Andre Smith RIP

18 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Sorry to hear that. Andre Smith was a dude on the basketball court.

I will always remember his wave to the basket after a made free throw.

That 1977-78 team, which was Andre's freshman year, was fun to watch: Carl McPipe, Brian Banks, Andre Smith and a couple of Lincolnites, Kurt Hedberg (yay, Spartans!) and Terry Novak (boo, Rockets!), along with Hastings' Mark McVicker.

They went 22-8, 9-5 in the conference, beating KU 62-58 at the Devaney Center. The season ended in the second round of the NIT at Texas.

2 hours ago, jayschool said:

I will always remember his wave to the basket after a made free throw.

That 1977-78 team, which was Andre's freshman year, was fun to watch: Carl McPipe, Brian Banks, Andre Smith and a couple of Lincolnites, Kurt Hedberg (yay, Spartans!) and Terry Novak (boo, Rockets!), along with Hastings' Mark McVicker.

They went 22-8, 9-5 in the conference, beating KU 62-58 at the Devaney Center. The season ended in the second round of the NIT at Texas.

Would have made the NCAA that year if they had expanded it by then.

Man, this is sort of a tough one for me.  Spoke to him a number of times and was very affable off the court, while being a tough son-of-a-gun on the court.  May he rest in peace.

As a side bar...if the NCAA tournament was the same then as it is now, we would have had some tournament wins.  Just saying...

Edited by Huskerpapa

Just saw this.  Really sad to hear as Andre was truly a Husker basketball legend.  Loved watching him play - he was one who really enjoyed the game.   One of my clear Andre Smith memories is of him sitting on the bench after we had clinched a win and just having fun watching the scrubs finish the game. 

Have to also say he was also a master of "dirty play" - he would often give someone a little shove or elbow when the ref wasn't looking and then when the other guy retaliated and got called for fouling Andre he would just give the opponent a knowing smile and go the the free throw line.

A couple of Andre's teammates - Jerry Shoecraft and Eric Williams have lived in Lincoln a long time.   I bet they have some great Andre Smith stories.   Wish they would jump on here and share.

Just looked at that 1980-81 roster - Andre's senior year and my freshman year at NU.  That team had alot of my husker favorites.   Andre and Mike Naderer as seniors.  Jack Moore, Jerry Shoecraft and Ray Collins and Juniors - and two of my all-time Husker favorites - Greg Downing and Claude Renfro were sophomores on that team.  Great memories !

Edited by HuskerBB