uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 31: at Iowa

31 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I’m gonna miss Griesel so much. We gave up 20 some offensive boards today but play after play and game after game this year he’s busted his ass for us on the defensive glass.  

So happy he decided to come back home for his final year.  He’s a shining example of what this programs foundation should be built on. 

He gave a great postgame interview with Kent & reminded him this season is FAR from over…

From the Iowa Gazette

Yet, who loses when they get 21 more field goal attempts than their opponent, or has 21 offensive rebounds? Or steals the ball 12 times and only has it stolen once? On top of taking 17 free throws to the foe’s eight?

Hey...who dat...dat is IOWA!!!!

3 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

It's that time of the season. Time for an irrational thought...

Regardless of how many wins we get, why don't we just never lose to Creighton, Iowa, and Wisconsin ever again?

totally reasonable take, my friend. :)

50 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I’m gonna miss Griesel so much. We gave up 20 some offensive boards today but play after play and game after game this year he’s busted his ass for us on the defensive glass.  

So happy he decided to come back home for his final year.  He’s a shining example of what this programs foundation should be built on. 

He came down with some clutch rebounds when it counted. I hope his leadership legacy continues next year

5 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

When we were still with them under 8 minutes I kept thinking if only Iowa would have a stretch where they would go cold. Fortunately it happened in the final minutes.  I'm really surprised Fran did not get the block/charge call in the clutch from the ref he stared down the other day. 😊

Kelly Pfeiffer doesn't exactly have a history of making 50-50 calls go Nebraska's way 50% of the time - I'd say the stare down didn't work in the long run.

21 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

When we were still with them under 8 minutes I kept thinking if only Iowa would have a stretch where they would go cold. Fortunately it happened in the final minutes.  I'm really surprised Fran did not get the block/charge call in the clutch from the ref he stared down the other day. 😊

Iowa didn't make a shot from the field in the final 6+ minutes of the game. Think about that... against MSU Iowa made five straight threes in about 90 seconds. Crazy game this peach-"basket ball" that Naismith invented. 😙

Edited by AuroranHusker

21 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Here's an important factor noted in today's Omaha World-Herald:

"Iowa used future NBA lottery pick Kris Murray to follow Keisei Tominaga everywhere."

Think about that, too: Tominaga is everywhere on offense (running hard and cutting hard . . . all the time), and Iowa's best player is following and guarding him everywhere . . . all the time . . . then trying to be a force on offense too. 

During the last stages of yesterday's game, that NBA lottery pick is worn down and lacks his normal punch on offense.

Keisei Tominaga may have served one of his most-important roles as a Husker, yesterday, while scoring his fewest points in a very long time. 

I think what's really important is that not only are teams putting their better/best defenders on Keisei, but they are putting length on him (Battle, McConnell, Murray off the top of my head). Allows for other guys like Griesel to get more favorable matchups from smaller defenders

Edited by MichHusker

6 minutes ago, MichHusker said:

I think what's really important is that not only are teams putting their better/best defenders on Keisei, but they are putting length on him (Battle, McConnell, Murray off the top of my head). Allows for other guys like Griesel to get more favorable matchups from smaller defenders

That's kind of the genius of Fred's system isn't it?  If this were Tim's system, the other teams would just sag off Keisei or maybe not even guard him at all, allowing them to clog the inside and shut down driving lanes.

At it's best, Hoiball is just an absolute pleasure to watch.