uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 28: Maryland

HuskerFever

6 hours ago, Red Don said:

And didn't Sam Hoiberg also make that amazing play stealing Wiscy's pass to their player under the basket in Overtime to again help seal the Win.

A bit earlier Sam H also had a steal under the basket and took a charge. 

I know his current head coach likes length on defense; but he may have to find a role for a shorter guard moving forward.

26 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

On January 28, Nebraska lost to Maryland by 19 points: 63-82.

On February 19, Nebraska beat Maryland by 4: 70-66.

That's a 23 point swing in 22 days--progress.

That means, by March 12, we'll beat Maryland in the Big Ten tournament championship game by 46 points!

10 hours ago, Swan88 said:

On January 28, Nebraska lost to Maryland by 19 points: 63-82.

On February 19, Nebraska beat Maryland by 4: 70-66.

That's a 23 point swing in 22 days--progress.

If that defnes progress, Jerry Bush in his fourth year set the bar with a 58 point swing in 14 days:

Sat, Feb 8, 1958   @ Kansas (2) Big 8   L 46 102         Allen Fieldhouse

Sat, Feb 22, 1958     Kansas (4) Big 8   W 43 41         Nebraska Coliseum

On 2/19/2023 at 9:12 PM, royalfan said:

He is the defensive coordinator.  Howards schemes obviously a large part of it. 

I'm curious if you have a source for this? Especially the "Loesner has all the scouts," part. That's pretty atypical for a staff, usually scouts are rotated. 

I think it's pretty clear that Loesner is the "lead assistant," and is constantly in Fred's ear and is also making adjustments on the fly/calling out things - I'm not arguing with that. 

But the defense we are playing this year is new to this year, and it's from Howard. 

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

I'm curious if you have a source for this? Especially the "Loesner has all the scouts," part. That's pretty atypical for a staff, usually scouts are rotated. 

I think it's pretty clear that Loesner is the "lead assistant," and is constantly in Fred's ear and is also making adjustments on the fly/calling out things - I'm not arguing with that. 

But the defense we are playing this year is new to this year, and it's from Howard. 

It was during a recent BTN broadcast during the game.  I believe it was a road game, possibly Rutgers.  The commentator specifically referred to him as the "defensive coordinator" and said he handles every scout and also even alluded to how rare and unheard of that is, just as you did.  Also, when I watched South Alabama to get a feel for his matchup zone, it did not resemble this in many ways.  They were not auto doubling the post for example.  

I also agree that the defense is new to this year.  We were using Sadlers schemes previously.  Only until late in the year last year did it become obvious to me that Nate took on a larger role, and our coaching in all aspects has been noticeably better ever since.   That being said, Howard was largely hired because of his defensive knowledge and his imprints are obviously on the defense, I just personally don't think near as much as you do.   

Also Sam said on his radio show early in year that Nate is running the defense.  

Whatever the case is, they have collectively figured out a really, really good scheme and we don't have guys confused too terribly often.   There are a few nuances I would like to see off it but it could lead to confusion, so who knows.  In any event, when I posted several times that I thought we would be better than most thought, because we would take defense seriously, I was pretty sure the effort would be there.  I was not sure that the coaching would be.  With Loesner and Howard, we have the defensive coaching in spades.   I believe that we can go after a little more scoring skill with this staff in place and still get solid defense with these schemes.  

Edited by royalfan