MICHIGAN STATE GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

11 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

Ah. 

AM and LB don't strike me as similar people. 

I didnt say they were.

But I can tell ya if they want to be better players and have better abilities that wont be reached in nebraska. So if she is fine with being ok and being around friends she probably dont care but if she wants to make the pros she will be like Leah and Jess and go where you can develop. And that would be how they are similar

Edited by KarlHessEatMy....

1 minute ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I haven't gotten one.

Interesting I got one at 11:19 this morning. Have until the 7th to reserve your tickets. 

They actually gave a list of potential dates Nebraska might be hosting as well. The email I got said we have the potential to host rounds 1-6. With rounds 4,5,6 being played at the Bob Devaney Sports Center. 

Edited by KarlHessEatMy....

8 minutes ago, kansashusker said:

Lots of good info and opinions on this board, but some of the stuff is just totally off the wall.   The continual fascination with Shimmy amazes me.  Somebody please chart her career and how long after she arrives as an assistant it usually is before the head coach is fired or resigns under pressure.  She has wiped out multiple good head coaches.  Somebody ask Coach Yori's opinion.  Guessing she would say one of worst hires she ever made.  

I know, she has bad luck with that. I was wondering if she is the problem, or just has bad luck.

13 minutes ago, kansashusker said:

Lots of good info and opinions on this board, but some of the stuff is just totally off the wall.   The continual fascination with Shimmy amazes me.  Somebody please chart her career and how long after she arrives as an assistant it usually is before the head coach is fired or resigns under pressure.  She has wiped out multiple good head coaches.  Somebody ask Coach Yori's opinion.  Guessing she would say one of worst hires she ever made.  

I didn't have to chart it. After Nebraska, Shimmy has been to Clemson, Florida and Minnesota. Each stop was two years.

2 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

I think it can be problematic inferring someone will transfer based on observing their body language on the bench. 

Thank gosh for opinions and us being peeons out here to make things problematic. 

And I think many ppl from many teams can say they saw the body language before someone transferred. 

Sam - I did not say on the bench. As I have stated, I like to watch interactions quite a bit. To the point sometimes I can miss a play. Now I am not saying AM will transfer or even consider a transfer. As I pointed out earlier she was going to go to another school before covid.  But I have noticed a few things with this team. 

5 minutes ago, kansashusker said:

dont forget texas tech bugs.  that ended in a mess too

I guess I didn't know about that one.  But with you having some insight into the program and knowing things we don't. you have to give us some leway on what we see from the outside.

Edited by Bugeaters1

1 hour ago, All About the Corn said:

Whalen is not a good coach, but also think we could do better than Shimmy.

I was thinking, if Amy is retained, Shimmy could be an assistant upgrade. I think recruiting, and post player development, are strenghs of hers.  Not sure what happened during the Yori years, but thought Gray-Miller did her job. I am not close to the program, so just my impression.

Another game of too many turnovers in part as unable to handle the press as should have been expected and practiced for.  Poor in the paint shooting.  Only 3 points from the bench.  Unfortunately Williams contract goes to April 2026,which we can not wait for termination.  She should not get a year extension so those of you that know Alberts need to get in his ear. Here is her employment agreement:

https://nebraska.edu/-/media/projects/unca/docs/transparency/contracts/amy-williams-contract-of-employment.pdf

Don't think I can really add anything new to what has been said.  Disappointing game, overall disappointing season.  Some highs certainly, but the lows were pretty low.  I did not feel optimistic about winning this game- I always tend to think there is a "revenge factor" for the team that loses the first game, esp. if the teams look pretty even.  Thought after we got away w/ a W in the first matchup that MSU might be a little more likely to win a game vs. NU on a neutral court.  Oddly enough, that matchup occurred and this is the result.  Of course, whatever else happens in a game, the ball has to go in the basket a better percentage than the opponent most of the time in order to win.  MSU got the better end of the deal in that regard.

I have been thinking for awhile that Coach Williams maybe had bought herself another year based on last year's success.  I see at least a few feel like perhaps the time is now for her to move on.  I don't know if my assessment is accurate we will see.  Just saying it has been my prevailing thought.  I know for sure that not only do we need more overall talent, but more bodies to rely on that are more talented (i.e. a fuller roster).  Seemed like we often got very little from the bench in games this season, particularly in conf. play (now I have not browsed the season stats so maybe I'm wrong but this is my impression trying to rely on memory).  I have my doubts that Coach W. and co. will somehow accomplish that before next season starts (i.e. said talent infusion).  We have some nice talent coming in as far as we can tell (2 players are Gatorade players of the year, I think that is a first for WBB- let me know if that is wrong) but three talented players obviously will not be enough (one is a verbal).  Of course that is to offset at best the losses that will occur.  Sorry for the verbiage.  We will see how much they want to play in the postseason as they have time to think about today's game, work on their game individually as well as practices, and await the WNIT pairings

Edited by mwm89

To get fired Whalen had to go 22-47 in conference over the last 4 years. That is awful.  We were 24-9, 11-7 just last year and made the tournament. Amy also has 3 years left on her contract. It is unimaginable to me that she would be going anywhere anytime soon.  Not judging her coaching ability at all, just comparing numbers. One other recruiting thing that people may or may not be considering.....and that is Nebraska is not that easy to sell up until she gets the recruit to visit campus. I think we get lots of players from say Minnesota and the Dakotas because their weather is even worse than ours.

A lot of things bother me with Amy's coaching. I'll just comment on a couple.  In  all the years Amy has been at Nebraska her teams always have a tough time breaking a full court press.  I'm surprised every team doesn't press us the whole game.  We always look like we've never seen a press before.  The other team usually gets several steals and easy baskets, like tonight.  Also we have the worst out of bounds plays.  Her inbounds plays seem to always take too long to get someone open just to get the  ball  in.  We usually lose the ball 2 or more times a game.  It's time for a change but I doubt it will happen this year.

9 hours ago, longtimefan said:

A lot of things bother me with Amy's coaching. I'll just comment on a couple.  In  all the years Amy has been at Nebraska her teams always have a tough time breaking a full court press.  I'm surprised every team doesn't press us the whole game.  We always look like we've never seen a press before.  The other team usually gets several steals and easy baskets, like tonight.  Also we have the worst out of bounds plays.  Her inbounds plays seem to always take too long to get someone open just to get the  ball  in.  We usually lose the ball 2 or more times a game.  It's time for a change but I doubt it will happen this year.

I agree. If I was an opposing coach, I’d press all day. I also do not feel like the offense that we run plays into our strengths at all. Lex is our highest 3 pt percent shooter and this Offense is a 3 pt shooting offense?  We have good bigs, use an offense that works it in. And  we need to be able to run a zone. So we can still play d and cut the foul trouble. Instead our girls just don’t play d. IMO.