Big Ten Tournament

HuskerFever

Might as well get this thread started. Obviously will be more for updates throughout the tournament, but there's some interesting scenarios for seeding right now.

Here's a few potential outcomes that can impact our current #10 seed with two games remaining:

Wisconsin: at least match win-for-win to remain ahead (vs Purdue, at Minnesota)

Penn State: at least match win-for-win + tiebreaker (#2 seed results) to remain ahead (at Northwestern, vs Maryland)

Michigan State: lose both games and Nebraska wins both games to jump ahead (at Nebraska, vs Ohio State)

Rutgers: lose both games and Nebraska wins both games to jump ahead (at Minnesota, vs Northwestern)

Iowa: lose both games and Nebraska wins both games to jump ahead (at Indiana, vs Nebraska)

Nebraska: vs Michigan State, at Iowa

What is essentially comes to is:

1. Nebraska wins out, any 3 teams lose out (Michigan State, Rutgers, Iowa)

2. Match win-for-win with any 2 teams (Wisconsin, Penn State)

2 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

This will obviously play a role in seeding.  MSU and Minnesota will not be made up per Izzo.

Does Michigan State get in with an 18-12, 10-9 finish (which would assume a loss to NU, win vs OSU)?  Or do they need to win 19?  In that case do we see Pfeiffer, McJunkins, and Boroski?

1 hour ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Penn State is probably going 8-12 also; I'm assuming the second tiebreaker with them is overall record, so unless they somehow beat Iowa, the Buckeyes are it.

Maryland is not a good road team at all.  Their best road performance is a 35 point win over Minnesota or a 3 point loss to Purdue.

10 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Penn State is probably going 8-12 also; I'm assuming the second tiebreaker with them is overall record, so unless they somehow beat Iowa, the Buckeyes are it.

I believe it's record against the top teams in the league. Both lost to Purdue, so it would basically ride on who ends up with a win vs the highest seeded team. Right now that would be ours against Maryland, but 2-8 is such who knows who will end up there.

10 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

The 2nd tiebreaker is winning percentage vs top teams in the conference and you keep going down the line.

Both Nebraska and Penn St are 0-2 vs Purdue, so you go to the next team(s)

Most scenarios have Nebraska winning the tiebreaker over Penn St if both teams finish 8-12

23 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

And that's why I don't bet on college basketball (Penn State 68, Northwestern 65).  I guess we can quit doing the research on tiebreakers for a while.

Seeds 10-12 are the only ones in play now.

Scenarios (assuming UW loses to Purdue for simplicity):

NU wins, PSU loses, UW loses: #11 seed (unless Maryland is #2, then #10 seed)

NU wins, PSU loses, UW wins: #10 seed

NU wins, PSU wins, UW loses: #11 seed

NU loses, PSU loses, UW loses: #11 seed

NU loses, PSU loses, UW wins: #12 seed

NU loses, PSU wins, UW loses: #12 seed