What are the AD expectations for Fred next year?

Better than this preview for 2022-23 from BT Powerhouse:

10. Overall Season Outlook

At one point talking about the Cornhuskers on a season preview podcast episode the other week, I managed to psych myself up into thinking this team might stand a chance at finishing with 15 or more total wins on the season and 10th place or maybe a spot higher in Big Ten action if things really clicked.

After two exhibition games of bad shooting, that balloon popped far faster than Trev Albert’s excuse of a helium shortage ended the pollution plagued football tradition (at least for one season so far). If the team manages more than 10-12 wins overall and doesn’t finish in the bottom three of the Big Ten, then it should likely be considered the optimistic result. If the team finishes better than that, man was it a great season by recent standards.

Big Ten Prediction: 14th Place

A lot of people saying "bubble". But what does that actually mean?

Be in the conversation for the tournament in March? Be on some pundants list for last four out? On Selection Sunday at least be on the "Next Four Out" list? Host a first round home game in the NIT? These are all very different things when referring to "at least bubble".

10 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Be in the conversation for the tournament in March? Be on some pundants list for last four out? On Selection Sunday at least be on the "Next Four Out" list? Host a first round home game in the NIT? These are all very different things when referring to "at least bubble".

I’ll answer for me. Last 4 out minimum. My guess around 20 wins. If we don't make the tournament it better feel like we got robbed. Which is not unfamiliar around these parts 😐

Edited by cornfed24-7

25 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

For me, the bubble means we make the tournament or we feel like we got screwed. 

46 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

For me, the bubble means we make the tournament or we feel like we got screwed. 

I feel like if we can get another we can say we have a consensus. Bubble = In or we got screwed. As it pertains to the criteria - What does Hoiberg have to do to keep his job? As it applies to those who are stating the "Bubble” is the "minimum" for Hoiberg to be retained another year... Next year. Clear as mud? 😁

No slippage, record-wise (nine conference wins and .500+ overall), accompanied by a clear sense that the team will continue to improve plus at least one BTT victory. 

For example, while we achieved our best conference record since 2018, we did it with a couple of super-seniors and others who won't or probably won't return.

In other words, if we can do just as well next year but with a slightly younger team, that would be acceptable because the future would be clearly brighter than the cloudy forecast we have today.

On the other hand, if it appears we have to annually rebuild the roster in order to still finish in the bottom quarter of the Big Ten, then that puts the AD in a difficult position with the coaching staff.

Edited by jayschool

4 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

So basically our 2nd best season in 23 years?

Huh?

9-11 is the second-best season in 23 years?  Third-best. 

But point taken. Maybe a little slippage as long as we don't have to rebuild every year just to be slightly below average.

Thanks for the reality check.

Edited by jayschool

3 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:
11 minutes ago, jayschool said:

No slippage, record-wise (nine conference wins and .500+ overall), accompanied by a clear sense that the team will continue to improve plus at least one BTT victory. 

So basically our 2nd best season in 23 years?

Having a winning record, and 9+ conference wins, and winning a conference tournament game.

We need to strike Gold in the Transfer Portal with a Dynamic Wing Player, a PG & a Post. We’re counting on players in Lloyd & Rice who haven’t played a minute of B1G Basketball to contribute immediately. They could just as easily fall flat on their face, the examples of that are too numerous to mention. BUT we have a solid core returning & a modest level of success to build on…

32 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

It's to the point where if we aren't in post season next season, it might be time to re-evaluate if Fred is the guy to continue to lead this program forward or not.  

We're averaging 1 postseason every 3 seasons (since 2000). Not saying we should strive for better than that (we should), but this goes beyond a single coach. Zero postseasons in five years would certainly turn heads.