Transfers are the new 5 star

hhcmatt

First off, I’m not saying things aren’t different, they are. But these numbers really aren’t that surprising.

Top 100 freshmen usually don’t average 10 ppg. Since 2015, we’ve had these top 100 recruits: Glynn, Morrow, Palmer, Andrew White, Anton Gill, Cope, Cheatham, Gary, Breidenbach. All averaged less than 10 as freshmen and only one, Bryce, averaged more.

On the other hand, top 100 transfers are usually leaving a school where they were a top scorer and going to a school where they know there’s an opening at their position. Verge was a top 100 transfer, for example, pretty sure Sam was too. Both are over 10 ppg.

Like I said, things are different, but that point could have been made some other way. These stats might hint at a shift, but they don’t signal a sea change.

Edited by Chuck Taylor
Clarification

45 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

First off, I’m not saying things aren’t different, they are. But these numbers really aren’t that surprising.

Top 100 freshmen usually don’t average 10 ppg. Since 2015, we’ve had these top 100 recruits: Glynn, Morrow, Palmer, Andrew White, Anton Gill, Cope, Cheatham, Gary, Breidenbach. All averaged less than 10 as freshmen and only one, Bryce, averaged more.

On the other hand, top 100 transfers are usually leaving a school where they were a top scorer and going to a school where they know there’s an opening at their position. Verge was a top 100 transfer, for example, pretty sure Sam was too. Both are over 10 ppg.

Like I said, things are different, but that point could have been made some other way. These stats might hint at a shift, but they don’t signal a sea change.

Yeah, I don't know.  It probably depends on team circumstance.  For a team and coach in "win now" mode, I suspect they pay significantly more attention to the transfer portal than to potentially HS recruiting.  It's obviously not an either/or but if your job is on the line, you are probably much more invested in landing several impact transfer players than long term high school prospects.  A new or established coach (i.e. one not on the hot seat) has the luxury of time and the ability to take a more thoughtful approach to roster building.

7 hours ago, hskr4life said:

This makes me excited for next year when you combine what we could get from the portal with players who have kind of broken out like J Law.

Jamarques has shown he belongs at this level. Hope we keep him for his career. I've heard Ramel Lloyd was the best of the freshmen in November. He's obviously going to be a little behind in development for having sat out compared to Jamarques. There were concerns that he was sitting out in order to save a year of eligibility to transfer, but I've heard Ramel plans to return. Which is nice.

The general consensus on Gary is that surgery should take care of the problem with his shoulder and that he'll be back better than ever.

And I've heard the names of one or two guards to keep an eye out for in the transfer portal.

If all of that comes to fruition and we can find a suitable replacement for Derrick Walker, we could actually be OK next year. I certainly think we have some pieces to build around.

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

If all of that comes to fruition and we can find a suitable replacement for Derrick Walker, we could actually be OK next year. I certainly think we have some pieces to build around.

I don't mind a Keita/Oleg 1-2 punch in the post next year.  Now, if we can get a solid grad transfer big, I'm ok with that too.

19 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I don't mind a Keita/Oleg 1-2 punch in the post next year.  Now, if we can get a solid grad transfer big, I'm ok with that too.

And I think it really helps being able to show potential recruits how we utilized Walker. Not that they will necessarily be able to duplicate what he has done. But it lets the big guys dream 😉

26 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Jamarques has shown he belongs at this level. Hope we keep him for his career. I've heard Ramel Lloyd was the best of the freshmen in November. He's obviously going to be a little behind in development for having sat out compared to Jamarques. There were concerns that he was sitting out in order to save a year of eligibility to transfer, but I've heard Ramel plans to return. Which is nice.

The general consensus on Gary is that surgery should take care of the problem with his shoulder and that he'll be back better than ever.

And I've heard the names of one or two guards to keep an eye out for in the transfer portal.

I would say we probably should ease up a tad on the strength of schedule though.  Rutgers and Penn State did pretty well this year playing garbage and racking up a bunch of wins in the non-con.

44 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Great news on Lloyd.  I have been very worried about that.  I hope your intel is right as it was on Matt A being a cancer. 

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

This is an big offseason for Wilhelm. I think he's got the talent to be a consistent performer at this level. Would love to see him take a big step this offseason. I think some combination of him and Kieta will be a big answer to how they replace Walker.

If CJ sticks around, I think he'll be poised for a big bounce back next season.

8 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

This is an big offseason for Wilhelm. I think he's got the talent to be a consistent performer at this level. Would love to see him take a big step this offseason. I think some combination of him and Kieta will be a big answer to how they replace Walker.

If CJ sticks around, I think he'll be poised for a big bounce back next season.

The good news on Wilhelm is that he goes into the off-season healthy for the first time since his junior season of high school.  He actually will be able to fully work on his game.

11 hours ago, hskr4life said:

If our 1-2 punch down low next year is Keita/Oleg, we are going to be in trouble.  Keita is a nice defender and rebounder but doesn't have much for an offensive game at all.  Oleg is a role player at best unless he has a massive improvement between this year and next year.

25 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Of course it'd be nice to see, but at some point you figure he is what he appears to be.

Maybe, but last season he was a good to very good shooter. So we have a season of good and a season of bad. That's not really a new phenomenon and I can think of more than few examples where players rebounded from a down year. 

54 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Maybe, but last season he was a good to very good shooter. So we have a season of good and a season of bad. That's not really a new phenomenon and I can think of more than few examples where players rebounded from a down year. 

He is deficient in a lot more areas than shooting