Coaching Carousel 2023

49r

12 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Kinda ironic that McDermott lost out on a once-in-a-lifetime place (Notre Dame's mystique) because his current team didn't lose early enough to secure said position in South Bend. Contrary to that, it's a shrewd move by Shrewsberry to get outta Happy Valley, and a loss secured that new position at UND. Twist of fate....

Mac is a good coach but Shrewsberry was plan A all along. Think Mac was their back up plan. 

29 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Answer to question of the day: They both failed at Big 12 schools with names ending in "State".

Dana Altman - KSU

Greg McDermott - ISU

However, IMO, Altman didn’t really fail at KSU even though he was fired.  I felt he made them a better program and fired him too quickly.

Terry had a 153-156 record in 10 seasons as a head coach and went from UTEP (where he would likely have been fired) to take an assistant's job at Texas. Beard gets fired, and he takes over a loaded roster and has a great year. 

I'm sure UT would have preferred to make a splash hire, but they had their hand forced by his success this year. The only comparison I can think of off the top of my head is at Wichita State, where the guy who succeeded Gregg Marshall also had a good interim season. He just got fired after 3 seasons. Maybe there are some examples of where it worked out to hire the interim coach after a successful season, but I can't think of any.

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Terry had a 153-156 record in 10 seasons as a head coach and went from UTEP (where he would likely have been fired) to take an assistant's job at Texas. Beard gets fired, and he takes over a loaded roster and has a great year. 

I'm sure UT would have preferred to make a splash hire, but they had their hand forced by his success this year. The only comparison I can think of off the top of my head is at Wichita State, where the guy who succeeded Gregg Marshall also had a good interim season. He just got fired after 3 seasons. Maybe there are some examples of where it worked out to hire the interim coach after a successful season, but I can't think of any.

Steve Fisher took over Michigan for the 1989 NCAA Tournament after Bill Frieder was forced out by AD Bo Schembechler because Frieder announced he would coach at Arizona State the next season. 

In an NCAA Tournament and Final Four that I covered, Fisher took the Wolverines to the national championship.

While it's true that Fischer never won another title with the Wolverines, he made two more title games and won 185 games in seven-plus seasons.

In another interesting Fisher note, he went six seasons at San Diego State before registering his first winning Mountain West season, finishing at .500 or worse again only when the Aztecs went 9-9 in his final season, 2016-2017.

Sometimes, you're successful immediately. Sometimes, it takes a while.

Edited by jayschool