How would we have done without injuries to Bandoumel and Gary?

HOLY MOLY, Norm!!!  You certainly DO know how to ask the Tough, Piercing Questions!    The perceptiveness of your penetrating question is only exceeded by the quality and quantity of insightful responses.

In addition to the responses so far, the best thing I've seen all day is how Iowa assigned their Star, to follow our evolving Japanese Terror, Tominaga, around the floor All Game, so he didn't have anything left in the gas tank when they needed him to win the game at the end.

21 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

There is precedence for this.  UConn won 5 in row to win the Big East tournament back in 2011 and then rattled off 6 more after that to win the title.  A tall, tall order but not impossible, especially with how average the BIG appears to be and how well we are currently playing.

If Nebraska were to win five games in five days, the NCAA would reward them by sending them to Dayton on Tuesday.

I’m definitely a fan of what both Gary and Bandoumel did for us this year.  If I could only choose one of them to come back next year, I’m choosing Gary.  

I think Ramel Lloyd has the potential to  be a solid replacement for Griesel.  If we can find another solid replacement for Walker, I think we definitely have a chance to make the tournament next year.

10 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Bando was kind of a double edge sword, and I refuse to be negative on him, but it’s clear that by just the way it worked out it benefitted us. Although I think he’s significantly a better shooter than he showed in his short stint.

I believe if we had Gary we’re probably +2 more wins. Less Wilhelm.

So this comment is kinda interesting to me.

I think, oddly enough, we probably did about as well without them as we could have hoped to have done with them. Not to knock either of them, but it really forced some other players to step up and those guys rose to the occasion. The comments about Gary >>>> Breidenbach are well-taken. Wilhelm has some off-season work to do, for sure.

But we are most certainly better positioned for next year given the development that certain players have received, that they wouldn't have gotten sitting on the bench behind Bandoumel and Gary.

So, what at first had me thinking we might not win another game really has turned into a blessing in disguise.

Backcourt guys with eligibility:

Keisei

CJ

Lawrence

Hoiberg

McPherson

Lloyd Jr

Frontcourt guys with eligibility:

Keita

Gary

Breidenbach

Kojenets

Dawson

Rice

We have two spots available right now. That will probably change as the transfer portal opens. Based on historical trends, you might expect 2-4 players to enter the portal from our end. If that were the case, we'd have somewhere between 4-6 new players we could bring in.

If we can keep CJ, Lawrence, Hoiberg and Lloyd Jr and add a solid transfer PG, that would actually give us a pretty competitive backcourt. Maybe if you can find a wing who could be an efficient scorer from all 3 levels, you'd take a guy like that.

If we can keep Gary, Breidenbach and Kojenets as well as bringing in Rice, we'd still need to find a really good big man to make up for the loss of Walker, but it would be doable. It's not beyond the realm of possibility.

This is not an impossible task. Not too big of an ask. It's not that many pieces for us to be able to field a reasonably credible team next year.

7 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

@Norm Petersondo you not expect keita back or just left him out on accident? 

I listed him as one of the front court guys with eligibility. But he's not one of my "must keep" players. He might stay; he might not. He'd have to make a lot of progress in order to be an impact player next year, so if he doesn't stay, it's not going to be a big hit to our prospects for the season.

9 hours ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

I honestly think we'd be attempting to make the NCAA tournament with Gary on the court.

Gary won us a few games with his insane effort.  He's an absolutely elite defender and rebounder and very serviceable offensively.  We haven't really replaced his impact with anyone.  Bando's production has definitely been caught by the combo of Keisei/Lawrence/Hoiberg.  I love Bando, too, and I give him a ton of credit for turning us into a serious brand moving forward with his defense/toughness/attitude.  

I just don't think it's quite fair to lump Bando (loved his effort) with Gary.  Gary was arguably our best player before his injury on many nights, in my mind.  He was second in rebounds, first in steals, second in blocked shots, fourth in scoring.  He also had a knack for clutch hustle plays when we needed them most.  I cannot wait to get him back next season.  

Was at the Creighton game and Gary was the best athlete on the floor. He was primary reason we were able to beat MN at MN when this team was still finding its way. 

This team was above .500 when the best 4 were on the floor for the games.  That includes games against Creighton and Iowa.  No reason to think with all of them on the floor, + Tominaga and/or Lawrence, we wouldn't have been playing strongly like we are right now.  I can only imagine how well Tominaga would be playing if he could play on fire for 15-20 minutes a game, whereas now he is dragging in the 2nd half with cramps. 

In a fairly small sample size at the time of injuries I believe I recall seeing that walker geiesel Gary wilcher and bandoumel was a top 20 lineup in the nation.  I think the true answer completely hinges on if Hoiberg woukd have implemented the shooting more when needed or not.  We will never know.  Obviously we should be better with them, even if they were only used situationally.  

This is a great topic and great responses too.

One thing we have had going for us down the stretch is we are kind of a nightmare to prepare for defensively.  We have three matchup problems in our starting lineup:

Walker: elite post moves and passing, can score on taller players; almost demands a double team

Griesel: 6-7 PG that has very good post moves and will punish smaller guards by taking them inside…and recently has been effective from 3.  He’s a big problem.

Tominaga: while absolutely a terrifying 3-Pt shooter with infinite range and fast release, he is more scary with the way he moves without the ball.  He requires your best defender who also needs to be very disciplined.  Almost requires a box & one.

When Tominaga started getting minutes and confidence/patience to play within the offense and not just jack up 3s, the entire offense benefitted.  These three guys above are a huge problem defensively when all on the court together.  KT wears out defenders, DW neutralizes height, and SG forces mismatches.  He wouldn’t be on the court if we still had those other two guys.  Do you remember how teams were daring Gary and Bando to shoot it?  It resulted in less room for guys like Wilcher, who is finally making some shots.  And I’m all in on JL.

I think the answer is no, but those that’s credit those two guys for the culture to get to this point are right also.

With bith healthy, I believe we end around the same place as we did. If only 1 was lost, I think we end up worse than we did. It took losing both to really change our playing style.

With only 1 gone, I think we would've stuck with how we were trying to grind out games, but been less effective at it. Losing both forced our hand to modify because our roster was no longer able to play that way effectively. 

• Norm Peterson changed the title to How would we have done without injuries to Bandoumel and Gary?