problem with Nebraska basketball is no expectations.  We absolutely should have expectations and we'll continue being a below average basketball program until that changes.  

I'd argue that the amount of money we're throwing into coaches, staff, facilities, etc. aren't at comparable levels of "no expectations."

Many schools with lower expectations and fewer resources than us have had much more success.

If my, personal, expectations for Fred's next season is what has been holding this program back from achieving the greatness we all so richly deserve, then I offer you all my humblest apologies.  Clearly it is my responsibility and I haven't taken it as seriously has I should.

I will try to do better in the future.

Battling near .500 in the B1G and a couple games over .500 overall should probably be the standard for a successful coach at Nebraska.  I think Fred's offensive sets this year were great for the B1G and the defensive approach also works well.  There's actually still quite a bit of freedom to his offensive system once kids get in rhythm.  You really just need one or two mismatches to patiently go iso and a lot of movement to prevent help defense, and running it through the 5 position might bring in some unique talent while everyone else is going stretch 5-out.  I think (hope) there is going to be a renaissance of bigs again soon (see Purdue) and Fred might be ahead of the curve again.  

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:
10 hours ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

Battling near .500 in the B1G and a couple games over .500 overall should probably be the standard for a successful coach at Nebraska. 

If so, then I weep for all of us.

This has only been done 3 times in the last 23 seasons. Only 2 times over 0.500. That's a pretty good ambition to strive for as a next step.

16 hours ago, 49r said:

If my, personal, expectations for Fred's next season is what has been holding this program back from achieving the greatness we all so richly deserve, then I offer you all my humblest apologies.  Clearly it is my responsibility and I haven't taken it as seriously has I should.

I will try to do better in the future.

About time you recognized this.....lol.  I appreciate you stepping up your game and helping the program move forward.  :)

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

This has only been done 3 times in the last 23 seasons. Only 2 times over 0.500. That's a pretty good ambition to strive for as a next step.

I know it’s like beating a dead horse, but every time I see one of these statistics, I can’t believe we fired the coach that is probably 2/3 of these seasons… if not 3/3 because it wasn’t “good enough”.

48 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I know it’s like beating a dead horse, but every time I see one of these statistics, I can’t believe we fired the coach that is probably 2/3 of these seasons… if not 3/3 because it wasn’t “good enough”.

I'm sorry, but  115-114 overall and 52-76 in the BIG for 7 season is not good enough. Just because we've hired people who were worse does not make that "good enough." 

This raises a question: Does a dead horse feel good when you stop beating it?

4 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I'm sorry, but  115-114 overall and 52-76 in the BIG for 7 season is not good enough. Just because we've hired people who were worse does not make that "good enough." 

This raises a question: Does a dead horse feel good when you stop beating it?

I think the goal should be close to what Rutgers has established itself as the past 4 seasons. Not expecting you to be the MSU, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois's of the world. But at least get to a point where you're consistently competitive for the middle of the B1G. 

9 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Well we are 40-83 and 18-61 in the BIG since then.  Talent wise there was a lot of hope going into year 3 but that ended in disaster. Year 4 going into year 5 feels like the first time we have a lot of confidence in scheme and culture being right. 

No P5 teams set the expectation at NIT. NCAA Tournament is the goal of every P5 program (at some it’s the minimum goal). I would say at Nebraska the expectation should be NCAAs every third season. Part of the reason I think Fred needs to be NCAA bound or damn close (NIT 1 seed, first 4 out) next year.