uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 32: Big Ten Tournament - Minnesota

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Speaking of embarrassing 

Really?  With two good starters out for the season?  I’m far from embarrassed with this group.  They represent Nebraska well and hopefully tilted the culture of the program into the right direction.  They deserve a postseason somewhere.  

13 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Also, I'm not convinced that we are out of the conversation for an NIT bid.

I'm right here with ya! This team is a good story and I think that matters a little bit. Especially for the NIT. I really don't think ANYONE would make much of a stink if they made it in either. And I think that matters a bit. And I think you can sell a game with Nebraska and unnamed team and people will buy it. And that matters a bit. 

10 minutes ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

Really?  With two good starters out for the season?  I’m far from embarrassed with this group.  They represent Nebraska well and hopefully tilted the culture of the program into the right direction.  They deserve a postseason somewhere.  

CBI takes under .500 group of 5 teams. It’s a joke. Don’t want to be associated with it. NIT or bust! 

15 minutes ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

The CBI would probably only be helpful if we made an effort NOT to play Sam, Derrick, etc.  I don’t want DW and Sam to go out with their last memory being the CBI, but maybe they are down for it?

7 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

The CBI would probably only be helpful if we made an effort NOT to play Sam, Derrick, etc.  I don’t want DW and Sam to go out with their last memory being the CBI, but maybe they are down for it?

As Polish said, ”NIT or bust!"

Please lord baby Jesus don't let the CBI the last memory of this team 🥺

2 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

As Polish said, ”NIT or bust!"

Please lord baby Jesus don't let the CBI the last memory of this team 🥺

I really don't understand this take.  Yes, the CBI is historically participated in by G5 and smaller schools but what's the harm if the team wants to continue their season?  Do you think we will be a national laughingstock?  Outside of some twitter trolls, I can promise you the national media could care less about this tournament.  The only people that will care are teams, their respective fan bases and Vegas.  

Now, if your rationale is absent an NIT berth you would rather see this team end their season to focus on offseason work.  i.e transfer portal, recruiting, roster construction, etc. then I can understand.

If we participate in a CBI and our younger players get more work and experience in a "win or you are done" tournament, I have no issues and would happily cheer them on 

I do wonder though if the trip to Spain this summer makes it more likely for the coaching staff to decline a a potential CBI invite since the offseason is shorter 

10 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I really don't understand this take.  Yes, the CBI is historically participated in by G5 and smaller schools but what's the harm if the team wants to continue their season?  Do you think we will be a national laughingstock?  Outside of some twitter trolls, I can promise you the national media could care less about this tournament.  The only people that will care are teams, their respective fan bases and Vegas.  

Now, if your rationale is absent an NIT berth you would rather see this team end their season to focus on offseason work.  i.e transfer portal, recruiting, roster construction, etc. then I can understand.

If we participate in a CBI and our younger players get more work and experience in a "win or you are done" tournament, I have no issues and would happily cheer them on 

I do wonder though if the trip to Spain this summer makes it more likely for the coaching staff to decline a a potential CBI invite since the offseason is shorter 

Sure I'll explain. I think it serve zero purpose. It just doesn't matter. And I think it would actually be a horrible decision for Tominaga, Walker, Griesel, anyone that wants to transfer, anyone that stays, and Hoiberg  to play in it 🤔. Its a no win for all of them. And for me as a fan I don't care to see it. And by no means do I judge anyone that would.

Edit to add - Also if I was advising Tominaga(assuming gone),Walker, or any transfer I would most likely advise them to skip the NIT as well. But as a fan I do still care a bit about the NIT 😃

Edited by cornfed24-7

5 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Sure I'll explain. I think it serve zero purpose. It just doesn't matter. And I think it would actually be a horrible decision for Tominaga, Walker, Griesel, anyone that wants to transfer, anyone that stays, and Hoiberg  to play in it 🤔. Its a no win for all of them. And for me as a fan I don't care to see it. And by no means do I judge anyone that would. 

This is a nonsensical take to me.  Tominaga I can understand, if he were to not want to risk injury while deciding whether to turn pro.  But how is it a "horrible decision" for Walker and Griesel to hypothetically want to play in the CBI?  It would likely be the very last time either laces up their sneakers in a competitive game.  I can't blame someone for choosing to extend their career by a few games, especially since they seem to truly enjoy playing with this group of guys. And it's been years since our program has seen any kind of post-season, so even the CBI feels like a small reward.

5 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

This is a nonsensical take to me.  Tominaga I can understand, if he were to not want to risk injury while deciding whether to turn pro.  But how is it a "horrible decision" for Walker and Griesel to hypothetically want to play in the CBI?  It would likely be the very last time either laces up their sneakers in a competitive game.  I can't blame someone for choosing to extend their career by a few games, especially since they seem to truly enjoy playing with this group of guys. And it's been years since our program has seen any kind of post-season, so even the CBI feels like a small reward.

I wouldn't blame them but I still think it's a horrible decision. I might give you Griesel. But no way Walker. He stands to make money. My guess a good bit. And it is absolutely a horrible decision to play in a game that doesn't matter and risk injury which would compromise that money.

I had played football from 5th grade to my senior year in college. After my last game if they told me I could play one more game I would have sold my left nut to play. My left one because I would need to sell my right one to the devil so I could graduate from college. 🤨  

any way as a senior most would really want to keep playing at a level that means something. 

21 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Texas Tech announced they will NOT play in the NIT.

Juwan Howard said they would "talk about it" on if they wanted to play in the NIT.  

Two teams that would have been in ahead of us.

Talk that UNC would not go NIT either, so hopefully they do not play themselves in and bump someone else

4 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

One of the things that helps us with the NIT is our attendance record. They want to have full houses shown on TV for the NIT games.  We will have a decent showing if people get one more chance to see these guys. 

I am not sure we would be seeded high enough to host but we have seen the NIT committee work in mysterious ways!

Your point is well taken though and I am sure this is a factor in the room.

Not sure why so many people are opposed to one of the pay tournaments.  I liken it to football teams getting an extra month of practice when they make a bowl.  Great time to develop young players.  I personally think Breidenbach needs all the minutes of game action he can get to continue developing.

Dana Altmans first year at Oregon they played McDermotts first Creighton team in the title game.  Both coaches were building their programs. And used those extra games as a springboard.  Seemed to work pretty well for those 2 programs.

5 hours ago, busticket said:

Seemed to work pretty well for those 2 programs.

If there were other solid teams going it would be one thing. That was 12 years ago, it’s a different tournament now. The last P5 team to go was DePaul in ‘19, and they got runner up and followed it up by going 5-29 the next 2 years in the Big East. It’s a tournament built for the Southern Indianas of the world. Better off getting an early start on the offseason.