Who would have thought

Merlin

One distinct difference (In my opinion) - I think the men’s head coach is more willing to take a long, hard look in the mirror, be accountable and retool the team’s schemes/philosophies than the women’s head coach ever has been thus far. He’s more willing to make significant changes to maximize his team’s chances of success than Amy has so far shown herself to be. 
Again, that’s just my opinion. Some of you may agree or disagree and that’s great; that’s what makes this a dynamic yet respectful forum.
I fully expect Amy will be back next year. Good for her. But she’s really going to have to show me something this offseason in terms of her willingness to be fully accountable and put the team’s success ahead of her personal ego and/or her loyalty to her staff. 

42 minutes ago, Neb Nets said:

One distinct difference (In my opinion) - I think the men’s head coach is more willing to take a long, hard look in the mirror, be accountable and retool the team’s schemes/philosophies than the women’s head coach ever has been thus far. He’s more willing to make significant changes to maximize his team’s chances of success than Amy has so far shown herself to be. 
Again, that’s just my opinion. Some of you may agree or disagree and that’s great; that’s what makes this a dynamic yet respectful forum.
I fully expect Amy will be back next year. Good for her. But she’s really going to have to show me something this offseason in terms of her willingness to be fully accountable and put the team’s success ahead of her personal ego and/or her loyalty to her staff. 

True, but it took a gentle (perhaps a not so gentle) push from Trev to make necessary changes.  Amy should be safe, yet with that same push.  I still do not believe major changes are required; but certainly adjustments are required.  

Another difference.  (And perhaps readers are tired of seeing me harp on this).  FH started the season with 16 or 17 healthy players.  AW had nine.  Yes, the injuries hit the men's team hard, but once they did, there were other players to turn to.  And there are nine freshman "under development" who will probly be available to step up next year. 

Having bodies is where it must begin.  Failing that, nothing else that we discuss here (coaching, motivation, player development) matters.

Edited by Tom Jones
had another thought

I do think it will take a push from Trev for Amy to make some hard changes. After seeing Bourne blow off Mays would think she could be on the list? Plus regarding transfers, you need to look at trying to bring in players who can challenge for a starting spot. If a transfer thinks it will only be in a supporting role then I could see them look elsewhere. Bringing in players who could start will push your returning players to get better if they feel they could be coming off the bench. 

Why don’t we improve as the season develops?  I would argue that we regress.  I watched a Wisconsin team dismantle Rutgers tonight and I doubt we would beat the Badgers now.  Amy has to look in the mirror, self assess her program with some guidance and insistence from Trev and implement some changes.  

We'll see after the season, and how we do in the tourney...whatever/whichever it/they might be.  Stones do need to be turned it seems. As everyone here has expressed in one way or another, this season hasn't met the expectations, as seen during the pre-season.  The expectations weren't that unrealistic. Finish in the top half of the league....or better.

But have we improved much at all really ?

And if we lose all those Sam, Issie, Jazz, etc, etc, that we expect...the teams complexation will be really different. And probably way less experienced. Next year may be a tough one.     Less than a full roster now, will show next year ? 

The portal?  What is here to draw from the pool. The few that will be out there, that are high level, want to go to a tourney team.  

The thing about Bourne and Mays is pretty concerning really. Was Issie just frustrated at the moment, or are there bigger internal issues going on. Just doesn't seem like something Issie does...unless there's internal issues. Who knows?

Alberts may get involved. If it weren't for all the football goings on.....he may or may not press the issue.  But we know he's done it in most of the sports at UNL. 

Actually it's women's basketball that seems unscathed so far.  And if we end up a .500 team again...or worse. 

Some other B1G teams have gotten better in the same amount of time.

Just don't see  him sitting on his hands.  If some behind the scenes "encouragement" is put in place...roster or asst. coaching changes, portal, recruiting. 

Since there hasn't been a total collapse, he probably will give her more time, but with assurances and concrete adjustments being made.

For those that have been here a while...at her hiring I gave her 5 years to make her mark, or not.  Same as Frost, and Hoiberg, etc. We're there now.  

Like is said for most professions. At some point...most reach their max level of capabilities. Where ever that is.

Sorry for the rambling. Some of this has been said anyway

13 hours ago, redsteve said:

We'll see after the season, and how we do in the tourney...whatever/whichever it/they might be.  Stones do need to be turned it seems. As everyone here has expressed in one way or another, this season hasn't met the expectations, as seen during the pre-season.  The expectations weren't that unrealistic. Finish in the top half of the league....or better.

But have we improved much at all really ?

And if we lose all those Sam, Issie, Jazz, etc, etc, that we expect...the teams complexation will be really different. And probably way less experienced. Next year may be a tough one.     Less than a full roster now, will show next year ? 

The portal?  What is here to draw from the pool. The few that will be out there, that are high level, want to go to a tourney team.  

The thing about Bourne and Mays is pretty concerning really. Was Issie just frustrated at the moment, or are there bigger internal issues going on. Just doesn't seem like something Issie does...unless there's internal issues. Who knows?

Alberts may get involved. If it weren't for all the football goings on.....he may or may not press the issue.  But we know he's done it in most of the sports at UNL. 

Actually it's women's basketball that seems unscathed so far.  And if we end up a .500 team again...or worse. 

Some other B1G teams have gotten better in the same amount of time.

Just don't see  him sitting on his hands.  If some behind the scenes "encouragement" is put in place...roster or asst. coaching changes, portal, recruiting. 

Since there hasn't been a total collapse, he probably will give her more time, but with assurances and concrete adjustments being made.

For those that have been here a while...at her hiring I gave her 5 years to make her mark, or not.  Same as Frost, and Hoiberg, etc. We're there now.  

Like is said for most professions. At some point...most reach their max level of capabilities. Where ever that is.

Sorry for the rambling. Some of this has been said anyway

Do you think we will be a tournament team.  NIT still requires .500 and I don't see us winning 1 of the next 3.  Just shy of 13K fans and we still play lethargically.

5 hours ago, caveman said:

Do you think we will be a tournament team.  NIT still requires .500 and I don't see us winning 1 of the next 3.  Just shy of 13K fans and we still play lethargically.

We're right on the edge of getting into the NIT. How we finish the reg. season, plus what ever we might do in the B1G tourney. It may well be game by game counting to hit the .500 mark.  But we're so inconsistent it's nerve-racking.

Any prediction is just a guess.  Wish I knew ....hope we get into the NIT (at least) so the kids get the opportunity for post season play. 

So we get in the NIT. Does that lead to better play or improved skills?  Our bench play has dried up and I don’t see any of them making us better next year.  A lot depends upon Jaz.  If she comes back it will be very important and her presence might attract a talented portal player.  We need a good guard and a good power forward to appear from somewhere.

1 hour ago, Neb Nets said:

Call it a pipe dream or a long shot, but I’m hoping the fact that we have another Aussie joining the team next fall just might make Jaz more inclined to return for her senior season. 

26368?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1621135520477626368%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=

Edited by Red Don

i have seen that and a few other Petrie clips. She looks as "ready to play D1" as any recruit we have had in years. Size, strength, speed, dexterity, court vision .... she seems to have all that PLUS under the basket moves. There has been talk on here about freshmen as impact players. She could be one.  Curious about who #4 is and if she has ever thought about taking up residence in the middle of cornfields. 

3 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

didn't the NIT remove that .500 marker? i don't know if this is true, but, heard someone mention this on the radio earlier in the week. although, i do know they discussing men's basketball at the time.

I see on the NIT removed the .500 but don't see the same rule for the WNIT

per wiki:

Any team from a Division I conference, or a Division I independent team, will be considered. Any team considered for an at-large berth must have an overall record of .500 or better.