Big Ten Conference Record

OurDecay

19 hours ago, OurDecay said:

Just thought I’d throw this out for appreciation:

NU is completing their 12th season in the Big Ten conference.  Only twice before have they won at least 8 games in conference:

2017-18 (Miles): 13-5

2013-14 (Miles): 11-7 (made NCAAs)

These are our conference records in the Big Ten:

8-10 (current)

4-16

3-16

2-18

6-14

13-5

6-12

6-12

5-13

11-7

5-13

4-14

Even if we lost these last two regular season games, this will be - by percentage- our third-best Big Ten in history.

For a team that lost so much off a bad team from a year ago, has lost multiple starters for the season this year, and has been forced deep into their bench and even walk ons…that is amazing.  You can make arguments about relative conference strength year to year, but the bottom line is we always measure ourselves against our peers.  And by that metric this is the third best season in the last dozen years.

Carry on.

RDK

13-64 in Big Ten regular season with Doc on the staff

60-86 otherwise

I like the guy, he gave an honest effort, but his style of defense just didn't work in this conference, for whatever reason.

7 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Win % wise his (or her) point still stands. 

Edit: I see win% was mentioned in the original post

Perfect. I missed that point, even when rereading.

Yeah my point was more an observation. We could possibly get to 8 wins in a couple of those prior seasons as much as we could stay at 8 or get to 10 this season.

I wonder how much a longer conference season has impacted the game and selection possibilities. Whether those extra 2 pushed a team over the bubble or they would have been better off scheduling their own 2 non-conference games.

22 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

More than a 22-10 (13-5) #4 team?

That’s the Team I was referring too. Beat Michigan by 20 in Lincoln, lost to them by the same in the B1G Tournament, THEY get the nod since Buckeyes/Wolverines Run the Conference & go on to play in the Natty. We don’t even get a Home NIT game, talk about Nebrasketball. There’s Exhibit A in Spades ♠️ 

1 minute ago, HuskerFever said:

Yeah my point was more an observation. We could possibly get to 8 wins in a couple of those prior seasons as much as we could stay at 8 or get to 10 this season.

I wonder how much a longer conference season has impacted the game and selection possibilities. Whether those extra 2 pushed a team over the bubble or they would have been better off scheduling their own 2 non-conference games.

What's crazy to me, is that psychopath in Iowa City has managed to pull off 8-12 B1G wins pretty much every year. Can we please have that in Lincoln...

57 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I had very similar thoughts to you when looking back at records.  I even looked further back at our Big 12 records prior to leaving.  There we only played 16 conference games, which makes it harder to compare but also - in theory - gives you 4 easier games per year.  So the overall records would seem to trend better versus what we have now, where we play less non-conference games.

I researched this a while back but have since forgotten the details, but our non-con SOS in the Collier/Sadler and even Nee days was…bad.  Miles eventually adjusted but it feels like we’ve had some rough non-con under Fred.

Even discounting percentage and just looking at raw wins versus big-boy conference opponents in the regular season, this year is pretty good.  

In the 11 seasons Collier & Sadler coached us in the Big 12 - from 1999-00 to 2010-11 - NU beat 8 conference opponents ONCE…they went 8-8 in the 2008-09 season.  Sure, less opportunities than we have now by 4…but we’ve watched NU beat 8 conference opponents for only the 4th time in the last 24 years this season.

Here’s a Fun Hypothetical: Does a 4th Place Michigan Team with a 13-5 record & a 20 point Win over Nebraska in Ann Arbor stay at Home in 2018?  You’ve got a better chance of seeing Jim Harbaugh dot the “I” in Ohio during the Football game next Fall. 

Edited by Handy Johnson