uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 28: Maryland

HuskerFever

Went to some other teams forums to see what they’re saying about us.  A couple of things I noticed.

1.  The Keisei love is real.  And I mean real real.  One Michigan fan even said they wouldn’t mind him hitting the portal and transferring there.

2.  While there are still a lot of jokes, the realization that “Nebraska, should they win out, actually has a decent resume” is hitting some of the boards.

3. No one and I mean no one wants to play us right now.  Said one Rutgers fan “I absolutely would not want to be a 7 seed needing a win to get in the dance and seeing them in the 7-10 game.”

7 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Went to some other teams forums to see what they’re saying about us.  A couple of things I noticed.

1.  The Keisei love is real.  And I mean real real.  One Michigan fan even said they wouldn’t mind him hitting the portal and transferring there.

2.  While there are still a lot of jokes, the realization that “Nebraska, should they win out, actually has a decent resume” is hitting some of the boards.

3. No one and I mean no one wants to play us right now.  Said one Rutgers fan “I absolutely would not want to be a 7 seed needing a win to get in the dance and seeing them in the 7-10 game.”

Coach H needs to do whatever he legally can do to keep Keisei here until he graduates. 

Edited by Nighthawk

5 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Tominaga becomes recruiting target #1, especially if he isn’t able to benefit from NIL.

In some ways, there was some personal deja vu for me today. I remember sitting in my same seats vs Wisconsin for no sit Sunday, my then young son - I think he was all of 6 - cheered and stood the entire game. Well, we got to share in another one, now he’s 16 and much, much, much, wiser of course. But Hoiberg and the boys have given us some awesome memories that we will cherish. I’m having a blast and I’m so happy for the boys, the fans, the program, the administration, let’s keep it rolling!!! 

I hear ya loud & clear, it's fun right now. #GBRAlways

Feels like Willard might have overcoached it a bit at the end of regulation and OT.

In regulation Maryland has the ball off a rebound and probably just runs a iso play with Young. Maryland calls timeout and Nebraska is able to sub in Blaise and Lawrence for Keisei and Wilcher. Young runs iso for a fadeaway anyway but maybe he gets a pass off against the earlier lineup.

In OT Maryland calls timeout with 34 to go and Nebraska is once again able to sub and regroup. Sam Hoiberg steals the inbound and that pretty much seals the game

16 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Feels like Willard might have overcoached it a bit at the end of regulation and OT.

In regulation Maryland has the ball off a rebound and probably just runs a iso play with Young. Maryland calls timeout and Nebraska is able to sub in Blaise and Lawrence for Keisei and Wilcher. Young runs iso for a fadeaway anyway but maybe he gets a pass off against the earlier lineup.

In OT Maryland calls timeout with 34 to go and Nebraska is once again able to sub and regroup. Sam Hoiberg steals the inbound and that pretty much seals the game

Very surprising to see all of the end-game timeouts tonight. Nebraska nearly screwed the pooch with the back-to-back TOs and barely getting the ball inbounds thereafter. I thought for sure Maryland would drive it hard to the rack to get a foul & FTs to win it in regulation (without using a TO at all). The fact Sam Hoiberg was able to force their PG into a contested jumper, I felt that was a 'huge win' in the moment. I believe that Maryland overthought the "moment." Glad Nebraska was able to find a path, some way, somehow, to come out of this dogfight victorious. It was a possession by possession 'moment,' and Sam Hoiberg stole the show--and the ball--to seal it tonight. incredible how Sammy's been so clutch, even without the rigors of a full season to prepare for the moment.

Edited by AuroranHusker

1 minute ago, busticket said:

That steal by Hoiberg was surreal.  I’m still coming down from that play.  Wow.

That kid has stones. Must get that clutch gene from someone. . . man, I wonder if Manny Bando hadn't been injured if we'd ever see the 2023 Sam Hoiberg Show?! Gotta love how hard Sam H. fights for position on every freakin' possession out there against MD dudes much larger than he'll ever be. Dude is a lil' baller. Love to see it.

The first matchup against Maryland, NU had made 9-15 on FTs while MD was 24-26 on FTs. Huge margin. Strangely, Nebraska even shot much higher percentage than MD in that 1st ballgame, yet lost by nearly 20. Sam Hoiberg had a career-high 15.

Tonight, Nebraska was able to capitalize on MD's 24 fouls by shooting 19-25 (after only 2-2 at the half) while MD was only 13-19 tonight. Flipping the script from a 19-point loss on the road to a gutty, gritty OT win at PBA. Sam Hoiberg had the moment of the night with the scoop & score. And, this NU team fights each & every possession, that's all we can ask for. GBR

Edited by AuroranHusker

4 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Today once again showed me I want this whole staff back and working with these kids for a full year.  Couple of the guys you had to redshirt this year are getting good coaching and seeing how to put in the work needed.

Future looks better than it has the last couple of years.

We need to find a bag of cash of Tominaga so he comes back

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

And didn't Sam Hoiberg also make that amazing play stealing Wiscy's pass to their player under the basket in Overtime to again help seal the Win.